21-Aug-2018 14:00 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 41 items in your selection
[News] Code Warrior develop IDE for DEANN.lu
Posted on 06-Jul-2001 20:59 GMT by Christian Kemp41 comments
View flat
View list
Chris Moore quotes a message by Amiga Inc.'s Gary Peake from the A1 ML: As you may or may not know, Code Warrior has agreed to develop a professional IDE for the DE. We are still taking details so I can't give any at this time.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 1 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
...and who the hell is Code Warrior?
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 2 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Ethan on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Anonymous):
Codewarrior is a very popular development enviornment, especially on the Macintosh platform.
In the old days of Palm Computing, Codewarrior was the only IDE available for the Palm platform.
www.metrowerks.com is the company that develops codewarrior.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 3 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by kevin orme on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Anonymous):
they make Mac (and PC, I think) Integrated Development Environments. Code Warrior has been around for a while, probably one of the major Dev environments outside of gcc, what's left of borland, Java stuff and Micro$oft dev packages. Well respected, from what I understand.
What is interesting is that they'd mention it at all if they can't give details. I'm probably being paranoid, but I remember the MMC and the other 'we can't talk about it' projects that 'we're going to talk about now' all too well. I'd rather they just kept quiet about it until it's 'in the can'.
Too bad they can't bring back SAS. Those guys are so loaded with $$ they could probably assign a team of developers to AmigaDE and not even notice any budgetary impact at all. . . But it seems that H&P are really making headway with converting StormC into basically an IDE for gcc, which will more than help novice wanna be programmers like me . . .:)
kevin orme
www.amigau.com
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 4 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by André Siegel on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (kevin orme):
This is *great* news!! CodeWarrior is a superb piece of software...
Some time ago I read about a version for Linux and thought by myself that it'd be pretty cool if MetroWorks did a version for AmigaDE... I must be a prophet or something ;-)
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 5 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Chris Roccati on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Ethan):
Codewarrior is the name of a product family of integrated development
environments for various embedded platforms (PSX, PSX2, DreamCast,
Palm, etc) and for the MacOS; and it is spelled without the space. The
company is called Metrowerks. So this "Code Warrior" may not be the
same thing.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 6 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by John McKenzie on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
Codewarrior is an IDE product from Metrowerks. I think they started out on the Mac, but over the years they added a bunch of other platforms.
They are extremely respected, popular, and well liked. Programmers will have to comment on the functionality, but from a marketing point of view amongest devleopers this is the best news the Amiga has had in years. If an announcemnet comes along, the fact that Metrowerks is taking the AmigaDE seriously enough to create an IDE will probably be responsible for getting more developers on board than anything else that has been done up to this point.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 7 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Tony Gore on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (John McKenzie):
John, you beat me to it. You are exactly right. the link is:
http://www.metrowerks.com
This is good news. I emailed them a couple of years ago (during the Gateway/MMC days) and requested Amiga PPC support in Codewarrior. I gave them links to all of the "news of the day" and they replied quickly and positively. They thanked me for the information, and said they would watch the Amiga market and if it began to grow again, they would concider adding support....It made me feel good that they were that receptive and didn't just shoot me down. Good to see it's finally going to happen.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 8 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (kevin orme):
> but I remember the MMC and the other 'we can't talk about it' projects that
> 'we're going to talk about now' all too well
That was a different owner. You shouldn't project Gateway talk to the current owners.
If Amiga is keeping all quiet, people complain that there is nothing being done. If someone at Amiga says "Things are going on that we can't talk about" then people will not believe it.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 9 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Daniel Allsopp on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
Am I the only one to think this but, to shite with the DE, make the
bloody thing compatible with AmigaOS4.0!! And ship it with OS4, if at
all possible!
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 10 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Golem on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Daniel Allsopp):
Yeah, I'm sure that would please H&P.... :-)
It would be interesting to know what this thing is going to run on, Linux or Windows?
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 11 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Daniel Allsopp on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 10 (Golem):
Well if H&P would do a half decent job on their IDE it wouldn't be a
problem...it's the little things in the VisualC++ IDE such as a
dropdown list with all your structures members, and the resource
editor etc etc which make it miles out of reach of the StormC
IDE!
Make it look nice, use MUI, use MI AppIcons for buttons...
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 12 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by kevin orme on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Hans-Joerg Frieden):
you are correct, what Gateway did is not what Amiga Inc. now is doing/did, but, the point still stands: While we Amiga users are getting increasingly desperate for great news, 'world shaking' news, any news, I'd still rather Amiga Inc. waited until they had such a deal 'in the can' instead of trickling out announcements that they can't talk about.
A somewhat related story:
About a year ago, when traveling back to Seattle from Silicon Valley where our head office is, I was on the plane sitting next to a guy whom it turned out was from Transmeta, after we started talking. I asked him about Amiga Inc. (Jim Collas' version) and their relationship with Transmeta. He in fact confirmed this, Transmeta were talking to Amiga Inc. but he was of the opinion that Collas & Co. were trying to bite off more than they could handle with their plans and that Transmeta had asked them to go a bit slower. So on the one hand it was nice to hear that the flashes of the Transmeta name in the Amiga Inc. presentations weren't lies, but in fact there was actually talking going on behind the scenes, BUT, notice that nothing was ever said about the relationship between Amiga/Transmeta (ultimately nothing came of it, unless they tell us otherwise in the upcoming AmiWest 'tell all') and the only thing we ever learned was the name being bandied about by Amiga. It later turned out (when I was on CNET.com and saw his picture in a press release) that this Transmeta guy was in fact David Ditzel, their CEO. nice guy, small world.
I guess my point to Amiga Inc. is, don't get our hopes up when you can't talk about things in more detail than 7 words ("we're working with Codewarrior - can't talk about it") because all you do in making those announcements is stoke the rumour mill and nothing more.
Other computer users likely look at us and think that's all we've got, rumors. We know that's not the case, but I'd still rather have the AmigaDE hardware/software in hand or for sale somewhere so I can point them at it and prove my point, rather than having to rely on obscure press releases.
Now having said that, I think the current Amiga Inc. incarnation is doing a *much* better job at keeping things under their hat until ready to announce, even if it means saying nothing a bit more than we'd like. I guess there's a fine line between not saying anything (and people thinking you're not up to anything) and saying a lot of things but never delivering anything. The current Amiga Inc. is way ahead of past versions on the latter, to be sure. :)
kevin orme
amigau@oz.net
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 13 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Keith_Blakemore-Noble on 06-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Hans-Joerg Frieden):
Perhaps what AInc ought to do is what they originally said they'd do - say nothing until there is something to say.
Of course, when they DO have something to say, they need to make sure they say it, unlike the fiasco over the announcements earlier this year, which dribbled out via numerous leaks rather than a fullon press release and details on their website, but hopefully they've learned that lesson.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 14 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 12 (kevin orme):
I happen to have a bit of insight in this, and I can only say that you should not judge the current Amiga by what Collas and Co. did, without going into detail. Amiga is Amiga, and they have already done more in this short time than any previous owners since Commodore put together.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 15 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (John McKenzie):
Metroworks is "a Motorola company". Motorola have shares in Tao.
So Code Warrior for Elate or DE is quite likely.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 16 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Luca on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 10 (Golem):
If it is made for the DE it will be probably coded in VP language, therefore will run on both Windows and Linux. You still don't know how the VP works? ;-)
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 17 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Golem on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Luca):
Sure I know how VP works, which is why I would expect this IDE to run on either Linux or Windows with a codegenerator targetting the DE.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 18 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
well.. old news really:
http://tao-group.com/2/tao/press/20010529-metro.html
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 19 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anders Hasselqvist on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere that CodeWarrior is only
a frontend to a modified gcc. Kind of the same as StormC 4.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 20 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by victor # on 07-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Luca):
Wouldn't it run on both no matter if it's coded in VP or C? AIK, there is a C compiler that generates also VP-bytecode (executable)..
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 21 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by John Chandler on 08-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 19 (Anders Hasselqvist):
Sort of. Some of the CodeWarrior implementations for certain platforms are a front-end to GCC, some aren't.
Either way, CodeWarrior is a pretty damn good IDE and well-regarded. It's also available for lots of different platforms, particularly embedded systems, which is also good news.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 22 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 18 (Anonymous):
>well.. old news really:
>http://tao-group.com/2/tao/press/20010529-metro.html
It is dated June 29th, 2001
Even by going with your argument, which is flawed since that is pointing to another OS, but that is not really old, it is only less than 10 days old.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 23 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Alex Klauke on 08-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (Anonymous):
>> well.. old news really:
>> http://tao-group.com/2/tao/press/20010529-metro.html
> It is dated June 29th, 2001
Yep, 10 days _old_ ;-)
> Even by going with your argument, which is flawed since that is pointing
> to another OS,
Erhh, it points to intent, Taos Java Technology Edition intent. That intent that
is part of the AmigaDE, if you haven't missed it. It's not really just another
OS, it is the basis for what AmigaInc. is developing for the DE.
So, when CW runs on intent, it should most probably run on the AmigaDE.
But when that is the case. Why would Metrowerks have to do additional work to
make it run on the DE? Hmm, maybe there _are_ some extensions by AmigaInc. that
they have to support?
We will see, we _will_ see.. :)
Ciao, Alex
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 24 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 09-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Alex Klauke):
Perhaps. Or not. We don't know.
Amiga Inc. are still very vague on the added value they bring to intent with the DE, or at least they have been in the past. The Party Pack seems to still be just intent with a few added games.
To a previous comment:
And I wouldn't agree that Amiga Inc. have done (released-products-wise, publically) more than previous owners since Commodore put together, that seems a bit harsh on ESCOM who did get old products back in production and some new ones. Amiga Inc. hasn't really done that much more (yet - I hope) when you consider the currently released SDK/DE basically a repackaged intent. (And Gateway did manage to come up with the 3.5 in the end which adds to the sum. :-)
Hans-Joergen may certainly have some added insight in to the inner workings of this particular Amiga Inc. (or previous owners too, I don't know), but then again I believe there was a lot (with varying degrees to be sure, but still) going on inside previous owners too - it just came to a stop at some point. This is of course no reason for that to happen now, but perhaps a healthy reminder of some business realities.
I would really like to know if there is more to the DE at the moment, but no-one, including Amiga Inc., has been able to tell me otherwise. And since they have so openly bandied intent as DE in the past, I have very little reason to think otherwise now. I certainly believe in the possibility that Code Warrior for DE is more than just Code Warrior for intent, but on the other hand, it really wouldn't be the first time Amiga were riding intent's wave as their own...
Anyways, good news still.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 25 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Solar (BAUD) on 09-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 24 (Anonymous):
Warning, just educated guessing here...
From what I gathered from Amiga Inc., I´d guess something like this:
They are partnered with Tao, and building their DE on Tao´s intent. However, Tao doesn´t provide the source code for intent, they just implement changes that Amiga Inc. requires.
Because Amiga requires a little more from their future OS than DE can deliver short to medium term, they opted for a two-way approach: While Tao builds the DE "upwards" into the desktop / server direction, Amiga Inc. builds the AmigaOS 4 "downwards" so that DE can be merged into AmigaOS step by step.
Because Amiga Inc. doesn´t have access to Tao´s sources, they´d like to implement the brunt of the "killer features" (Amiverse, orthogonal persistence etc.) in Amiga*OS* instead of paying Tao for implementing it in Amiga*DE*. In the end, AmigaDE will provide AmigaOS with hardware independance et al., while AmigaOS takes AmigaDE to the desktop / server by adding services like MP and VM.
That might explain why announcements for intent and AmigaDE always sound so similar - because, in fact, the two products *are* similar. AmigaDE would always be intent in a red-and-white-checkered package, because all sources remain with Tao (and will probably be merged back into their intent). However only Amiga Inc. would be able to provide the scaleability of DE/intent upwards to desktops and servers, because of Amiga*OS*.
As I said, 100% guessing. However, in the years gone by I grew pretty confident in my guesses... ;-)
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 26 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by victor # on 09-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Solar (BAUD)):
Just note that you can develop new modules, etc. for an kernel, OS, etc. even if you haven't got the sources, just the descriptions of its API's...
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 27 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Solar (BAUD) on 10-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 26 (victor #):
But you can´t change the feature set of the kernel itself, or it´s API. Most of the stuff Amiga Inc. announced isn´t possible with intent as-is.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 28 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by David on 12-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
You I find it stupid to be happy for something we still don't know what it is. It doesn't mean we should flame anyone now, but, really what is the DE?
IF I THE ANNOUNCEMENT WAS FOR AOS I'D BE HAPPY.
Isn't it ironic that in one moment people are happy with AOS and want it to continue, then they only care bout DE, then they return to AOS when AInc changes plans!! Man, get a life, I thought people stood with Amiga because they knew the advantages of AOS, wich is what's left. If you haven't stayed for that you're should urgently consider a visit to a psichyatrist or whatever...
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 29 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Solar (BAUD) on 12-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 28 (David):
Hush, my heart... :-/
If you are still here because you think AmigaOS3.9 is good for much more than the curiosity value, *you* might be wrong here.
Citing from amiga.com, "Feature set of AmigaOS 5.x":
- "AmigaOS4 sandbox"
You read this? AmigaOS 4.x will be *legacy* in OS 5...
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 30 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by David on 12-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 29 (Solar (BAUD)):
Ok, so I pushed it a little:) But hey, I don't agree with that. What makes an OS strong is its basis. AOS is full multitasking, it has stability...etc. those are the main things for me. That added to the top quality AMiga commited programmers, and comunity makes it very good. It may not have support for many modern things, like 3d, moders surround sound etc. but it's basis is solid and top quality.
What you said about AOS being legacy is not a very informed statement. If AOS will very soon be legacy why did they announced support for it recently on the developerssupportnetwork??? Why did they JUST announced a partnershinp with HAAGE&PARTNER to make StormC the OFFICIAL DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM for both AOS and the DE(!!!!!!!!!!) ???? Would it desever so much support. Why have Gateway licensed some parts of code, they have rights too, like few know (though that's some of a nonofficial secret)??
The reason for AOS4.0 running in a "sandbox" is because of some features that will be added to AOS5.0 like SMP VM MP etc. that will make it impossible for the new version to be as efficient as it can be without support for previous versions. If it's not this then AInc. really are mistaking us. Some users would punish them veryhard for that. It really wouldnt make sense to make all what's happening now with AOS4.0 and then leave it behing in one/two years....
Damn I hope its that..:)
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 31 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by AdmV0rl0n on 13-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
I too am a little puzzled by the Storm C announcement.
Why announce publicly that codewarrior may come on board then make a big announcement that goes off in a different direction....
Again .. weird happenings go unexplained :)
AdmV
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 32 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by AlphaFoX on 13-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 31 (AdmV0rl0n):
WARNING: The following text contains a humor some may not like. But it isn't written to flame someone, I just did it for the fun of it.
Haage (to Partner ;): "Have you read your ANN today?"
Partner: "Well, no!"
Haage: "Gary is speaking of CodeWarrior for the AmigaDE!"
Partner: "Well, no!"
Haage: "Yes! We have to do something!"
Partner: "Well, phone Bill!"
Haage: "ok" (dials) "Hi Bill"
Bill: "Hi Haage, how r u? Have you, my novice, another question about business and the way to lead a monopoly?"
Haage: "Oh sorry, I just clicked on the "Bill" button on my phone. I ought to talk with Bill McEwen, but he's the "Bill II" button. Bye"
Bill: "At last we will have revenge, at last we will kick these linux types to hell."
(Haage uses the Bill II button)
Haage: "Hi, here is Haage"
BillM: "Hi.Who are you??"
Haage: "Haage from Haage&Partner.. you know... we'll make AmigaOS 4.0 for you"
BillM: "AmigaOS 4.0?"
Haage: "We talked about that earlier. We also did OS 3.9"
BillM: "Ah, that was you." (sigh) "Never was able to run OS 3.9 on my PC. But anyway, good job. So, what's up?"
Haage: "Gary said"
BillM: "Gary?"
Haage: "A stuff member.. he said that CodeWarrior will be available for the DE. I'm concerned about that. That's not good for our business."
BillM: "so what?"
Haage: "Ehrm, just make our product official."
BillM: "ok."
BillM: "Wait. What have I to do for that?"
Haage: (sigh) "Nothing. I'll write a nice press release for you. Just put it on your homepage then."
BillM: "oh yes, I'll put it on my page, I'm pretty good in web design, ya know.."
Haage: "Well, anyway, good bye"
BillM: "Good Bye, now I'm going to look how OS 5.0 is going on..."
You can flame me now :-)
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 33 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Solar (BAUD) on 14-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (David):
> What you said about AOS being legacy is not a very informed statement.
> If AOS will very soon be legacy why did they announced support for it
> recently on the developerssupportnetwork?
AOS 4.x is a transition road for users en route to OS5.x. It will be
based on OS3.x technology, with added features and slowly (over 4.0,
4.2, 4.5) moving the code base to PPC, and hardware re-targetability.
(That means, integrating RTG / RTA in a system friendly way.)
AOS 5.x will be "merged" with AmigaDE, which means based on a different
code base alltogether. AmigaOS 4 will be available in a sandbox, so the
old software can still be used. Probably the old APIs will still be
available, but in the base it will be very different code. Thus, OS 4.x
will be legacy in OS 5. OS 5 would be possible without OS 4 ever existing,
because it will base on AmigaDE / intent, not Exec etc.. OS 4.x was
announced to keep users happy.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 34 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by asdasdasd on 15-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Solar (BAUD)):
"While Tao builds the DE "upwards" into the desktop / server direction"
No, DE/Elate, by itself, will never run natively as a desktop or server OS. In those environments, it will always be hosted.
Amiga made the mistake last year of saying that they would add to DE/Elate to make it scale to those types of systems, without understanding that you cannot add things like memory protection on top of the kernel (unless Tao rewrites it). Since Tao has expressed this will never happen, Amiga found out that a different tack was necessary.
So, by using the tech available to them through AmigaOS, they will make a dektop/server OS that incorporates the DE, rather than trying to shoehorn the functionality into the DE.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 35 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Golem on 15-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 34 (asdasdasd):
So instead of going with the original plan, they've decided trying
to shoehorn the functionality into AmigaOS is a better idea, well... ;-)
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 36 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 15-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
"Thus, OS 4.x
will be legacy in OS 5. OS 5 would be possible without OS 4 ever existing,
because it will base on AmigaDE / intent, not Exec etc.. OS 4.x was
announced to keep users happy."
I WILL KILL them if that's true.
"So instead of going with the original plan, they've decided trying
to shoehorn the functionality into AmigaOS is a better idea, well... ;-)"
What does show
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 37 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 15-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
"Thus, OS 4.x
will be legacy in OS 5. OS 5 would be possible without OS 4 ever existing,
because it will base on AmigaDE / intent, not Exec etc.. OS 4.x was
announced to keep users happy."
I WILL KILL them if that's true.
"So instead of going with the original plan, they've decided trying
to shoehorn the functionality into AmigaOS is a better idea, well... ;-)"
What does show
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 38 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 15-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
er... continuing:
If they decide to make AOS5.0 compatible with DE, but just for the compatibility sake, and continue it by itself then that's fine. I'm starting to doubt then....sorry.
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 39 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Alex Klauke on 15-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 33 (Solar (BAUD)):
Hi Martin,
> Probably the old APIs will still be
> available, but in the base it will be very different code.
Probably the APIs will evolute into the new? This may not result in 100% compatible
code, but.. OS3 is now 9 yrs. old and OS4 is 3.9 on PPC. What could we expect
rather than a rewrite of most libraries for OS5? As long as there will be Libraries,
Devices, Datatypes, Assigns, C:, S:, LIBS: (at least some of them I hope ;-) or
new, even better (Amiga-like) solutions, I don't care. I could use my older apps
anyway if I want.
> Thus, OS 4.x
> will be legacy in OS 5. OS 5 would be possible without OS 4 ever existing,
> because it will base on AmigaDE / intent, not Exec etc.. OS 4.x was
> announced to keep users happy.
Not only. There are parts of OS4, that were not in 3.x, for example Ami3d. Those
will be transfered/ported to the DE, which with OS5 will be a dominating part
of the OS. I do not know whether AmigaInc. will transfer every single AmigaOS4
feature to OS5, but most of the newly developed ones, I guess. From this point of
view, AmigaOS4 is intermediate also, but it gives AmigaInc. _time_ and a _platform_
to develope parts of the new functionalities, like VM, Ami3D, Mesa, etc.
But maybe the _time_ is most important. I think they saw at some point that AmigaDE
alone would not give them a desktop OS before 2003. Now they get out AmigaOS4 within
2001 and lay a path to OS5 for 1st the user, but 2nd, and as I guess not least
important, a path for them, AmigaInc., to conscenciously move developement to their
home server OS, which OS5 will be. OS5+ and DE are the targets, not OS4.
Just my 2 (Euro-)Cent ;-)
And the ACM is what is Amiga's developement part in the AmigaDE, a service layer
on top of intent, to say it in simple words. And the _ACM_ is meant to be orthogonal
persistent for the data, and the ACM is what mainly builds up the AmiVerse to the
user. And it is developed by AmigaInc., alone. And only recently Gary stated that
AmigaInc. developers are working at (and with assist from) Tao to implement some
features needed for the AmigaDE into intent. Even this is _not_ done by Tao.
(prove can be found on the various MLs where AmigaInc. is participating, if you
care to read).
Ciao, Alex
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 40 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 16-Jul-2001 22:00 GMT
Ya and Unix isn't old....
Code Warrior develop IDE for DE : Comment 41 of 41ANN.lu
Posted by Glaucus on 16-Aug-2001 22:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Chris Roccati):
Just a comment about "Code Warrior" not being "CodeWarrior". If someone where to make an IDE an call it "Code Warrior" (note that the space is the only difference between that and CodeWarrior) then this would be a blatant copyright infringment. No one would be able to get away with something like that. So we can safely assume it is just a typo and they really meant CodeWarrior.
Other then that... from what I know it is a great package and it's a great thing to have on the AmigaDE. And once it's on he AmigaDE, it might not be too difficult to port it to the AmigaOS. That would be sweet. CodeWarrior is very respected and would give a lot of credibility to many serious developers out there. AmigaDE & AmigaOS need this right now. Good move on Amiga Inc's part. One of the best ways to attract developers is to provide a nice developer environment. We can now provide an environment that is known to be solid and is familiar to thousands of developers world wide.
One question though, on what platform will it run on? I get the feeling it will be a cross-platform compiler for the AmigaDE. In otherwords, I doubt CodeWarrior will actually run on AmigaDE (it does run on MacOS already, and possibly the PC), however, it will spit out VP code that can then be run on the AmigaDE. Any comments on this? Just a theory.
- Mike
Anonymous, there are 41 items in your selection
Back to Top