|I have just read in the german printmag "AmigaOS" that Haage&Partner|
originally wanted this "upgrade" to be labeled OS4.0 !!
How ridiculous! This feels really _crazy_ to me. As far as the
features they announced are concerned, OS3.7 would be more
appropriate (if at all)!
All the stuff that I and probably most of us Amigans have been
waiting for since ages is _not_ in there (at least not announced):
- NO RTG "movement"
- NO RTA (which was announced for 3.5 IIRC)
- NO preparations for G3/G4 things (even if -- in its 1st version --
it would only be for psychological reasons!)
- NO new GUI (no need to patch those old 3.1 gadgets/windows, just
ADD some new colorful and modern GUI elements with a new API!)
- NO multi-threaded workbench
- NOT even a better "Execute command" window
- NO new "stop-the-patching" ROM chip (which, admittedly, is probably
a question of production costs)
Then I ask myself, who do they aim at with this 3.9 thing?
Do they want to reach some "lost souls" who left the Amiga
sometime ago? They very probably won't come back because of stuff
like an AVI player that cannot play most movies leeched from the
net today (and, if I trust voices on the net, does not even come
as PPC version). So lets forget about these people.
They very probably want to reach the long-time classic Amiga
die-hards! But! Do _they_ need a new shell? Don't most of us have a
TCP/IP stack? Do we need a crippled browser with even _security
features disabled_ (we are talking about an _OS_ folks!)?
I do not think so!