18-Nov-2017 02:43 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 31 items in your selection
[News] GoldED Studio AIX NewsANN.lu
Posted on 01-Sep-2002 01:08 GMT by GoldED Support31 comments
View flat
View list
Piggy Bank Week: For seven days, the latest GoldED Studio AIX CD is shipped - worldwide, first class - at our expenses.

GoldeED Website Terms and conditions: Piggy Bank Offer can not be combined with other discounts.

GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 1 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (217.39.30.178) on 01-Sep-2002 07:18 GMT
Discontinued
I regret to inform Amiga users that all software on this web site is now discontinued due to lack of time on my side to continue with Amiga software development. Personal technical support will end this year.
Does that say it all ??
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 2 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Jürgen Lange (62.224.82.193) on 01-Sep-2002 08:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Anonymous):
No, it doesn't say it all!
I have installed GoldED Studio AIX two days ago and I've to say that
it is a very nice product (even if it is the last Amiga editor I will
have bought).
And Dietmar has announced some small additions for GoldED Studio AIX
as long as there is a market for AOS 3.9 software (middle of 2003???).
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 3 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by José (213.58.11.68) on 01-Sep-2002 09:44 GMT
What about if there will be a market for AOS4, why wouldn't he consider it?
Or at least let somenone else do the port. It's those kind of apps that are needed and it's a shame to lose them just when there is something moving.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 4 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Ian (195.40.198.96) on 01-Sep-2002 10:07 GMT
It says that a respected developer with a VERY good product can no
longer justify *further* development. What that says about the future
of the market is very bleak. On the other hand, he is only just
finishing off this latest release - he may yet get the itch to come
back, we can only hope.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 5 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Hagge (213.112.60.139) on 01-Sep-2002 10:51 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (José):
"just when there is something moving."
where?
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 6 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (172.184.131.199) on 01-Sep-2002 10:51 GMT
> What about if there will be a market for AOS4, why wouldn't he consider it?
There will be no market, simple math. Assume for a moment that 10% of all AmigaOS4 users actually purchase an editor, then assume that 30% of those choose GoldED (or whatever other program you want to consider). If 4000 OS4 systems are sold, that translates into 150 customers. There is no way you can do commercial software development with 150 customers. The number of customers reqired for a project's financial success depends on the development time spent on it. If you have a title which requires 1000 sold units for break-even (that sum about covers one full-time programmer for six months), 30,000 installations of OS4/PPC-systems are required - unless you have a product purchased by just about every OS4 user (like the OS itself).
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 7 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by coldfire (162.39.222.235) on 01-Sep-2002 12:26 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (Anonymous):
Yes, yes...we know. Only an idiot would buy an amiga, bla bla bla...no programmer will program for such a small market, bla bla bla....amiga is dead, bla bla bla. Heard it all before many times since 94. The amiga has been dead now for 8 years...so what. Let us have our fun and go bother the MS users why don't ya? :)
coldfire
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 8 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by reflect (194.236.28.191) on 01-Sep-2002 13:51 GMT
wonder how many people it will take that purchases GoldED for him to consider going on...
it's not like it's alot of money, most people here (atleast I'd like to think so) are mature, between 25 to 35, have jobs, etc. perhaps this is wrong, perhaps it's not. 60 eur won't leave a large hole in my wallet anyway.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 9 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Jürgen Lange (62.158.227.206) on 01-Sep-2002 15:13 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (José):
Reality check on. There is no product AmigaOS 4.0 available today.
There is also no release date for AmigaOS 4.0. And there is no market
for AmigaOS 4.0 products by now!
This is saying a lot about the project management done by Amiga Inc.!
People like Dietmar are doing what they are able to do, making a
product for AmigaOS 3.x.
Also the Amiga dealers have learned. After offering products like the
AmigaOne and AmigaOS 4.0 in their adverts they now offer extensions
for the Classic Amiga - back to the past! It's the only way to make
money with Amiga products.
There is only one product by now offering the Amiga comunity a very
fast computer and the AmigaOS, Amithlon. But even Amithlon is stopped.
A second product will be there in some months, Pegasos/MorphOS. Some
people are buying it by now. For them it is called BETATESTER.
Mmmh, I've heard that there are some AmigaOne-Boards around. But I've
never heard about AmigaOS 4.0 running on those boards. Perhaps it will
be a nice idea to sell these boards with an Amiga emulator instead.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 10 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by José (193.136.224.3) on 01-Sep-2002 16:53 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Hagge):
Pessimisticaly speking AOS4 will be out by Christmas or new year. It needs apps. It's a vicious cycle, you know, no apps no users, no users no apps. So at least all those companies should give it a try in the beginning and then see what happens. If they like the Amiga like they say, that will be the BEST and LAST oppostunity. Give it a try dammit.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 11 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Kronos (217.0.51.41) on 01-Sep-2002 17:03 GMT
A few weeks ago when AInc was selling that stupid coupons everybody
was shouting stuff like "put your money where your mouth is", and I
would think it would be a good idea if every club-member just bought
a copy of GoldED_AIX, and puts a sentence about his prefered future
OS to the order.
Heh, you would even get a real product instead of an lousy t-shirt.
And yes I'm gone visit my bank about it in the next few days.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 12 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by David Scheibler (217.80.227.254) on 01-Sep-2002 17:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 10 (José):
New Amiga hardware is always "around the corner"...
I think it's only fair that Dietmar will continue technical support for GoldEd
until the end of the year (or mid 2003). It's better than leaving the market
without saying anything.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 13 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (172.185.212.2) on 01-Sep-2002 17:40 GMT
In reply to Comment 10 (José):
> Pessimisticaly speking AOS4 will be out by Christmas or new year
I'd be extremely surprised to see AOS4 before autumn 2003, judged by the level of exitement coming from the people involved with the project, ot rather the lack of it (what I mean is that whenever you have a large project near completion, the people behind it CAN NOT be stopped from talking about it MONTHS ahead).
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 14 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by The_Editor (217.39.41.134) on 01-Sep-2002 19:25 GMT
In reply to Comment 11 (Kronos):
Heh, you would even get a real product instead of an lousy t-shirt.
And yes I'm gone visit my bank about it in the next few days.
Not a bad isea Kronos ... I might just join you in that venture
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 15 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Kronos (217.0.51.41) on 01-Sep-2002 19:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 14 (The_Editor):
Hehe I suggested PageStream to Jürgen Lange in a similar thread
over at Amiga-News.de. Maybe I should ask for provisions ???
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 16 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Ole-Egil (195.1.135.34) on 02-Sep-2002 04:08 GMT
In reply to Comment 11 (Kronos):
Ok, so I didn't buy a coupon. But I want to ask this anyway:
Why would I want to buy GoldED?
I use Emacs on ALL my computers, including the A1200. GoldED is NOT the reason why I use Amigas, so why would I buy it? To make developers confident that there is a market? But I just spent my yearly amiga-budget paing for an editor I won't even use? How can I buy _their_ product if I already bought his? Ok, so maybe my amiga-budget is a LITTLE bigger than that, but it hasn't always been that way.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 17 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Ole-Egil (195.1.135.34) on 02-Sep-2002 04:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 13 (Anonymous):
Whaddya mean, months ahead? We've been chattering about it all summer. Where the frell have you been?
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 18 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Kronos (217.80.165.252) on 02-Sep-2002 05:51 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Ole-Egil):
@Ole-Egil
Why should I buy Hyperion-games (not that I would), when I can get them as low-budget version
in my local super-market (with manual and for x86 ) ?
Why should I even consider stuff like PageStream or Papyrus when OpenOffice is free ?
Why should I buy and A1/OS4 or Peg/MOS when I could just get a Linux or Win box for less ?
If you really think about, you will have to admit that it doesn't make any sense, but we
don't care about sense or ???
My point was and is that the only chance of supporting "Amiga" is to buy REAL products
by people who really do something and not just memberships for an obscure club.
Now it seems that Dietmar will receive atleast 120Euro (by The_Editor and me) in the coming
week, and if many people more do the same, than there is a (small) chance that he might
change his mind and continue.
If you don't like GoldED, well there is other stuff thats really available, like the
IOSPIRIT-SW, PageStream or even the Hyperion-games.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 19 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (172.178.13.119) on 02-Sep-2002 06:58 GMT
In reply to Comment 17 (Ole-Egil):
>Whaddya mean, months ahead? We've been chattering about it all summer. Where >the frell have you been?
I've NOT been talking about you, us, the users, please try to read a bit more carefully. There is an obvious lack of near-release exitement from the developers of OS4. What they have released and discussed so far does not indicate a development state near a betatest. Personally, I'd place the release of technical targets (their OS4 specifications) and design studies (their screenshots which were taken from a hostet Intuition) closer to the beginning of the development than to the end: the phase of design studies, prototypes, discussion of targets, work on isolated parts.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 20 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Dietmar (172.177.176.170) on 02-Sep-2002 07:12 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Ole-Egil):
>GoldED is NOT the reason why I use Amigas, so why would I buy it? To make developers confident that there is a market?
Yes, that's sensible. It's sometimes frightening to see Amiga fans at work, going to such extremes as buying T-Shirts to "keep the market alive". As the author of GoldED, I prefer to see my product used by people who want it for its features and have solid use for it. I'd rather not have anything to do with idealistic ideas, "supporting developers" etc. Software development is a business, nothing more, nothing less.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 21 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Bill Hoggett (212.159.188.148) on 02-Sep-2002 09:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 20 (Dietmar):
I have to agree with Ole-Egil and Dietmar. People should buy software/hardware because they need and/or want it, not to support developers. Consumers are not charities, and the sooner all developers realise that, the better off we'll all be.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 22 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Solar (212.149.48.44) on 02-Sep-2002 10:24 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (José):
> What about if there will be a market for AOS4,
> why wouldn't he consider it?
Simple: Because, for quite some time already, all development on GoldED has been done on WinUAE (sic!). OS 4 does run on special PPC hardware only. Hence, no GoldED for OS 4 from Dietmar.
And if *you* want to do the port, well, go ahead, you can buy the sources from him you know. (It's not like every developer is *obliged* to release his hundreds of hours of hard work under GPL once he loses interest.)
Welcome to reality.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 23 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Ole-Egil (195.1.135.34) on 02-Sep-2002 10:43 GMT
In reply to Comment 18 (Kronos):
"Why should I buy Hyperion-games (not that I would), when I can get them as low-budget version in my local super-market (with manual and for x86 ) ?"
Yeah, excactly. I would rather have the Amiga version than the Windows version, though. you seem to prefer the opposite. Not my problem. Which would you use?
"Why should I even consider stuff like PageStream or Papyrus when OpenOffice is free ?"
Because PageStream isn't a word processor like OpenOffice Word? If you need/want to do fancy DTP things, Openoffice DOESN'T provide it. Oh, and PageStream doesn't imply "Amiga version", any more than OpenOffice implies "Linux version". So if you would rather use PageStream than OO, you should buy it.
"Why should I buy and A1/OS4 or Peg/MOS when I could just get a Linux or Win box for less ?"
Because you want to use it? Who on EARTH would buy a Pegasos to support developers? REALLY?
"If you really think about, you will have to admit that it doesn't make any sense, but we
don't care about sense or ???"
I do. I don't buy things I don't want. I DO however spend a fortune on nifty things I seldom use. But I never buy things "to support developers". If what they make is worth it, I am willing to pay for it. If not, I'll use a competing product. Very simple.
"My point was and is that the only chance of supporting "Amiga" is to buy REAL products by people who really do something and not just memberships for an obscure club."
Well, I'm not a member of any obscure club either. I've bought my AmigaOne already. In fact, I'm using it _every day_. If not, I don't think I woulda bought one.
"Now it seems that Dietmar will receive atleast 120Euro (by The_Editor and me) in the coming week, and if many people more do the same, than there is a (small) chance that he might change his mind and continue."
Not if he finds out noone is interested in his software but only in keeping him developing "because we need people who develop". If his product is good and people really need an upgrade, that's a different story. But some times payment for a product is NOT a guarantee that there will be upgrades. Actually, quite often it is.
"If you don't like GoldED, well there is other stuff thats really available, like the
IOSPIRIT-SW, PageStream or even the Hyperion-games."
Well, since I'm an engineer in software/firmware my 4 most critical applications at the moment are emacs, gcc, make and the Hisoft PIC compiler. And 3 of those I can use on all but one of my machines (the A500 is a LITTLE outdated for running emacs and gcc ;-) ). So I really don't need PageStream or anything. I will buy some games from Hyperion, though. All their PPC titles, actually. I've promised them that already :-)
But I do that because I want to play them, not put them on a shelf and brag about how I support developers. Sending them a cheque would be smarter for that, I think. Saves them the cost of CD and box :-)
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 24 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Georg Steger (195.254.227.85) on 02-Sep-2002 11:10 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (Solar):
> It's not like every developer is *obliged* to release his hundreds
> of hours of hard work under GPL once he loses interest
Well, he could do what has been happening with Blender (3D software)
recently. Release it as open source once having received 100,000 US$ or
so -> fund -> donations -> ... see http://www.blender3d.com.
If this worked with the (mostly?) Linux "want everything for free" people,
why not with Amigans?
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 25 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Kronos (217.0.50.163) on 02-Sep-2002 11:14 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Ole-Egil):
Well off-course I do plan to use GoldED, and I wouldn't have
considered it if Dietmar hadn't told me that support for gcc
is on his to-do list.
And I do know that PageStream is not really an Office-package
like OO, but it's close enough to serve as an example and as
long as Papyrus isn't finished it's the only SW in that
category still in development.
My planned trip to Frankfurt will be done because I really
want that thing, definitly not because I think Bill is such
a nice person ;o)
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 26 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Dietmar (172.185.112.113) on 02-Sep-2002 12:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (Solar):
> Simple: Because, for quite some time already, all development on GoldED has been done on WinUAE (sic!).
Yes, because it's damn fast and fun on a decent PC. If you have something like 2 GHz, lots of RAM and RAID disks, things really fly. I can do a complete fully optimized GoldED recompile in two minutes or so. On my A3000/040, it took roughly one hour, four to five hours for all CPU versions (used to run that over night). The big serious problem with WinUAE is that you have no Enforcer. I don't think Amithlon is any better in that regard, is it ?
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 27 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Ole-Egil (195.1.135.34) on 02-Sep-2002 12:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Kronos):
Ok, so you wouldn't buy it yourself if you wasn't gonna use it, but still you say you're doing it to support developers? Just face it. You telling us to put our money where our mouth is won't make us buy stuff we don't need. It might make us BUY stuff we use, but not stuff we don't need. Grow up and say it like it is, ok?
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 28 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Kronos (217.0.50.163) on 02-Sep-2002 13:04 GMT
In reply to Comment 27 (Ole-Egil):
Could it be that you haven't understand my 1st post ?
It was aimed at those vocal supporters of the club who claimed that
everybody has to buy a coupon in order to save the Amiga, not at
sensible people ...
The only way to save the Amiga (if there is any) is for us to buy
real products related to it. Offcourse this will only help if someone
is producing usefull products, which is something you can't say
about the coupons.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 29 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Bill Hoggett (212.159.182.141) on 02-Sep-2002 14:19 GMT
In reply to Comment 26 (Dietmar):
> The big serious problem with WinUAE is that you have no Enforcer. I don't
> think Amithlon is any better in that regard, is it ?
No, it isn't. There have been some fairly involved threads on the Amithlon lists discussing the lack of MMU emulation, including an explanation of why this would be hard to implement properly from Bernd Meyer, but I'm not going to reproduce them here. (Phew! I hear you say)
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 30 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Sam Byford (62.253.64.6) on 02-Sep-2002 17:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 11 (Kronos):
Already bought AIX (in fact I bought it twice effectively because I stoopidly took the banks guarantee that Dietmar wouldnt have to pay to cash a International Money Order - he would have so sent it back. i couldnt be bothered to get my money back so threw it in the bin and sent him Euro notes instead).
Its a great program - I like the improvements and icons - especially as I found out how to make the icons smaller so that they look "normal" size compared to the rest of my system!!!
Review in Total Amiga 13 there will be (i hope).
Look out for it.
Sam "Bifford the Youngest" Byford.
GoldED Studio AIX News : Comment 31 of 31ANN.lu
Posted by Solar (212.149.48.44) on 03-Sep-2002 05:53 GMT
In reply to Comment 24 (Georg Steger):
> Well, he could do what has been happening with Blender (3D software)
> recently. Release it as open source once having received 100,000 US$
> or so -> fund -> donations -> ... see http://www.blender3d.com.
Nobody keeps you from collecting the funds to buy GoldEd from him and release it subsequently (since it's yours then). Go ahead.
Anonymous, there are 31 items in your selection
Back to Top