|[Motd] A few questions...||ANN.lu|
|Posted on 28-Apr-2000 09:20 GMT by Christian Kemp||14 comments|
(1) What "accept credit cards and get a cheque" services are reliable? I don't think I could get a real merchant account. (2) Would you buy t-shirts, mugs or mouse mats with ANN logos or other content? (3) If I were to do a sister site to ANN that catered for generic computer news, would you visit? (4) Do you know any Amiga shop or company interested in online (preferably CPM) advertising?
|A few questions... : Comment 1 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Thomas Jensen on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
(2) Hmm, maybe
(3) no, probably not. (not that I dont like your site, it's just that there's
so many other computer sites and I don't visit them either).
|A few questions... : Comment 2 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by John Shepard on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|1. You're not the only one looking for such a service. :-) BuyIt is passable for physical goods (buyit.beseen.com) - if you can shoehorn your products into their slightly weird product system. If ibill.com is still around, they'd be a better match for electronic goods (except for the 15% they take out). Beyond that I think we all just wish the banks would simply let you credit from your card to someone else's checking account, instead of making that big expensive distinction between "people who sell" and "people who buy".|
2. They aren't exactly flying off the shelves over on Moo Bunny. But then, your logo actually works well on white shirts, so maybe you'll have better luck selling shirts than I will. As to whether I'd buy such a shirt - I'm out of money right now. :-)
3. The concept is a good one (I'd been planning something similar with Rastport) but the real test is going to be, the audience. My guess: only some of the current ANN readership would frequent it, so it would probably always be the "little brother" to ANN (much like the Moo Bunny General Discussions) - unless you get an influx of non-Amiga readers, which probably means finding sources of news that are fresher than ZDnet and Slashdot in order to compete in the wider space. That's my theory anyway.
4. If I did, they'd already be advertising on Moo Bunny. :-)
A suggestion regarding shirts and merchandise: if you can have a physical presence (or arrange for your wares to have a physical presence) at an Amiga show, you're more likely to catch impulse buys on goods that don't sell well electronically.
|A few questions... : Comment 3 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Andrea Monni on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|1) dunno, but the vapor folks should know something about!|
2) why not? :)
4) dunno... but try to ask to the italian magazine AmigaLife (write to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, he's the editorial coordinator).
Please: more c.s.amiga.* coverage! As the old ANN times!!!
|A few questions... : Comment 4 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Teemu I. Yliselš on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|2. To be honest, probably not. I'm not really into this kind of fan stuff, especially if having to order it from abroad. Having said that, if you were ever to sell them at an Amiga show f.ex, and I happened to be there, then sure I could buy some.|
3. Sure I'd visit it.
|A few questions... : Comment 5 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Frederik on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|1. I don't know, I never order via. internet, don't find it secure enough|
2. Yes, if it is nice..
3. Maybe, but I am not sure.
4. I really don't know, maybe Kiwi Multimedia (of Denmark), but I cant say for sure.
|A few questions... : Comment 6 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Martin Baute on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|In reply to Comment 4 (Teemu I. Yliselš):|
: 2. To be honest, probably not. I'm not really into this kind of fan stuff,
: especially if having to order it from abroad. Having said that, if you were
: ever to sell them at an Amiga show f.ex, and I happened to be there, then
: sure I could buy some.
Same for me. P&P is just too expensive...
|A few questions... : Comment 7 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Paolo "Mod3m" D'Urso on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|2) Not, only if i'm at some show.|
3) No, thanks. I like reading just about Amiga when I'm on the net :)
4) Hmm.. which are the prices? =)
|A few questions... : Comment 8 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Ben Deemer on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|1. I have found PayPal very reliable, and configurable for checking and|
4. the rest doesn't really excite me, I don't collect Logo Items, unless
given to me, and I don't wear clothing that advertises the manufacturer
anywhere on the viewable side..."they should pay me to do this, not charge
me more because it is "the thing"....." no flames please this is my view.
|A few questions... : Comment 9 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Colin Wilson on 27-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|2) quite possibly - it would depend on total cost including postage - we`ve already got about 40 mugs (we just seem to acquire them :-} ) so another one or two wouldn`t go amiss :-)|
3) I would probably visit quite often - my default homepage is currently www.theregister.co.uk which carries a lot of technology news, often in their own satirical way :-)
** I think there`s still a company local to me who print mugs with company logos etc - I did mention it on another comment page somewhere, and added that if you were interested I could follow it up. Let me know :-)
|A few questions... : Comment 10 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by buzz on 28-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|you can advertise my site if you like|
but i wont pay you :) mind you.. i get some 4 gig of traffic
a month and i dont banner advertise or make money :)
hehe im not having a go.. just winding you up :)
anyway.. hm im kinda drunk never post when drunk eh :)
anyway.. forget the tshirts... give us amiga ann
panties to spread the news to all our ladies :)
and wear ourselves when we is feeling abit horny :d
|A few questions... : Comment 11 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by Bolton Peck on 28-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|In reply to Comment 10 (buzz):|
Here's to that disease involving alcohol and the internet!! Its the
spiritual successor to that disease involving alcohol and the
telephone! I would buy ANN merchandise, I would even visit the sister
site, although as an afterthought to visiting the main site! Yep, I'm
drunk too. It being friday and all. Well, keep up the good work!
|A few questions... : Comment 12 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by BH on 28-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|I'm not sure how well t-shirts will sell unless you were to make them really cool or unique. I wouldn't buy a "Wired.com" shirt, or anything like that, but that's just me.|
As for the Computer news thing, I read wired.com every day or 2, so your site would have to stick out beyond that for me. There are so many of these generic tech news sites, that it might get lost in the wave of 'em all. I think you would do a good job, but there's a lot out there.
Good luck either way. : )
|A few questions... : Comment 13 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by John Chandler on 29-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|1) Don't know|
2) Definitely. I don't have enough Amiga-related t-shirts for the office, so need more to help with promotion to colleagues and clients ;-)
3) Possibly, depends how good the coverage is. If it's like ANN, I would likely visit often.
4) I'll leave to the companies. Any Amiga company with an online store would do well to get in touch.
|A few questions... : Comment 14 of 14||ANN.lu|
|Posted by SirRUSH on 30-Apr-2000 22:00 GMT|
|2) Yes. :)|
|Anonymous, there are 14 items in your selection ||