25-May-2022 04:31 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
[Files] Frying Pan 0.3 availableANN.lu
Posted on 24-Aug-2003 17:24 GMT by Rik Sweeney5 comments
View flat
View list
Version 0.3 of the CD Burning Tool Frying Pan is available from Aminet

Download

List of all comments to this article
Sorted by date, most recent at bottom
Comment 1catohagen24-Aug-2003 15:45 GMT
Comment 2Anonymous25-Aug-2003 05:10 GMT
Frying Pan 0.3 available : Comment 3 of 5ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 25-Aug-2003 11:17 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Anonymous):
>Perhaps the author should look into using Reg.net. They can't be too expensive

I'm writing software, too, and looked into such services. They usually have a lot of disadvantages. Here are some:

- the percentage they take of your income can be very high. Obviously this can be compensated by making the product more expensive (that's probably why they dare to ask for such percentages), so it's only a principal question: Are you willing to put up with people who take 10% of "your" money? Btw, all-purpose payment services like PayPal can be cheaper if you don't need specialized support like a download server etc. Unfortunately, PayPal is not available in many countries as a service for receiving money.

- they offload the risk with credit cards to you: if a customer reverses payment or a payment was fraudulent, you have to return money to these services (even if it happens six months after sale). This does not happen with cash/bank transfer payments where it is your own decision to adopt a generous reversal poliy. Or not. With software, I personally am very sceptical about reversals.

And if you ship physical goods (ie. CDs):

- these services usually demand that, for physical goods, you use a form of shipment with tangible documentation (ie. registered shipment). This multiplies shipment costs for customers by a factor of two to five.

- they normally have a very unflexible payout schedule. For example, you might receive the money that was directed at you only every four weeks (or every three months). Until then, you will have to finance all costs for production and shipment in advance.

Final thought: Americans don't seem to be aware of payment methods beyond credit cards. One usually is met with a blind stare if one mentions a bank transfer (which, for Europeans, is a few mouseclicks). If you really need to address those 5-10% of the Amiga mrket, you will have to accept cards. The remaining 90% of Amiga users live in Europe and normally have no problems with using registered mail etc., especially if it helps to keep the price low. I personally only mention PayPal on my web site but most customers ask if they can pay with a bank transfer or pay cash.
Jump...
#4 jools
TopPrevious commentNext commentbottom
List of all comments to this article (continued)
Comment 4jools25-Aug-2003 11:27 GMT
Comment 5NekoRegistered user28-Aug-2003 07:09 GMT
Back to Top