|[News] Amiga OS4 pre-release update available||ANN.lu|
|Posted on 10-Oct-2004 12:25 GMT by Peter Gordon||112 comments|
Taken from AmigaWorld.net:|
"It is with considerable satisfaction that Hyperion Entertainment can now announce the immediate availability for download of the first Amiga OS 4.0 Developer Pre-release update for registered Amiga OS 4.0 users."
Due to the extent and scope of the improvements incorporated into the update, it comes in the form of a full ISO image (33 MB) which needs to be burned on CD-R(W) by the user and is intended to replace the original Amiga OS 4.0 Developer Pre-release CD for installation and rescue purposes.
Please note that the file as well as the resulting CD is for personal use only and may not be distributed in any form to third parties.
Registered users may also opt to order a new full CD which also contains the updated SDK and contribution section (details and terms to be announced shortly).
Among the new features are:
* Kernel-Level Altivec support.
* Much improved compatibilty/speed of 68k emulation (JIT not included yet)
* Improved 68k FPU emulation
* Fully PowerPC-native Picasso96/graphics system
* Fully PowerPC-native MUI
* USB support for input devices
* Support for onboard serial and parallel hardware
* Driver support for the SiI0680 IDE adaptor (including UDMA support)
* Improved PIO mode VIA driver
* Improved Internet capabilities and better ethernet support.
* Printing support
* Improved audio hardware support, including new drivers.
* Comprehensive bug fixes, speed improvements, added features and functionality across all system components.
* and much more...
|List of all comments to this article|
|Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 78 of 112||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Almos Rajnai (18.104.22.168) on 11-Oct-2004 17:38 GMT|
|In reply to Comment 72 (MarkTime):|
"I dunno...having read the argument from both sides, it seems someone asked an innocent question about the JIT compiler and got the above type of sarcastic response."
You don't have questions to me, but I do have one for you: what is sarcastic in my answer about a crashy system? In any release of AOS4, including but not limited to the prerelease stability is a main question. This is one thing why it takes a bit long while it reaches the average users.
I don't want to increase the instability with the half baked JIT emulation. I hope this is very clear now. I don't intend to be sarcastic at all.
Ask me if you are curious, my name is not Ralph. ;)
But please send the questions directly to me, I don't read ann.lu too often. The air here is... Hm... Let's say too Blue to me.
|List of all comments to this article (continued)||