26-Oct-2021 05:33 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 35 items in your selection
[News] Prometheus PCI busboard news!ANN.lu
Posted on 08-Mar-2004 20:02 GMT by Stephane Desrosiers (Edited on 2004-03-08 21:48:29 GMT by Christophe Decanini)35 comments
View flat
View list
Anachronism Industries buys Prometheus from Matay:

"The first phase of this transaction is to reintroduce the excellent Prometheus PCI bus board. The retail price has been drastically slashed 45% to $175! The Prometheus is available exclusively at Anachronism Industries. Shipping starts March 12, order now and get free US shipping, international customers pay only a flat $10 shipping! "

Link to the announcement on Amiga.org.

Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 1 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 08-Mar-2004 20:25 GMT
redrumloa is GO! :)
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 2 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Christophe Decanini on 08-Mar-2004 20:33 GMT
Good job Jim !
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 3 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by MarkTime on 08-Mar-2004 20:35 GMT
well this is great news for hobbyists who like to upgrade their classic amiga's. I personally am more interested in new systems. But if one were to have a new coldfire accelerator along with a pci busboard, it would make for an interesting classic.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 4 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Katias on 08-Mar-2004 20:54 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (MarkTime):
Not everyone can afford new computers, others would still like to use their old Amiga hardware and keep it as up to date as possible. That`s an option for such people, and a good one IMO.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 5 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 08-Mar-2004 22:06 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (Katias):
> Not everyone can afford new computers

It's scary to think that 175$ already includes 45% discount. How much were these before, 250$? Lunacy. Guys, get a complete Pegasos G3 for that. Yes, it will fit into your Amiga case, and on top of PCI, PPC, USB, Firewire, four IDE, AGP etc. you get a new OS.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 6 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by T_Bone on 08-Mar-2004 22:59 GMT
WOOT!!!!!!!
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 7 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Bodie on 09-Mar-2004 00:26 GMT
Nice work redrum :)
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 8 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by MarkTime on 09-Mar-2004 14:06 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Anonymous):
@anon,

I tend to agree with you, however, I understand for some this is a pure hobby proposition, and having that genuine amiga hardware as up to date as possible, is the goal.

@kje,

I disagree this is about affordability. If you are on a budget, maintaining a classic is too expensive. in the u.s. you can get a wal-mart pc for $199.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 9 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 09-Mar-2004 20:15 GMT
Have you read this at amiga.org?

----
$175 for Prometheus boards?
$175 for three years old boards with bugs in the busmastring is much too high price.

As you know during two years Vesalia tried to sell their Prometheus stock for 99 EUR (VAT included) for each board. Ask them about the real value of Prometheus boards.

The price 40-50 EUR for the Prometheus board, mentioned in the 'PCI for genuine 4000T' topic, would be much more appropriate.

I wonder why you hide here the true story about Prometheus and Matay. Here are some facts:

About Prometheus:
Prometheus is unquestionably the worst PCI option on the Amiga market.
See here the Amiga PCI technical comparison table. It was published over year ago but near nothing has changed until now.

Prometheus do not fit to any Amiga 3000 or A4000 properly. The PCI cards are placed vertically to Zorro cards and collide with them.

More than two years ago Matay recognized his error in the Prometheus board hardware, which results in the lack of the PCI-PCI transfers. It means that PCI busmaster cards cannot work in Prometheus.

The PCI busmaster cards are: Fast Ethernet 100Mbps, TV tuners, USB controllers, near all PCI Sound cards, PCI processor cards and many others.

The only two cards, which can work in Prometheus are Graphic and Ethernet 10Mbps cards. These cards do not use busmastering.

Two years ago Matay promised to update all existing boards using so called 'firmware update', but this update have not corrected the problem with busmastering. Prometheus with this firmware still does not support busmastering correctly. Now there is even no chance for any future improvement because the one and only Prometheus designer - Grzegorz Kraszewski resigned of any future work on this design.

If you want to read more about the current Prometheus situation check Prometheus Mailing List.

OS4 and Morphos support will be limited to the Graphic and 10Mbps Ethernet cards only due to the Prometheus hardware limitations.


About Matay:
Matay, one man company of Filip Dab-Mirowski, has gone bankrupt.

He has not paid his bills. He have not even paid for the production of all Prometheus boards sold so far. The company, which assembled these boards took him to court and now judicial officer is looking for these money in Filip Dab-Mirowski home.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 10 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by hemorroids on 09-Mar-2004 20:59 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Anonymous):
So I see Elbox is bringing their lies and half truths here after Wayne properly deleted them on Amiga.org. Here's a little FYI about this little troll. AO was displaying IPs for a short period of time earlier.

-From AO-
tjaoz
213.76.37.8
which translated to host gives:
pb8.krakow.cvx.ppp.tpnet.pl

To make it clear. It`s modem connection in Krakow, a public one. There are
not many Amiga users in Krakow, none of them would post such crap.

tjaoz=Elbox
This here is Elbox since they couldn't get away with it on AO.

Hey Elbox, thrash any hard drives lately?
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 11 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Van_M on 10-Mar-2004 00:01 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Anonymous):
If this guy is really Elbox, I'd like to ask him about the status of their PPC-on-PCI accelerator! When was the last time we heard news about this project? I know it has nothing to do with this matter, gut I'm sure a lot of people are wondering the same thing....
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 12 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Boinggg on 10-Mar-2004 00:19 GMT
You can see "shark" in a glass-box if you visit Elbox :)
They said it will be released when OS4 is out. So be patient. Very patient :DDDDDDD
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 13 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Chris Hodges on 10-Mar-2004 09:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Anonymous):
Again, using a hacked server or open proxy for posting that stuff? Using local mirrors for reposting rightfully moderated libellous comments removed much earlier from view? Doesn't this remind me of "Dan Gaines", the one who posted the cracking instructions for Poseidon to various mailing lists? Is somebody desperately trying to get rid of the last few stock items? Best greetings to Krakow!
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 14 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat aka tjaoz on 10-Mar-2004 10:52 GMT
In reply to Comment 10 (hemorroids):
@hemorroids

It's me, who published the cited post in the Amiga.org website.

I wrote more info about Prometheus and Matay in Amiga.org before the censorship machine started. :-)
They delete all messages (not only mine), which are not positive to Prometheus/Matay. It looks that showing practical features of Prometheus and the real behavior of Matay is something that Amiga.org moderators would like to hide before the readers of Amiga.org.

Maybe Amiga.org moderators cannot stay neutral in this case? Maybe they participate in the Anachronism Industries business?

BTW. Sorry, that I must to disappoint you: I'm not from Elbox.
I live in Krakow like about one million other people. Many times I wrote in Amiga.org that I live in Krakow. It is nothing revelational in that.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 15 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Framiga on 10-Mar-2004 11:21 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Anonymous):
"About Matay:
Matay, one man company of Filip Dab-Mirowski, has gone bankrupt.

He has not paid his bills. He have not even paid for the production of all Prometheus boards sold so far. The company, which assembled these boards took him to court and now judicial officer is looking for these money in Filip Dab-Mirowski home."

. . . and are you happy about?

i don't.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 16 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat aka tjaoz on 10-Mar-2004 11:46 GMT
In reply to Comment 15 (Framiga):
> . . . and are you happy about?

No, I do not.

But I think that warning others against the company, which do not pay their bills, is a duty of all people, who know facts.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 17 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by hemorroids on 10-Mar-2004 12:23 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Rat aka tjaoz):
Anachronism Industries hasn't paid any bills? Nice try Elbox. Your old smear campaign fails miserably since there is no dirt to dig on this new company, you have to try rehashing your old lies and half truths. You want to talk about crap?

MACH chips used in Mediators were made around 1995-97. Mediator does the busmastering the same way as the Prometheus. Elbox created illegal P96 drivers using pirated sdk. Besides, Elbox has thrashed more end users hard drives than Bush has told lies.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 18 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 10-Mar-2004 15:00 GMT
In reply to Comment 17 (hemorroids):
You should contact psychiatrist if you see Elbox ghosts everywhere :-)

Here we are talking about Prometheus and Matay, its producer.

As you well know, the busmastering do not work correctly in Prometheus even after so called firmware update. This is the real reason why there are only two cards, which can be used in the Prometheus: Graphic and 10Mbps Ethernet. These two kind of the PCI cards do not use busmastering.

In Mediator you can use many busmaster cards: 100Mbps FastEthernet, Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Sound, TV tuner, MPEG decoders.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 19 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Ole-Egil on 10-Mar-2004 15:43 GMT
In reply to Comment 18 (Rat):
MPEG decoder cards?

No I can't. Maybe someone working at Elbox can, but so far I haven't seen any drivers that I can use ;-)
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 20 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Sammy on 10-Mar-2004 21:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 18 (Rat):
I wouldn't call the spider-II as a "high-speed USB2.0" device. It just make half USB2.0 memory stick speed. Using the ArakAttack makes the stuff 3MB/s *faster*!

It's true, that the Prometheus is using graphic card memory to work around bus mastering problems. Prakticaly this isn't a big problem, because the data needs to be copied by hand anyway in mix memory system (DMA/nonDMA memory available).

Sammy
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 21 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Nate Downes on 10-Mar-2004 22:08 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Rat aka tjaoz):
But this isn't Matay, this is Anachronism. Weither or not Anachronism purchased them from Matay is irrelevent now, it is an Anachronism product. Whom Filip did or didn't pay whatever/whomever is irrelevent now. Any more bantering and it is plain to see that you are an Elbox stoolie, even if not an employee.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 22 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 11-Mar-2004 10:05 GMT
In reply to Comment 20 (Sammy):
@Sammy

> I wouldn't call the spider-II as a "high-speed USB2.0" device.

Spider is not a Hi-Speed USB device. It is a Hi-Speed USB host controller.

> It just make half USB2.0 memory stick speed. Using the ArakAttack makes the stuff 3MB/s *faster*!

Where have you get this nonsense from?
I have Spider II and I tested it with Hi-Speed Pen Drive under Amithlon. The Pen Drive fitted in the Spider port works with exactly the same speed as under Windows XP.

> It's true, that the Prometheus is using graphic card memory to work around bus mastering problems.

You missed the point. Due to the bug in the Prometheus hardware (independently of the firmware version) this option does not work correctly. The PCI busmaster cards fitted in the Prometheus slot cannot stable send/received data to/from any other PCI card fitted in the system (to/from the PCI graphic card memory in this case.)
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 23 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 11-Mar-2004 10:08 GMT
In reply to Comment 21 (Nate Downes):
@Nate Downes

> But this isn't Matay, this is Anachronism. Weither or not Anachronism
> purchased them from Matay is irrelevent now, it is an Anachronism product.

No, it is not Anachronism product.
It is Matay product distributed (exclusively, or not) by Anachronism.

> Whom Filip did or didn't pay whatever/whomever is irrelevent now.

In my opinion it is unethical to distribute the product, when you know that its
producer does not paid bills to this product subcontractors.

> Any more bantering and it is plain to see that you are an Elbox stoolie, even if not an employee.

Are you affected by the Elbox obsession?
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 24 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Alkis Tsapanidis on 11-Mar-2004 12:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (Rat):
Hmmm... Playing with logic again?
When will you get the fact that we give *NO FUCK* about the PCI>GFX Card mem
performance? All but the big box Mediators use normal memwrites to transfer
data from and to the GFX Memory. That's a fact.
The fact that the USB card transfers data to the gfx card memory at a **.*mb/sec
rate does NOT matter. The transfer to your Amiga's memory cannot and will NOT
be faster than any memory read/write to the PCI memory space WITHOUT DMA.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 25 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Nate Downes on 11-Mar-2004 14:37 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Rat):
Have you read the announcement? It is Anachronism purchasing Promethius from Matay. Hence, Promethius is now an Anachronism product. This fact of logic seems to be eluding you.

As for the Elbox connection, face it, you're an anonymous coward from Elbox's hometown that's dissing Elbox's competition while promoting Elbox's solution. What other judgement can there be made from the given information?
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 26 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 11-Mar-2004 16:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 24 (Alkis Tsapanidis):
@Alkis Tsapanidis

Your respond is completely out of the subject.

In the comment #22 I wrote about:
1. Spider speed in the PC computer running Amithlon,
2. bug in the Prometheus hardware, which cause that PCI busmaster cards cannot stable transfer data from/to PCI GFX memory.

I hope this will help you to understand what we are talking about.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 27 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 11-Mar-2004 16:31 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Nate Downes):
@Nate Downes

> It is Anachronism purchasing Promethius from Matay. Hence, Promethius
> is now an Anachronism product.

This product was made by Matay in Poland. The batch of Prometheus boards, which Anachronism just bought from Matay, was assembled 3 years ago in Warsaw. This batch was stopped by the assembling company due to unpaid Matay bills.

Anachronism has produced nothing in this case.

> This fact of logic seems to be eluding you.

It is rather you, who have problems with logic.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 28 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Nate Downes on 11-Mar-2004 17:43 GMT
In reply to Comment 27 (Rat):
Your point is still irrelevent. You are dumping the sins of the father onto the son. What do you have against redrumloa?
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 29 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Sammy on 11-Mar-2004 18:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (Rat):
I made this test on my own! If you use an USB1.x device, then there is not difference, because you'll get around 1MB/s. By using an USB2.0 memory stick I get around 6MB/s with the ArakAttack driver. With the same hardware and the spider-II driver I get 2.8MB/s.

I thing this is a little difference. Unfortunatly I don't own an harddisk, because I expect the maximum speed of the spider IS 2.8MB/s, while the ArakAttack driver is limited to the USB Stick speed.


Sammy
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 30 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Sammy on 11-Mar-2004 18:13 GMT
In reply to Comment 24 (Alkis Tsapanidis):
> The fact that the USB card transfers data to the gfx card memory at a **.*mb/sec
rate does NOT matter. The transfer to your Amiga's memory cannot and will NOT
be faster than any memory read/write to the PCI memory space WITHOUT DMA.

The test where made on Amithlon. The OpenPCI ArakAttack driver is working exactly like the spider driver. It also copies memory by the CPU. This driver is only a little slower than the normal ArakAttack driver. The driver is crap! BTW. test were make with 3.4 spider driver.

Sammy
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 31 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 11-Mar-2004 18:55 GMT
In reply to Comment 28 (Nate Downes):
@Nate Downes

> What do you have against redrumloa?

I just wrote it in the comment #23.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 32 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 11-Mar-2004 18:55 GMT
In reply to Comment 29 (Sammy):
@Sammy

It looks that something is wrongly configured in your setup.

The 256MB Hi-Speed Pen Drive, which I tested in my Pentium IV system reached 6.5MB/s with spider.device. Under Windows XP it has the same speed.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 33 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Nate Downes on 11-Mar-2004 22:36 GMT
In reply to Comment 31 (Rat):
I see nothing against redrumloa or Anachronism Industries in post 23. I see a rant about a previous owner. So you are doing exactly as I said, and blaming the son for the sins of the father. In this case, punishing Anachronism for Matay's shortcomings.

Get over it.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 34 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Rat on 13-Mar-2004 06:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 33 (Nate Downes):
@Nate Downes

> I see nothing against redrumloa or Anachronism Industries in post 23.

I will help you:

'In my opinion it is unethical to distribute the product, when you know that its producer does not paid bills to this product subcontractors.'

> I see a rant about a previous owner. So you are doing exactly as I said,
> and blaming the son for the sins of the father.

Why not?
If the son make the profit on his father fraud, you can blame the son as well.
Prometheus PCI busboard news! : Comment 35 of 35ANN.lu
Posted by Nate Downes on 15-Mar-2004 17:56 GMT
In reply to Comment 34 (Rat):
You make a lot of presumptions. You presume that Matay has not and will not honor past debts. It may have been a case of being unable to honor the debt, not selling enough Promethius cards. In which case, Matay's sale to Anachronism would be a manner of honoring that debt, correct? So, your arguement here is again moot.
Anonymous, there are 35 items in your selection
Back to Top