07-Oct-2022 12:57 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 109 items in your selection (but only 59 shown due to limitation) [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 109]
[News] New MorphOS 0.4 ReleaseANN.lu
Posted on 15-Feb-2001 03:29 GMT by Christian Kemp109 comments
View flat
View list
Ralph Schmidt announces the MorphOS 0.4 Release with a lot of new native OS modules, an OS Module Plugin, a WarpOS/Warp3d emulation and a 2hour timeout.
Finally, the 3rd MorphOS Release is available.
Quite a while has passed since the 2nd release
but we hope that the new features and overall
improved stability are appreciated.
This is a snapshot of our current version with
the timeout increased to 2 hours.

Major new functionalities are

o support for AmigaOS3.5/3.9 update rom
modules.
No need anymore for dangerous resets.

o support for external rom modules so that
everybody can write his own rom module
replacements and put them into the load
dir.

o WarpOS emulation, finally you are able to
play HereticII with Warp3D while running
MorphOS.

o new native modules

o exec(fully independent)
o expansion.library
o romboot
o input.device
o keyboard.device
o battclock.resource
o battmem.resource
o cardres.resource
o cia.resource
o potgo.resource

o Improved CyberGraphX PPC with native
Superlayers.

o Improved BlizzardPPC support

o native jfif.datatype for completeness

o better devpackage

o more efficient ppc/68k switch which
results into better compiled code and
lower latencies.

New native 3rd party software

o Bochs(PC Emulator)

o New MUIPPC Snapshot

o New MagicMenuPPC

o xpk

o cnet.device

MorphOSTeam

New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 51 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ian Shurmer on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 50 (Thomas Frieden):
Here we go again -- yet more of the arguments
between programmers that always seem to
end in some disaster for Amiga.
Is it just me, or do these fantastically talented
(no argument there) developers seem to be acting
like children?! Maybe they could just praise each
others' products (which are both pretty amazing
techincal achievements) and get on 4 once.
Just a thought.
Ian
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 52 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ian Shurmer on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 50 (Thomas Frieden):
Im probably contradicting my last post -- but I just couldn't resist
this. I'm not saying that Ralph is blameless; but if you do look at the two comments pointed out previously, Mr Hermans has replied to the same comment twice - both in the anoymous and non-anonymous postings. Why then, if Mr. Hermans did simply forget to leave his name and email would he reply to comment 14 again in his second posting?
I don't suppose I've explained this very well, but I sincerely hope that
Ben did forget to leave his name and then remembered something to add to
his comment later...
Whatever really happened, I dont care, but we certainly don't need mud slinging, the market is small enough already.
Regards,
Ian
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 53 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ian Shurmer on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 52 (Ian Shurmer):
Sorry people, but I just read my last posting and it suddenly occured
that it might look like I'm taking sides:
QUOTE:- "I'm not saying that Ralph is blamless"
Just let me clarify this, I'm not saying that Ralph or Ben have done anything wrong (after all nothing has been proved), I just didn't want to appear that I was taking sides.
I don't want to step on anybody's toes
Finally I will stop posting now!
Ian
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 54 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ralph Schmidt on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 50 (Thomas Frieden):
Really Thomas ?
Have you read it actually...:-)
That was a low blow(not that i can`t take it:-) but I`m
sure if you had read it you wouldn`t have suggested that
it was a mistake that Mr. Hermans hadn`t used his real
name while posting it.
It shows that the "but I`m so neutral" image isn`t worth
a penny...
P.S. I`m a bit surprised why you try to defend this..you know
his agenda and you should also know my information
sources. What`s there to argue about.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 55 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 32 (Darrin):
That's Grolsch!!! G-R-O-L-S-C-H!!! :) it's made in Groenlo and Enschede...Isn' hat far from the german border....
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 56 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 41 (Mike):
Duh...WarpOs is an interface...not an Operating system...
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 57 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 54 (Ralph Schmidt):
And what the F**K do you care about being neutral...WE WON"T SUPPORT THE MEDIATOR BECAUSE IT SUCKS HARDER THEN THE AVERAGE WHORE IN AMSTERDAM....
Bankswitching a problem uh?? What about this little contextswitch issue on the PPC board leading to a mayor performance loss?
Ofcourse there are situations where bankswitching might be a problem while both 68K and PPC try to access the 8MB windows...
There's alway a sollution to his problem....avoid the situation....
If the 68k pci.library is handling the 8MB window and P96 (68K too) is writing to that space then there's no collision even if a PPC is running.....
If you want to run a Warp3D WOS game then simply assign 8MB for 2D stuff and 8MB for 3D stuff.....That's 2 static windows...
Warp3D uses the internals of P96 so there's a way to forbit Warp3D to write to GFX memory while P96 is accessing it....
It's not that hard...just a little more work.....
Same is true for >=32MB GFX cards....to bad they will not (yet) be supported by Warp3D. But the again..create 4 windows...1 for 2d 68k and 3 for PPC 3D.....
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 58 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 16-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 57 (Amifan):
> And what the F**K do you care about being neutral...WE WON"T SUPPORT THE
> MEDIATOR BECAUSE IT SUCKS HARDER THEN THE AVERAGE WHORE IN AMSTERDAM....
But they are damn good....
Mediator will neverrrr eveerrrr suck like that
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 59 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mark Olsen on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 57 (Amifan):
That's the problem. There is only one memory window.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 60 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mike on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 43 (victor #):
WarpOs was NEVER official supported by AmigaInc, it was tolerated as well as powerup.
Is it a wonder that the company which created the Os3.5/3.9 puts their own PPC system
on the AmigaOS CD?
Why they ever have created WarpUp? Why don`t they cooperated with P5 to increase
the powerup.lib ?
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 61 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Darrin on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 55 (Amifan):
Next time I'll say Becks - I can spell that :)
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 62 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Sinan Gurkan on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
I hope Amiga Inc chooses one of the interested parties for OS 4.0 PPC
This war must end soon...
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 63 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 62 (Sinan Gurkan):
Would be nice, but sadly for us, AInc have absolutely NO interest in ever seeing a PPC AmigaOS released,
I'm afraid.
It's just one of those facts of life, but then what can we expect from a company which has zero interest in teh Amiga, just wants to use the name to promote their tweaks to Elate? :(
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 64 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mike on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Anonymous):
Thats pure speculations and panic creation nothing else.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 65 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 40 (Ralph Schmidt):
Ralph, I wouldn't suggest becoming a private investigator just yet.
This nonsense about the IP number is really hilarious.
First of all, I don't have a habit of posting anonymously.
Secondly, you must think I am an idiot to not realise my IP number would show up, especially considering how easy it is to spoof an IP number.
Thirdly, I work/post from various locations including the law-library of one of the largest universities in Belgium which has 28000 students, several hunderd staff-members and many more former students. All of these people have access to the IP number you are complaining about.
Some of these people are Amiga users, some of which I even know personally. It's a shame that whoever posted that, didn't mention his name but I can assure you it's not me.
I would appreciate it if you would refrain from making such spurious accusations.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 66 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
Even apart from the fact that I wasn't the one posting the comment about the hobby-status of MorphOS, I would like to make the following observations:
1) the fact that it is a hobby-project doesn't entail that it is a bad product. Unfortunately on the Amiga very few professional coders are still active. A lot of good software is produced by hobbyist.
2) I define a hobby-project as a project which is not developed by people who earn their living producing the software in question. To the best of my knowledge, there is no MorphOS Inc, Gmbh, Ltd, GBR, OHG etc. You are not selling anything and you don't have to live from the sales of MorphOS. Hence, by this definition, MorphOS was (is?) a hobby-project.
Now re-read remark 1 before you get pissed off.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 67 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 64 (Mike):
Oh really?
Then can you explain why AInc have consistently refused to allow H&P to finish the PPC port they started under GatesWay?
Can you explain why Fleecy has publically threatened legal action against MorphOS to stop it from ever coming out?
Sorry, but the FACT of the matter is that AInc have NO interest in EVER seeing a PPC AmigaOS released - why? Obvious - every copy sold is one copy less of their Elate, sorry "AmigaDE" sold.
Face facts - AInc do not give one jot about the Amiga, only about their Elate-based stuff.
FACT.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 68 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 65 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Ahh..so it was somebody else.
Fascinating that you allow somebody else post on private mailinglists
in the name of you with the same arguments the article contained above
there.
Also quite entertaining how you try to define what a hobby project is
to justify what you said you hadn`t said.
I`m actually also waiting for an explaination for what you haven`t
said "obviously" about us(BPlan) being hobby *developers*...people
which sold up to 100k HW/SW components into the amiga market in the
last 8 years.
As a little game for others...use his hobby project definitions
and try to match these with companies in the amiga market and
elsewhere.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 69 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ralph Schmidt on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 68 (Anonymous):
Sorry..forgot the name:-)
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 70 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mr.Return on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 67 (Anonymous):
Fleecy has already stated that Elate would run on top of a PPC native AmigaOS.
The only "fact" is that Amiga will not spend hundreds of thousand dollars for an operating system if there si no reliable userbase. Fleecy stated this, too, but obviously there are still some fanatics who are not able to leave their old shoes at home.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 71 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by ehaines on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 67 (Anonymous):
> Sorry, but the FACT of the matter is that AInc have NO interest in
> EVER seeing a PPC AmigaOS released - why? Obvious - every copy sold
> is one copy less of their Elate, sorry "AmigaDE" sold.
Um, your argument might work except it totally falls on its face
here...I, and many other people, would buy both PPC AmigaOS AND
AmigaDE (if it's any good), since they are two different things.
So much for conspiracy theories....
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 72 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mark Olsen on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 70 (Mr.Return):
Hmm, this means that you've been using MSDOS on an i386 ever since it "passed" the Amiga? Just a thought...
Another thought, have you any idea what Am*gaDE is? Ever used it? You know you're gonna like it?
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 73 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mark Olsen on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 72 (Mark Olsen):
Just thought of this too, even if the Am*gaDE is the best thing since sliced bread, shouldn't people be allowed to use what they like?
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 74 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 69 (Ralph Schmidt):
AARRGHH..you YOU!!! YOU are talking about "us" when talking about bPlan???
Damn...now we can see some PPC libraries in ROM again :(((
Well, m8 you live in the past.....bPlan has delivered NOTHING yet...no single piece of HW/SW....
Phase5 did where you were a simple coder and not the boss....
Oh..and know we know who's behind bPlan too...WHERE's THE MONEY OF ALL THOSE BLIZZARDG4 PRE-PAYERS!!??
Probably you're financing your bPlan mainboard with it.......
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 75 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
And btw.....is this where Hyperion should be afraid of? Making the bPlan incompatible with WarpOS?
It runs AmigaDE and what the heck....you tried it with the normal PPC accelerators too....
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 76 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 68 (Anonymous):
You lost me there Ralph.
I allowed somebody to post on private lists? How can I stop somebody from posting on ANN?
And what's this stuff about "in my name"? To the best of my knowledge, you were complaining about an anonymous post here.
And it's not because somebody posts something anonymously here, that I have to disagree with it. I just wanted to point out that whoever posted that stuff about MorphOS being a hobby-project (and I have a good idea who that was) has a point, especially at the time of posting when there was no bPlan yet. Again, this doesn't imply an value judgement on MorphOS, it's like saying project x or y is "open source" or "free-ware".
You mean to tell me that you were being paid by Phase 5 even after they went bankrupt? It's possible that you are currently on the bPlan pay-roll but certainly at the time this comment was posted (not by me, as you will recall), you weren't because there was no bPlan.
Are you now saying that MorphOS is developed and owned by bPlan?
That would be an interesting development which I failed to read on your website.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 77 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 76 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Oh yeah Ralph, small tip from the lawyer: maybe you should think twice about making a direct link between "us": bPlan and Phase 5.
There's still than 500.000 DM worth of Cyberstorm NG pre-orders that Phase 5 were supposedly putting into an escrow account but strangely enough was never recovered during the bankruptcy proceedings.
Unless ofcourse you want all former Phase 5 creditors and idiots who pre-paid for the Cyberstorm NG to come knocking at the door of bPlan.
Just some friendly advice, I would really like to use a bPlan mobo one day and I would certainly not welcome another bankruptcy because of your ill-considered posts.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 78 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mr.Return on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 72 (Mark Olsen):
I donĀ“t understand your point ... waht has my comment to do with MS-Dos ? BTW: Surely I do not know the AmigaDE, only the parts that are available to the (NDA-) public.
Therefore I cannot say if I will like it nor if anybody else will. But I am pissed off by all those statements that are simply false either because of misunderstandings or because of evil will.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 79 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ralph Schmidt on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 77 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Ahh...great...Mr. Hermans. You wanna get really dirty now to
move the public attention away from your fault pax ?
us == people which worked at Phase5 development.
Bplan is not Phase5. You knew that since early summer 2000,
others documented the link to people which once worked for
Phase5 months ago and now you play as if you didn`t know that.
So the Phase5 bancruptcy issues are not relevant to BPlan.
Really fascinating numbers you represent here.
First they aren`t BPlan`s concern...secondly they are
completely bogus by a factor >6x as far as i know.
You walk on very thin ice here when you better care
about your own business issues.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 80 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Darrin on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 79 (Ralph Schmidt):
Boy, that last remark about outstanding debts sure hit a sore point!!! Calm down Ralph and remeber that YOU started the mud slinging match in this thread. Can't take what you dish out?
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 81 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mike on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 79 (Ralph Schmidt):
/******************************************
Ahh...great...Mr. Hermans. You wanna get really dirty now to
move the public attention away from your fault pax ?
*******************************************/
LOL Again! You start attacking the guy, then get pissed when he hits you back! Funny :)
And anyway, weren't you upset that he was making 'anonymous' attacks and being deceptive? I thought you'd be happy he added his name to that post.
/**************************************************
us == people which worked at Phase5 development.
Bplan is not Phase5.
**************************************************/
Ah, I see the difference now. :) You're the same people who made off with the CybervisionNG pre-order money, but under a new corporate entity to help stave off legal action. How nice :)
/*********************************************************
You knew that since early summer 2000,
others documented the link to people which once worked for
Phase5 months ago and now you play as if you didn`t know that.
So the Phase5 bancruptcy issues are not relevant to BPlan.
***********************************************************/
LOL- The fact that Ben Hermans (or any other person) KNEW that the same people from P5 are the same people running BPlan does not make the Phase5 bancruptcy issues not relevant to BPlan. The only thing that would do that is if BPlan and P5 had nothing to do with each other.
However, that clearly isn't the case since YOU said that the same people are involved. Ergo, there is the APPEARANCE that the P5 people declared bankruptcy, took a bunch of peoples' money, and then set up shop as a new entity to avoid prosecution.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 82 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Michael Garlich on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 81 (Mike):
Thats absolutely untrue, Bplan were founded from ex-P5 EMPLOYEE and
not from it`s management which is responsible for the bankrupty and all
financial issues. Or would you like to be responsible for that what your
boss does?
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 83 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mike on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 82 (Michael Garlich):
I don't know if what you're saying is true or not. Do you care to provide some proof? Simply saying "no, that's not the case" when appearences point to the opposite isn't very strong evidence to me.
With regards to employees being held responsible for corporate debts, if an employee is a corporate officer (at least in the US) then they certainly can be responsible, whether they like it or not. There might be other instances too when malfeasence is involved.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 84 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Keith Blakemore-Noble on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 77 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Ben Hermans,
Interesting to read your words "idiots who pre-paid for the Cyberstorm NG".
Perhaps you ought to choose your wording a bit more carefully in future - I
for one do not take kindly to being called an "idiot" by you or anyone else
(whether at Hyperion or elsewhere) for doing my "bit" to try to help the
Amiga along by pre-ordering in the past.
Now, I've been sitting quietly watching this thread, watching you and Ralph
sling mud at each other, which is entertaining in a sad sort of way.
HOWEVER, when you feel that you have to resort to insulting ordinary Amiga
users, then I'm afraid you are showing desperation and losing your
argument.
Tell me, is this official Hyperion policy to describe all those who make
pre-orders "idiots", or just those who pre-ordered from a company which
subsequently went into receivership?
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 85 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Martin Heine on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 71 (ehaines):
> Um, your argument might work except it totally falls on its face
> here...I, and many other people, would buy both PPC AmigaOS AND
> AmigaDE (if it's any good), since they are two different things.
It's not about users, it's about developers...
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 86 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ralph Schmidt on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 80 (Darrin):
Darrin...the CyberStormG3 prepayments aren't my issue
because I was in no way involved, so they can't hit a
sore point.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 87 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 81 (Mike):
Get real...when CBM went down it doesn't mean people which
*worked* for CBM and now work in new companies are responsible
for that. My god...
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 88 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mark Olsen on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 78 (Mr.Return):
Quote:
"but obviously there are still some fanatics who are not able to leave their old shoes at home."
You said that about someone who wanted further development of the "classic" Amiga, and as I interpret it, you say that he should "dump his crap and go the way you see fit".
So, did you dump your "crap Amiga" and went Intel/MSDOS because that was what some persons ment was best at that time?
Don't you think that "some fanatics" should be allowed to use their OS of choice?
I think you should think twice next time you want to call someone a fanatic.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 89 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 84 (Keith Blakemore-Noble):
Well, you were an idiot, because where's your money? They promised to hold that money o a seperate bank account...well if so? Then why didn't you get your money back?
Maybe they put the money on the bank account of the founder of bPlan? You need a fairly ammount of money to develop someting like a mainboard...and say 100000DM is a nice start...
I never prepay because I simply don't thrust the heath of such compagnies needig the prepays...take a look at Microcode sollutions...we will complete iFusion in 60 days from now....uhm....
60 months?
I don't trust compagnies saying " we'll do a PPC version if our program X is sold enough" So what's the definition of "enough" in this case? 'till they get enough money to cover the developement costs, make profit and cover th costs of the PPC developement?
Did I brougt OS3.9 because of the magic number of 50000?? :)) nope sorry....this is just not realistic...I just wanted the latest OS....
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 90 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Mike on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 87 (Anonymous):
"Anonymous", who happens to have the same IP as "Ralph Schmidt", wrote :
/***************************
Get real...when CBM went down it doesn't mean people which
*worked* for CBM and now work in new companies are responsible
for that. My god...
*************************/
CBM was a large multinational company that at one point was employing thousands of people and publicly held. Phase5, on the other hand, was clearly a rather small company, and most importantly, closely held.... just the same as BPlan.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 91 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Syzygy9000 on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 70 (Mr.Return):
Yet, another opportunity to discuss the good that might come of MorphOS gets turned into a slanging match.
I will try to avoid the use of sarcasm here, it seems some people either cannot interpret it on ANN, or choose not too interpret it.
Right, my comment...
"Fleecy has stated already that Elate would run on top of a PPC native AmigaOS..."
Q: Why then do Amiga not let Haage&Partner continue development of their PPC AmigaOS?
It's not going to cost Amiga any money to finance the development - we have all been led to believe that their PPC AmigaOS is fairly complete. - and they stand to reap the rewards of all the sales.
A: Amiga do not want people to use Classic Amiga hardware to run the DE.
Amiga do want the several hundred (maybe thousand?) sales that will come from current Classic Amiga users.
If a PPC native AmigaOS was released, I would buy it tomorrow.
I can't say I would that I would buy the DE tomorrow, cos I personally don't believe that it'll ever take off like they want it too.
Also I don't use my Amiga(s) because I think its the best computer in the world, I use it because I like it a lot more than some windows box, it's not the hardware thats make an Amiga what it is, its not the philosophy, it is the OS.
I'm not alone, I run a fairly large amiga user group, I hang out on IRC with "real" Amiga users, not the kind you find on AmigaNet, I've heard other people voice exactly what I'm writing here.
BTW, you won't recognise me, this isn't my usual handle...
Maybe Amiga knows that a large proportion of the Classic Amiga users feel like I do. They don't want no super flashy OS, they want their AmigaOS and their Amiga to have fun with. And some of them want their Windows machines for all the things the Amiga doesn't do very well.
Maybe that's why they publically threatened the MorphOS developers with legal action to stop them releasing their Amiga compatible OS.
Maybe they are actually very worried that a PPC AmigaOS would take away a large amount of their initial sales, at least their initial 'home user' sales.
I'm not saying I'm right, I don't know all the facts, but I do know it all seems to make a fit together.
In reply to Comment 71:
"I, and many other people, would buy both PPC AmigaOS AND AmigaDE (if it's any good), since they are two different things."
Really? I know I wouldn't. I'd by PPC AmigaOS for my Amiga because it's a great hobby, like my C=64's and my NES are a great hobby.
I wouldn't buy the DE, I've got Windows to do all the stuff my Amiga doesn't.
In reply to Comment 74:
"[General ranting]"
When news of bPlan was first made. The line was something like "bPlan is a company formed by ex-employees of phase5".
I don't know how true that is, but I have no reason to doubt it.
phase5 is not bPlan, wether the same people work there or not.
In reply to Comments about the phase5 PCI busboard:
It was a development board, which used "the same chips you see on a BVision/CVision."
Are Commodore also to be tarred with the same brush for not releasing the AAA chipset?
"While the BVision might "fit" in the A1200 case, it certainly won't WORK in a stock A1200 (at least not for very long), due to the VERY OBVIOUS power and heating concerns."
Hmmm, well if you own a "Goliath" style PSU, plug extra power into the floppy power port, then it will work.
As for heat problems, what "problem"? So it gets bloody hot, so does my 040.
As a side not, my Apollo 040 card did not work in my 'stock' A1200, hence the Goliath power supply.
I would like to see an AmigaOS compatible OS using my PPC, wether its AmigaOS4, or MorphOS I don't give a stuff.
I would be better if the people making a future for the Classic Amiga would work together, or not at all.
If that means MorphOS being disbanded so the bPlan teams can work with H&P on AmigaOS4, so be it.
Or AmigaOS4 being thrown away and MorphOS being developed, thats fine too.
If it means Amiga Inc saying "hey, we don't want a PPC native Amiga OS", well then at least we'd know.
Whatever way forward is chosen, if it's not a unified one then there are two groups of people who suffer.
Developers suffer from lack of sales, and users suffer from lack of development, driven by diversification.
If the developers hate each other, just come out and say it. All this cloak and dagger shit does nobody any favours.
People will assume the worst unless you tell them otherwise.
Personally, I think its too late for that.
MorphOS will continue until Amiga Inc take legal action, which I am betting Amiga Inc would lose... after all MorphOS is only "Amiga Compatible".
Amiga will be telling Amiga users a PPC Native OS is due when they get just those few more 3.9 sales, for maybe a year or two.
Hyperion et al will continue making games that only run on WarpOS, which is fine by me, I don't play much games on my Amiga.
And everyone will continue to flame each other on a cool news site called ANN.
Peace,
Syzygy9000.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 92 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ralph Schmidt on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 90 (Mike):
But the people which own BPlan haven't hold Phase5.
So these aligations are pointless.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 93 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Darrin on 17-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 86 (Ralph Schmidt):
Ralph... I'm glad to hear that, but what I meant was "chill out". I think it's time everyone in this game burried the hatchet - and I don't mean in someone's back. :)
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 94 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by ehaines on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 91 (Syzygy9000):
>"I, and many other people, would buy both PPC AmigaOS AND AmigaDE (if
>it's any good), since they are two different things."
>
>Really? I know I wouldn't.
Yes, really.
>I'd by PPC AmigaOS for my Amiga because
>it's a great hobby, like my C=64's and my NES are a great hobby. I
>wouldn't buy the DE, I've got Windows to do all the stuff my Amiga
>doesn't.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but there are actually a significant number
of people who dislike Windows.
As for the "idiots who pre-paid" business, maybe that's a bit harsh,
but surely you would have to agree that giving money to somebody in
the hopes that you'll eventually get something in return is, shall we
say, "overly optimistic" at best. Maybe even "not too bright," unless
you have money to spare and don't care about taking the chance of
losing it. Because it IS a risk, and an especially big one in a
market like the Amiga market, and a REALLY REALLY big one with a
company like Phase 5 that had a bad customer relations history.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 95 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 91 (Syzygy9000):
>When news of bPlan was first made. The line was something like "bPlan is a >company formed by ex-employees of phase5".
>I don't know how true that is
Well, it's nice that you want to reply to some posts, but I think that Ralph said clearly " us, bPlan" hm......
But at the beginning of your post you say:
>I will try to avoid the use of sarcasm here, it seems some people either >cannot interpret it on ANN, or choose not too interpret it.
Interpret what??
If you can't find proof in the words of a former Phase employee then what's your point?
>BTW, you won't recognise me, this isn't my usual handle...
In other words, you're posting anonymously........why?
Because the people you mean by these words : "Maybe Amiga knows that a large proportion of the Classic Amiga users feel like I do." are limited to your little brother sitting next door?
>I hang out on IRC with "real" Amiga users
So what's your definition of a real amiga user? A real amiga user wants to see the market split up because the developer of a great game X decides to write a MorpOS version while developer of the great game Y decides to write the game for WarpOS? Is this the definition of the "real" amiga user???
Well, you're right then i'm not a "real" amiga user. I just want compatibility but that's apperantly what's not allowed by people like you..... and why should this care you? Because in your definition of the real amiga user you use the amiga solely as a hobby and use your wintel box for serious stuff.....
>I can't say I would that I would buy the DE tomorrow, cos I personally don't >believe that it'll ever take off like they want it too.
We agree on one point
>In reply to Comments about the phase5 PCI busboard:
>It was a development board, which used "the same chips you see on a >BVision/CVision."
Wow well maybe it's nice to know that the G-REX uses almost (if not completely) the same bridge as the BVision afterall, just compare the IC on G-rex with the ones on your BVision....
The point is that Phase5 had this technology all the time, but chooced to make a custom GFX sollution based on an underpowered 3D chip which is way to xpensive for what it's capable of, but "we" had to accept that because we had no other choice....And what's the exuse afterwards for this anti-vision of Phase5? "We weren't into towering bussiness, all our products must be able to run in a standard amiga1200" Well what about that recycled 040 blizzard rt or something? You needed a tower for that? And how hard can it be to buy the most popular amiga tower, get the sizes for the PCB?
Then Elbox announced a PCI busboard and suddenly there's a thread for the expensive BVision...so they announced immediatly a busboard (ok it's DCE this time). So am I wrong or was Phase5 just making a lot of money from the poor amiga followers.
Some ex P5 employee wanted to stop the sales of the mediator by posting some technical "limitations" which turned out to be no practical "limitations" afterall....
Well, it's all about money again and how to abtain it in no matter what way?
Maybe this ex P5 employee get payed to the amount of G-REX sold?
In reply to Comment 74:
"[General ranting]"
Please be more specific? What ranting? Did I ly or something? Maybe read some post.
Did bPlan deliver some products? Did I miss something?
And what about the pree-order money? Ex-Phase5 employee's surely know what was going on in their compagny....come on....it wasn't a multinational?
So where is the money? And do you think it's easy to the needed money for this kind of risky developement from a bank?
Maybe it's ranting the way I give the post a little emotional touch :), but it at least holds some truth....
But how much value do my words have for you? I'm no "real" amiga user by your definition. I'm just using my amiga for about everything I can...and not as a pure hobby only....
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 96 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 79 (Ralph Schmidt):
I'm just telling you to be careful about establishing a link, Ralph.
I didn't say there was a legal link between bPlan and Phase 5 but given the dubious circumstances surrounding the pre-orders which were supposedly deposited into an escrow account but never recovered, you must be extremely careful.
That was just some friendly advice because I know some people who put money and effort in bPlan and I for one would not want to see it go to waste.
As usual, you find it difficult to accept good advice from others.
If the numbers are wrong, I apologise, these were the numbers given to be by certain trustworthy people currently associated with bPlan or with Phase 5 in the past.
This doesn't detract from the principle in any way: you don't want former creditors from Phase 5 to knock at bPlan's door.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 97 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 84 (Keith Blakemore-Noble):
I sincerely apologise for calling people who pre-paid for the Cyberstorm NG "idiots".
The word I was looking for was "naive".
No disrespect intended. I pre-ordered and pre-paid several copies of iFusion :)
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 98 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Steffan Katz on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
Why doesn't another well-known Amiga-news site report about this new MorphOS release? They may say because it's "not Amiga" but, neither is AmigaDE, except by name. There are other reports that appear on ANN about the so-called 'classic' but don't appear on there too. Also, I may be mistaken but I believe I have had certain 'negative' posts about the AmigaDE removed... (and the posts were perfectly decent - no swearing or anything)
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 99 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Syzygy9000 on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 95 (Amifan):
>>I will try to avoid the use of sarcasm here, it seems some people either >cannot interpret it on ANN, or choose not too interpret it.
>Interpret what??
Sarcasm.
>>BTW, you won't recognise me, this isn't my usual handle...
>In other words, you're posting anonymously........why?
Because i choose too, because it suits me. Revealing my real identity might cause me a lot of hassle i can do without.
>Because the people you mean by these words : "Maybe Amiga knows that a large proportion of the Classic Amiga users feel like I do." are limited to your little brother sitting next door?
I wouldn't say my brother and I were a usergroup. More so when he's actually a musician and doesn't give a stuff about (quote) "stupid old amiga's".
>>I hang out on IRC with "real" Amiga users
>So what's your definition of a real amiga user?
I get the impression Fleecy thinks all Amiga users IRC on Amiganet, well, IMO only the arse kissers are there. :)
>am I wrong or was Phase5 just making a lot of money from the poor amiga followers.
I don't know the definitive answer, but probably yes they were. I wasn't saying they were right or wrong to not release their PCI busboard.
What I was saying is that it was a developer board, so why should they release it?
>But how much value do my words have for you? I'm no "real" amiga user by your definition. I'm just using my amiga for about everything I can...and not as a pure hobby only....
i didn't mean to give this impression. I to use my Amiga for all I can. I personally hate windows with a vengeance. But sometimes, if I want to do something, I don't have any choice but use windows.
New MorphOS 0.4 Release : Comment 100 of 109ANN.lu
Posted by Syzygy9000 on 18-Feb-2001 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 98 (Steffan Katz):
I guess the other news site doesn't report on MorphOS cos it might upset their relationship with Amiga.
Anonymous, there are 109 items in your selection (but only 59 shown due to limitation) [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 109]
Back to Top