18-Oct-2021 04:49 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 12 items in your selection
[News] DCE PPC-MicroserverANN.lu
Posted on 04-Apr-2001 14:30 GMT by Christian Kemp12 comments
View flat
View list
Martin Heine wrote: "German manufacturer DCE announces a G3/G4-based PowerPC-Microserver on a PCI-card for Q3/2001." "Possible usage of the Microserver as (among others):
  • Amiga-PPC-solution in DCE-PCI-expansions
  • complete system in combination with a passive backplane
  • PPC-Cluster in combination with BPlans Pegasos-mainboard
Technical data:
  • G3/G4 CPU 450-733 MHz 1-4 MB Cache
  • up to 1 GB 133 MHz SDRAM
  • 100 Mbit Ethernet
  • optional Firewire
  • PCI 2.1 Master/Agent
The DCE Microserver G3/G4, the G-Rex 1200/4000 and the existing P5-PPC-boards will be supported by MorphOS. In later releases there will be a JIT (just in time)-emulation.

Furthermore MorphOS gives the possibility to use really PPC-native software as, for example:

  • CyberGfx
  • SFS
  • Datatypes
  • MUI
  • AmiTCP V5
  • Voyager
  • YAM
  • CED
  • Bochs (PC-Emulator)
  • Office-package Papyrus from Rom-Logicware, that's being ported by Titan.
  • and many other programmes currently being ported."
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 1 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 03-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
Suprise suprise, MorphOS is supported....
*sigh* a G4 expansion plugged into a busboard plugged into a G2/68k exspansion plugged into a 9 years old mainboard, which is very likely to die in a couple of years....(they don't last forever) Som people manufacturers have enough moeny to waste it....what about a mainboard DCE?
BTW, look at the impressive MorphOS supported software list :)
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 2 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by StAn on 04-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
Sorry but...
What about including line feeds next time ?
And not mixing everything.. Is this an advert for MorphOS or a news about a new hardware ? There's not even a link or the source of the information.
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 3 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by David Scheibler on 04-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
You can plug it into a Grex, connect it with Pegasos, run it as a standalone
AmigaClone with a backplane board or even plug it into a x86 PC...
As of software:
Where is MUI PPC for AmigaOS4?
Where is a PPC WebBrowser for AmigaOS4?
Where is a PPC Email program for AmigaOS4?
Where is a PPC texteditor for AmigaOS4?
Where is a native filesystem for AmigaOS4?
Where is a JIT 68k emulator which offers 060-50Mhz++ speed even on
current PPC boards?
Where is an office package for AmigaOS4?
Where is AmigaOS4?
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 4 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Steffen Haeuser on 04-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (StAn):
BTW:
There is also a JIT 68k Emulation for WarpOS in Development. :)
Currently neither MOS nor WOS have a completely finished JIT.
Steffen
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 5 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 05-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (David Scheibler):
As of software:
>Where is MUI PPC for AmigaOS4?
Who cares if you can emulate a 060 at more then twice the speed of the fastest overclocked 060.
>Where is a PPC WebBrowser for AmigaOS4?
You call Voyager a webbrowser?? It's been april 1st already.....
>Where is a PPC Email program for AmigaOS4? You are reffering to YAM ?
>Where is a PPC texteditor for AmigaOS4?
hehe that's what i've been waiting for, but hey....AmigaWriter does it's job very well.
>Where is a native filesystem for AmigaOS4?
Wasn't there supposed to be a FFS compatible PPC native filesystem with OS4?
>Where is a JIT 68k emulator which offers 060-50Mhz++ speed even on
current PPC boards?
You mean like a 68k JIT emulation on a Z80 which overs 68000 7Mhz ++ speeds?? :) Wake up.....BlizzardPPC is history, time to move on...but hey I know you're not used to new developement...I guess it will take time for some people to realise this.
>Where is an office package for AmigaOS4?
Where's the one for MOS, you mean Papyrus which is still in developement. Will Titan port it to OS4 aswel? Guess so if they want to sell at least to more then the number of MOS developers
>Where is AmigaOS4?
Where's MOS apart from some time limited beta?
>Now some questions for you
1) Where are the MOS games?
2) Where are the MOS raytracers?
3) where is the MOS 3D api? Or even a GL API? Do they have the knowledge at all?
4) Where are the MOS (cgfx) AGP gfx card drivers ? Voodoo3/4/5 isn't avaiable in most shop anymore...
5) Any support from PC gfxchipset manufactures at all?
6) What about finacial backing?
7) Any mayor developers for MorphOS?
8) What's the future? A OS without software capable of browsing the internet with....*laugh* Voyager? Get Emails with YAM...run old programs with native PPC MUI support is nice, but you can't depend on this for the future...
9)Does MOS has a future outside your dreamworld?
Think about this last point, following a new OS blindely is nice, but realise that it needs support....Or are that kind of guy which stick with MOS, because they think that there's no point of return after all these useless comments about a native Voyager *LOL!*, but run AOS4.0 programs afterall on some kind of emulation layer?
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 6 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Emmanuel Lesueur on 05-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Amifan):
> Wasn't there supposed to be a FFS compatible PPC native filesystem with OS4?
FFS is slow because of its structure. There's not much a fast processor can do
about that.
> 1) Where are the MOS games?
http://www.morphos.de/meanmachine/files/Morphtris12.lha
I'm really disappointed that you missed it. Oh, and there won't be a version
for AmigaOS4 because we only have a license for MorphOS.
> 4) Where are the MOS (cgfx) AGP gfx card drivers ?
Ah right. I start writing one right away. Ok, I've got the AGP card. Where do
I plug it in ?
> 6) What about finacial backing?
Good question. What about AI's financial backing ?
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 7 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Thomas Würgler on 05-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (Emmanuel Lesueur):
>http://www.morphos.de/meanmachine/files/Morphtris12.lha
I'm really disappointed that you missed it. Oh, and there won't be a version
for AmigaOS4 because we only have a license for MorphOS.
Oh, how sad. Now I won't go for AmigaOS 4 for sure... or maybe I will ;).
>Good question. What about AI's financial backing ?
AI are making money... did you notice a little something about Sharp and PSION? Heard about licensing? I don't see any revenue streams from MorphOS at the moment.
>Ah right. I start writing one right away. Ok, I've got the AGP card. Where do
I plug it in ?
In the AmigaOne board..
Personally I don't have anything against MorphOS. A lot of people have done some excellent work on it, but I don't see any reason for it now that I can have the real deal on new and faster PPC cards.. especially since it will also run AmigaDE content - some of it's already very good. I do hope that those few developers that are jumping ship now will come to reason and realise that we do NOT need yet another war between two companies. Back in the days of the Kernel Wars there was no company to say "we're doing it THIS way" .. there is now.. and suddenly people are doing the opposite. What's the matter with these people?
That's my personal opinion by the way...
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 8 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 05-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
Could a PowerPC microserver on a PCI card offer other PCI-equipped machines to run a PowerPC system internally? I'm thinking a PowerPC version of the old SiamesePCI concept.
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 9 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Amifan on 05-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (Emmanuel Lesueur):
My friend emanuel,
Apparently some people are so stuck in the past that they need some additional information, so here we go.
Ofcourse you consider the current BlizzardPPC as modern hardware, that why your answers are based that. But unfortunately I wans't. I'm talking about the bPLAN thing. And as Ralph Schmidt describes it as "our" (red: MorphOS) hardware, you should have known what AGP slot I was talking about. (your stil with me or do you *need* an even more detailed description?).
If you don't get this then please read the previous over and over until your capable to get it.
OK now we both know what we are talking about is it time to continue.
As mentioned, the bPLAN specs show that there's a AGP slot available. You cannot plug a pci card in that. Now let's contunue with the fact that 3dfx is dead. You can't hardly buy the Voodoo range anymore. People with current voodoo's are 'lucky' but hey....those are all PCI. Ok ok doesn't matter that much, you can plu it in a PCI slot.
-should I pause for you to take a deep breath and let your brain catch up?
Well now we came this far, you'll surely agree with me that we need an alternative to the voodoo range in oder provide every bplan costumer with a gfx card. Hmm...let's search the internet....www.altavista.com..let's search for it!! uh....what about +nVIDIA +doc or +nGeforce +datasheet. Any succes yet?
erm... try +matrox instead of GeForce or nVIDIA...no succes either?? well how do you explain that AmigaInc announced matrox support?
-you got 5 minutes to come with a explaination...
No?
-Answer: They have a partnership with them
I want too!! I want too!! you say...
- Go on write them, write nVIDIA, because I hope that's now clear to you that you *need* support for new chipsets.....
But in the meantime...why don't you play a little morphtris, i'm sorry I can't play with you, but it isn't my kind of game...But i'm sure that it's THE reason to install morphOS.
But I read somewhere that you're an official MOS beta tester?....ah why did I bother to answer your comment.....
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 10 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by Emmanuel Lesueur on 05-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Amifan):
"A" == "Amifan" writes:
A> My friend emanuel,
Yes, dear. With two 'm's, please.
A> I'm talking about the bPLAN thing. And as Ralph Schmidt describes
A> it as "our" (red: MorphOS) hardware,
No, dear. When he says "our" speaking of Pegasos, that means bPlan.
Ralph is part of bPlan, in case you missed that. MorphOS is a
different thing.
A> you should have known what AGP slot I was talking about.
<snip the great explanation of why we need the AI-Matrox "partnership">
I suggest you go to bPlan's page, look at the Pegasos specs, read the
sentence below the AGP slot, and think about its implications.
A> But in the meantime...why don't you play a little morphtris, i'm
A> sorry I can't play with you, but it isn't my kind of game...
That's too bad.
A> But i'm sure that it's THE reason to install morphOS.
Yes! I was afraid you wouldn't be impressed. I'm happy now.
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 11 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by IamFan on 06-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Amifan):
Oh dear. Looks like "Amifan" is letting his irrational hatred of anything not issuing from a certain company who continually changes their direction cloud his vision.
Hint, "Amifan", MorphOS runs most (if not all?) existing and forthcoming Amiga PPC games.
i.e. MorphOS now runs WarpOS and Warp3D games too.
So, you were saying?
DCE PPC-Microserver : Comment 12 of 12ANN.lu
Posted by KSK on 07-Apr-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (David Scheibler):
Where is the "G3/G4-based PowerPC-Microserver" ?
What is the most inexpensive way to start running my current apps on a PPC machine?
Anonymous, there are 12 items in your selection
Back to Top