28-Oct-2021 08:22 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 69 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 69]
[News] IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developmentsANN.lu
Posted on 08-Mar-2004 11:53 GMT by Felix Schwarz69 comments
View flat
View list
Felix Schwarz, with immediate effect, freezes the development of fxPAINT, fxSCAN, VHI Studio and the IOUSB- and VHI-drivers. Medusa and IBrowse are external developments and thus are not affected.

All products will stay in distribution. Whether the development will be reactivated at a later point in time mainly depends on the further economical and social development of the market and the profits made with it. The AMIGA-pages can be found at http://amiga.iospirit.de/ in the future. Although www.iospirit.de currently still redirects to this page, we nonetheless would be glad if existing hyperlinks in AMIGA-context would be adapted accordingly.

Subsequently, you'll find an open letter from Felix Schwarz to the AMIGA-community in all its occurences.

IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 1 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 08-Mar-2004 11:08 GMT
"...depends on the further economical and social development of the market and the profits made with it."

Diplomatic way of putting it as we all know it's not going to grow. Sad still.. the products have been very high of quality :/

Anyone has information about IB3.. in which state it's atm, any guesses on release date?
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 2 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by takemehomegrandma on 08-Mar-2004 11:11 GMT
I am sorry to read this, but I am not totally surprised.

A comment though: I think that announcements about dropped development might affect sales in a negative way from a psychological point of view; who wants to buy a "dead" product? It would perhaps be better to just silently freeze the development? But perhaps the sales are so low now anyway that it simply doesn't matter?
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 3 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 08-Mar-2004 11:22 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (takemehomegrandma):
Felix already froze his most useful program, ULConv, some years ago.

That was annoying, after I had paid for it. So I am not surprised at this new freeze - this is one reason why I did not buy FXPaint.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 4 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Elwood on 08-Mar-2004 12:03 GMT
Maybe Felix could make an agreement with Hyperion to release versions of his programs with OS4. Who knows, he could get some money with no effort.

What I mean is: as a 3.9 users I didn't buy some software because my 1260 was simply too old/slow. Now with the A1, things will be certainly different. I will think about buying software again !
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 5 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Roj on 08-Mar-2004 12:22 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (Elwood):
Doesn't sound like he's real happy with the Red Side, but that's just what I gathered by doing a little reading between the lines.

This is just more glaring evidence that the technological merits of both MOS and OS4 are much less important than growing up, putting all the crap in the past and working together. It'll never happen, but things like this will continue to, as if this isn't enough. Even if future developers decide to give us the time of day, the irate arguing over the format in which the time is given will be enough to cause history to repeat itself again and again and again.

Good luck Felix. Hopefully some maturity will hit this community in a few years. I'm not gonna hold my breath though.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 6 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Christophe Decanini on 08-Mar-2004 12:45 GMT
Very sad indeed.
Felix did a great work to keep the platform with updated applications. I bought all of them and Felix always offered excelent support.
I hope that he can find a way to make money with the other markets. Maybe he will be able to port back some of his new work if the situation improve.

Thank you Felix, and good luck !
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 7 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by OneVision on 08-Mar-2004 12:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Roj):
Another one bites the dust.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 8 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 13:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (Don Cox):
> Felix already froze his most useful program, ULConv, some years ago. That was annoying, after I had paid for

As a developer of a different product, I find this attitude extremely annoying: if you go to McDonalds and pay 1.99$ for a burger, you don't expect "further development" and plans for Burger Royal TS 2.0. You pay for a burger, you get one. With software, why do poeple behave so differently and start hitting on a developer after sale (another manifestation of different behaviour is p2p theft by people who would never steal in a shop)? You paid for a product, you got it. If the product was not good enough to justify the price, you should have avoided it. But if you bought it, then you have used it, you did get value for your money, and your credit is used up. You shouldn't go on a forum and hit on the developer. My therory is that humans inherently think that software is not worth money because evolution has not prepared them for virtual goods ;) That leads to extreme expectations: MUST provide updates, MUST be free etc.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 9 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by spot on 08-Mar-2004 13:24 GMT
oh.. sorry to hear this! :(
some of the last quality prods just "died".. :(
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 10 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by takemehomegrandma on 08-Mar-2004 13:40 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Roj):
@ Roj

Yes he obviously is, but I actually think he might be quite unhappy with the "blue" side as well, for several reasons. And I also think he is unhappy about the fact that we are now talking about "sides" at all, when it really should be about how we in the the amiga community should grow as an united entity and gain momentum and importance compared to the the rest of the computing world.

> This is just more glaring evidence that the technological merits of both MOS
> and OS4 are much less important than growing up, putting all the crap in the
> past and working together.

Yes I agree. But I would also like to put another meaning to the term "grow up"; and that is about commercial viability. It is of course essential to any third party software developers (like IOSPIRIT and others) that the platform they are developing for gets widely spread and offers a big enough user base for them to make a living on. Todays micro market inside this community (adding together all "sides" here, including classic and amithlon and such) is far, far, far from enough for *anyone* to make a living on. What people are hoping for is a future viable market outside (what's left of) this traditional community, or rather expanding this communitys borders far out into fresh and furtile lands. Any technical advances on MorphOS or new hardware will be totally pointless if this won't happen. And if/when it happens, let's hope that IOSPIRIT un-freezes their development and comes back!
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 11 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by mahen on 08-Mar-2004 13:58 GMT
Thanks again Felix for all you did & best of luck

The Amiga (kinda) survives thanks to dedicated people like you..
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 12 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by MIKE on 08-Mar-2004 14:06 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (Elwood):
He's not a Hyperion fanboy.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 13 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by ilwrath on 08-Mar-2004 14:17 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Anonymous):
> With software, why do poeple behave so differently and start hitting on a
> developer after sale [...]?

Well, software really isn't a product, is it? If I buy a burger, I can do with it what I please. If I buy software, I buy a *LICENSE* to use the software in a pre-described way on a single computer. You can't actually BUY software like you buy a burger. (unless you literally buy source code and rights to touch it.... in which case, I wouldn't hit up on developers, anymore!)

So, my argument is, you're basically "buying" a service contract. Personally, I prefer my service contracts to be with companies that are planning to be in the market for a while. Also, I prefer my service contracts with companies that stand a chance at fixing a bug I find, since I won't be able to do it myself. (no rights to source code.)
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 14 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Elwood on 08-Mar-2004 15:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Roj):
>Doesn't sound like he's real happy with the Red Side,

If he is clever, he will understand that he has to sell products, whatever the side of his customers...

bye
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 15 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 15:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 13 (ilwrath):
Are you also prepared to pay significantly more with your demands about
service contracts ?
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 16 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 15:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (hooligan/dcs):
>Diplomatic way of putting it as we all know it's not going to grow. Well, in spite of OS3.5 (?) not selling 50,000 copies we'll still see OS4, right?So never say never...
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 17 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 15:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Anonymous):
>With software, why do poeple behave so differently and start hitting on a developer after sale Because...software is no food?Hey, anyone go forward to compare computers with cars again? O:-)
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 18 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 08-Mar-2004 15:50 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Anonymous):
Of course we will see OS4, no question about it. But I find it a little hard to believe the Amiga market would actually GROW from where its now .. rather the opposite.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 19 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 15:54 GMT
In reply to Comment 18 (hooligan/dcs):
You will see enough grow when Alan starts to sell MicroA1 in 50,000 batches...
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 20 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by ilwrath on 08-Mar-2004 16:06 GMT
In reply to Comment 15 (Anonymous):
> Are you also prepared to pay significantly more with your demands about
> service contracts ?

Very true, Anonymous. Most service contracts cost a lot more than say, fxPaint. It isn't uncommon for my small clients to pay 4 or 5 figures for a contract. Corporate customers foot service contract bills of 6, 7, or more figures, sometimes. Money-wise, unsupported software is cheap in comparison. The COST isn't the problem. It's the VALUE. What do you REALLY get for your money? If you have no updates or fixes, you're left with a bunch of bits that may or may not do anything at all, with no hope of future USE, let alone improvement.

Though, I apologize for derailing this discussion. It IS truly a shame that IOSPIRIT has to leave the Amiga platform. From everything I've seen and heard, they tried their best to be among the few "good guys" in the market.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 21 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 16:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 14 (Elwood):
Well, if he is clever and want to make money, he goes as far as he can from the Amiga market...
I remind you that it's Hyperion and Co would broke and still breaks the community.

Bye
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 22 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 08-Mar-2004 16:19 GMT
In reply to Comment 19 (Anonymous):
Trust me on this, I will one of the first ones to cheer when the 50.000 barrier gets broken. I have no problem admitting I was wrong. Eyetech is a good company and a long time Amiga supporter, they deserve all the good they can get.
Can't blame anyone for being a little bit sceptic these days, can you?
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 23 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 08-Mar-2004 16:20 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Anonymous):
"You paid for a product, you got it. If the product was not good enough to justify the price, you should have avoided it. But if you bought it, then you have used it, you did get value for your money, and your credit is used up. You shouldn't go on a forum and hit on the developer. My therory is that humans inherently think that software is not worth money because evolution has not prepared them for virtual goods ;) That leads to extreme expectations: MUST provide updates, MUST be free etc.

If that is your attitude, you will be a disappointed and angry developer, because you have completely misunderstood the market.

What people _pay_ for is support, bugfixes, and updates. They will particularly pay for an update that includes features they have requested.

A "take-it-or-leave-it" program with no support should be a free download from Aminet, as it is useless for long term use.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 24 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 08-Mar-2004 16:24 GMT
In reply to Comment 19 (Anonymous):
"You will see enough grow when Alan starts to sell MicroA1 in 50,000 batches..."

Both Eyetech's and Genesi's products have to be selling in 50,000 batches if the products are to survive. It can be done, but it will be tough.

This year, both are barely off the ground. Next year will see either success or failure, IMO.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 25 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 16:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 13 (ilwrath):
>Well, software really isn't a product, is it? If I buy a burger, I can do with it what I please. If I buy software, I buy a *LICENSE* to use the software in a pre-described way on a single computer

Before the law, you buy a product. Limitiations are everywhere. Can you open your car and remove the brakes because you hate brakes? Nope. Software limitations are more apparent because stealing software is so easy. You can't buy one burger and duplicate it for your friends. If you could, Meat Right Management would be introduced.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 26 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 16:37 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Don Cox):
>What people _pay_ for is support, bugfixes, and updates. They will particularly pay for an update that includes features they have requested.

What people pay for is SOFTWARE (if they pay, that is). What programmers want to sell them is UPDATES. So that for those, they will pay AGAIN. In that sense, people to indeed PAY for updates ;) Amazingly, users seem to confuse this at some point and think they enter a life-long friendship with the programmer after the initial sale.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 27 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by MIKE on 08-Mar-2004 16:41 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Don Cox):
Don, if you are still using an amiga most all of your software is unsupported and has been for years. I don't think the expectation that the author of a product should provide free support until the machine running the product turns to dust is a realistic expectation. The market can no longer justify this fellow's investment (time), in supporting the products. Unless specifically stated otherwise when you purchased the product, you are not entitled to updates/support, and I hardly think this makes much difference in the purchase of software for most people. The product is purchased to do a job, not because they have a good update policy.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 28 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 16:43 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Don Cox):
>A "take-it-or-leave-it" program with no support should be a free download from Aminet, as it is useless for long term use.

There is nothing useless about a program without support, the usefulness is in the quality of the software.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 29 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by ilwrath on 08-Mar-2004 16:57 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Anonymous):
> Can you open your car and remove the brakes because you hate brakes? Nope.

That's crazy. Of course you can. I've removed brakes on several of my cars in the past. It's perfectly legal* to do anything you want to a car, so long as you don't drive it on a public road while without key safety systems. (ie brakes, lights, etc.) This is only for public safety, though. If I own private land, and want to drive a car with no brakes around on that private land, I'm free to do so.

(*US citizen - not sure of all EU countries regs, but I think they're similiar.)

As for the brakes I've taken off cars, I have always put a better braking system back on... But I have able to make those modifications to increase performance and driving enjoyment.

So, by your argument, I should be able to do the same with software I've paid for. If I don't like a module, I should expect that it be fixable/updatable. OOOOOPS!

Of course, this whole convoluted argument is poop. Purchased software isn't a product, and can't be treated as one. It's a license to use some bits. Nothing more. To me, there's just not much (if any) value in that.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 30 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 17:14 GMT
In reply to Comment 29 (ilwrath):
> It's perfectly legal* to do anything you want to a car, so long as you don't drive it on a public road while without key safety systems.

you-can-do-anything-you-want-but-you-cant-do? I miss the logic in that.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 31 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 17:19 GMT
In reply to Comment 29 (ilwrath):
> Purchased software isn't a product, and can't be treated as one

I don't want to sound like a broken record but it is before the law. I understand the desire to negate that (it lessens the guilt when starting kaazaa?) but that won't get you around simple facts. You might be confusing the terms "products" and "physical goods"?
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 32 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 17:49 GMT
There's a difference between buying shareware and commercialware.

Often shareware products are less complete products than products you'd buy in a store. Therefore you buy it to show your support for the product and often you are then rewarded with a series of updates of the product. Typically up till the next major revision.

Of course some shareware programmers do this differently, but if I feel I get good value for my money I am more inclined to buy some of his other programs next time. On the other hand I would feel almost ripped off, if I bought a product and the next release would be the next major revision.

It's a psychological thing and if shareware programmers understand how to treat their customers right they also get more sales - if they have more than one product that is.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 33 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 08-Mar-2004 17:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 27 (MIKE):
"Don, if you are still using an amiga most all of your software is unsupported and has been for years."

Yes, and very annoying that is too. However, IBrowse, YAM, Pagestream, SoundFX, Audio Evolution, and several others _are_ supported.

" I don't think the expectation that the author of a product should provide free support until the machine running the product turns to dust is a realistic expectation. "

Who said free? I would expect to pay for updates. What I do not expect to pay for is a dead end program with no bug fixes and no chance of some feature I want being added. Why did people stop using Amigas? Because there was no support and updates.

A program (apart from some very simple utilities) is not a fixed, finished product but a work in progress.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 34 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by MarkTime on 08-Mar-2004 18:15 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Anonymous):
>>Well, in spite of OS3.5 (?) not selling 50,000 copies we'll still see OS4, right?

I'm sorry no one told you, but OS4 was never released.

if it is someday, is anyone's guess, but even if it is released, it won't be released last year, or the year, before, back when it could have done some good. OS 3.5 selling 50k copies, if that had triggered funding for OS4 and it being released two years ago....well...anyway, I do hope OS 4 is technically released someday, but it won't be the same.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 35 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by ilwrath on 08-Mar-2004 18:34 GMT
In reply to Comment 31 (Anonymous):
> you-can-do-anything-you-want-but-you-cant-do? I miss the logic in that.

What? The logic is that you can do anything you like, so long as you don't drive it on public roads. This is for public safety, and has nothing to do with your argument, which is baseless and incorrect.

> I don't want to sound like a broken record but it is before the law.

No, it isn't.*

(once again, in the US, we are bound to the EULA license. The keyword license. Don't believe me? Try to sell used original software on eBay, vs. trying to sell a used original book.)

> I understand the desire to negate that (it lessens the guilt when starting
> kaazaa?) but that won't get you around simple facts.

FYI, I've never run kazaa, edonkey or any of that other spy/share crap. I have downloaded some bits from other shady sources in the past... But that's not part of your argument, and has nothing to do with the "simple facts" in this discussion. Nice straw-man.

To finish off this tangent, most of my current software I did obtain for free. But not because of piracy, but because it was given to me by the (L)GPL and other public-friendly licenses. Oddly enough, these often provide me MORE VALUE, at less cost, as the license also includes rights to touch the source code!

> You might be confusing the terms "products" and "physical goods"?

Actually, by "product" I was implying "physical product." You are correct. I should have specified this better. So, I argue that software is not a physical product or physical good. You have not yet countered this argument with anything that makes any sense, Anonymous.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 36 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 18:57 GMT
In reply to Comment 35 (ilwrath):
>(once again, in the US, we are bound to the EULA license. The keyword license. Don't believe me?

I don't care because that doesn't make it less a product. What do you want to prove with the license aspect? For all obvious purposes, I buy a product. Somebody invented it, somebody made it, somebody sold it and I use it. If it's made of soap or made of bits is splitting hairs.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 37 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 08-Mar-2004 19:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 36 (Anonymous):
"Somebody invented it, somebody made it, somebody sold it and I use it. If it's made of soap or made of bits is splitting hairs."

Would you buy a piece of machinery if you knew there were no spare parts available (and there never would be)?

Would you subscribe to a magazine if you knew it was going to fold after three issues?

The problem with your soap analogy is "somebody made it". Typical programs are barely usable in version 1, get to be usable in version 3, and become professional tools in version 5 (if they last that long). A program is not something that is just made and finished. It is more like a garden, which needs constant attention and development.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 38 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by ilwrath on 08-Mar-2004 19:37 GMT
In reply to Comment 36 (Anonymous):
> I buy a product. Somebody invented it, somebody made it, somebody sold it and
> I use it. If it's made of soap or made of bits is splitting hairs.

But that's just it. A bunch of bits by themselves are basically worthless. When you buy software, what you are essentially purchasing is a *license* to do something (hopefully) useful with those bits. On top of that, if the license doesn't include modification rights, you are stuck with JUST THOSE BITS. So, you HOPE that the company that you purchased this license from, will be around to help you make use of those bits!

As Don said... It might still be a fair trade, if the company sticks around and is able to provide support and updates to keep those bits being able to do useful things. But software needs to keep changing and updating to be useful. Once those updates stop, most likely, the bits you "purchased" will be useless and worthless in a very short time. Be it from being unable to be used on modern hardware, or being unable to interface with newer standards, or whatever.

Therefore, in terms of value, I STILL say software transactions should be viewed more as service contract than physical product.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 39 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by brotheris on 08-Mar-2004 19:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Anonymous):
Bugs have to be fixed ? :-)
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 40 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Kolbjørn Barmen on 08-Mar-2004 21:18 GMT
In reply to Comment 39 (brotheris):
Yep they have.

Commercial software has to fullfill their feature lists as advertised. If they dont, you as customer can chose to cancel the deal and get your money back or demand the bugs to be fixed. If the company selling the software find themselves unable to fix the bugs and also refuse to cancel the deal, you can have a third party fix the bugs for you at the first company's cost.

Same with cars btw :)
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 41 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by MIKE on 08-Mar-2004 22:37 GMT
In reply to Comment 34 (MarkTime):
It was OS3.9 that Fleecy was talking about anyway, when he was making those statements, essentially saying a Amiga PPC OS would never see the light of day.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 42 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 23:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 37 (Don Cox):
> Would you buy a piece of machinery if you knew there were no spare parts available (and there never would be)?

I've never bought software before testing it and I recommend you do the same and verify that it is good quality before you part with money. After that, it will not break down due to wear or lack of oil, trust me on that ;) I have a lot of software on my computer that is totally unsupported but is very good and well worth the money originally paid: an older version of Corel, PicturePublisher, VaroDVD, SAS/C etc. Your idea that good but unsupported software has to be uploaded somewhere is true kaazaa spirit but still nonsense. Besides, to come back to the machine metaphor above, if your coffee maker (or other China product in the Amiga software price range) dies in five years, you will find it quite difficult to get spare parts for it.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 43 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 23:14 GMT
In reply to Comment 40 (Kolbjørn Barmen):
> Commercial software has to fullfill their feature lists as advertised

That is correct (here, too) but feature lists are short and are usually written after the product was completed and tend to reflect actual properties anyway. Customers are not legally entitled to bug-free software, it's just "typical use" that must be possible.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 44 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 23:34 GMT
In reply to Comment 38 (ilwrath):
> But that's just it. A bunch of bits by themselves are basically worthless. When you buy software, what you are essentially purchasing is a *license* to do something

Bunch of bits? Hmm ;) Give purchasing software a try, it will feel like buying any other product. Out of 100 people, I doubt that even one would think "today I'll license AmigaOS4" instead of "today, I'll buy AmigaOS4". It hardly makes a practical difference. As to EULAs, those parts that are enforcable tend to be reasonable enough: multiplication by duplication is not possible with physical goods, so my coffee maker doesn't come with an EULA. For software, it is necessary because duplication is so easy. Big deal.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 45 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Daniel Miller on 09-Mar-2004 00:11 GMT
That's okay, Felix. It is good that you say "I will continue to distribute these products" when some publishers might say "I am fed up and quitting altogether." FxPaint is a great, complete product right now. I'd be more worried if it was missing important features. People should not complain about frozen development until they tell you something they want that is not there already.

Maybe down the road a bit you will see fit to develop the products some more.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 46 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by JKD on 09-Mar-2004 02:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Roj):
Actually I thought he pointedly directed the message at *every* side of the Amiga community, the *sides* being the a large (if not the biggest) bloody problem.

I bought several of his products direct from IOSpirit website..so at least I know I have legit copies. Sad to see the stae of the market proven yet again.

Steve
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 47 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 09-Mar-2004 07:46 GMT
In reply to Comment 41 (MIKE):
"It was OS3.9 that Fleecy was talking about anyway, when he was making those statements, essentially saying a Amiga PPC OS would never see the light of day."

And he was being perfectly reasonable. That sales figure would have provided the money that H&P needed to do the job.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 48 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by priest on 09-Mar-2004 10:14 GMT
I really hope those apps stay available (even if the feature development is frozen) because I think they are important to the Amiga platform.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 49 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by JDoobrey on 09-Mar-2004 11:46 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Roj):
>>Doesn't sound like he's real happy with the Red Side, but that's just what I gathered by doing a little reading between the lines

When I read between the lines it sounded like he's not happy with the Blue Side.


But thats the problem he is talking about everything is about sides. Their is no community left, and no point being a software developer in such a hostile market.
IOSPIRIT freezes its own AMIGA-developments : Comment 50 of 69ANN.lu
Posted by itix on 09-Mar-2004 14:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 49 (JDoobrey):
"no point being a software developer in such a hostile market." Could help if there was market in the first place. User base is too small.
Anonymous, there are 69 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 69]
Back to Top