23-Aug-2017 04:16 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 112 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 112]
[News] Amiga OS4 pre-release update availableANN.lu
Posted on 10-Oct-2004 12:25 GMT by Peter Gordon112 comments
View flat
View list
Taken from AmigaWorld.net:

"It is with considerable satisfaction that Hyperion Entertainment can now announce the immediate availability for download of the first Amiga OS 4.0 Developer Pre-release update for registered Amiga OS 4.0 users." Due to the extent and scope of the improvements incorporated into the update, it comes in the form of a full ISO image (33 MB) which needs to be burned on CD-R(W) by the user and is intended to replace the original Amiga OS 4.0 Developer Pre-release CD for installation and rescue purposes.

Please note that the file as well as the resulting CD is for personal use only and may not be distributed in any form to third parties.

Registered users may also opt to order a new full CD which also contains the updated SDK and contribution section (details and terms to be announced shortly).

Among the new features are:

* Kernel-Level Altivec support.
* Much improved compatibilty/speed of 68k emulation (JIT not included yet)
* Improved 68k FPU emulation
* Fully PowerPC-native Picasso96/graphics system
* Fully PowerPC-native MUI
* USB support for input devices
* Support for onboard serial and parallel hardware
* Driver support for the SiI0680 IDE adaptor (including UDMA support)
* Improved PIO mode VIA driver
* Improved Internet capabilities and better ethernet support.
* Printing support
* Improved audio hardware support, including new drivers.
* Comprehensive bug fixes, speed improvements, added features and functionality across all system components.
* and much more...
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 1 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Peter Gordon (195.149.28.83) on 10-Oct-2004 10:31 GMT
Oh yes... nearly forgot...

Click here for Hyperions website
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 2 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (80.133.146.231) on 10-Oct-2004 11:00 GMT
Why is the JIT not included (as opposed to not integrated)? I was under the impression it exists but is not seamlessly integrated and needs a starter or something like that.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 3 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by derf (82.32.43.11) on 10-Oct-2004 11:03 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Anonymous):
its not thr finished version so things are going to be left out for now

it was never said it was going to be in the update
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 4 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Almos Rajnai (81.182.223.162) on 10-Oct-2004 11:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Anonymous):
"Why is the JIT not included (as opposed to not integrated)?"

We never promised that the dynamic recompiler will be included into the update. As it is promised it will be included in the final product.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 5 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Mendoza (80.202.210.35) on 10-Oct-2004 11:18 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (Almos Rajnai):
Does the emulation need to be any faster anyway?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 6 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 11:19 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (Almos Rajnai):
> > Why is the JIT not included (as opposed to not integrated)?
>
> We never promised that the dynamic recompiler will be included into the update.

So? Apparently you think he said that it must be included, but he didn't. He asked why it isn't included.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 7 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Richi (82.84.136.106) on 10-Oct-2004 11:19 GMT
Here we go!!!!!
Os4 Rules!!!
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 8 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Johan Rönnblom (193.11.251.131) on 10-Oct-2004 11:23 GMT
Looks like a good update, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Of course we can always find things which are not there yet, but it's
more important to look at what has been achieved.

Anyway, with the release of an UDMA driver, it should also be possible
to finally examine the DMA issues and bring some more facts into that
discussion.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 9 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Almos Rajnai (81.182.223.162) on 10-Oct-2004 11:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (Marcus Sundman):
"He asked why it isn't included."

Because it is not ready for the job yet. Or you want a crashy system?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 10 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (80.133.128.120) on 10-Oct-2004 11:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Nicolas Mendoza):
> Does the emulation need to be any faster anyway?

If UAE and MorphOS are any indication, a JIT compiler can make execution four times faster. The efficiency of a compiler in the OS vs a classic compiler (like gcc) can be so good that, in terms of performance, it's hard to feel the difference between gcc-generated software and ppc code generated by a JIT compiler. Under MorphOS, it's not unusal to see a difference signifiantly less than 50% between the m68k version and the ppc version of a program. Which is a good thing, taking into account how many developers have left the platform and are unlikely to upgrade their appliations.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 11 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (216.127.82.97) on 10-Oct-2004 11:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Johan Rönnblom):
>things which are not there yet

Like relevance to reality.

Most of us have pc`s now.

"Contains a PowerPC UAE module to upgrade Amiga Forever"
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 12 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Chip (81.205.201.39) on 10-Oct-2004 11:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Johan Rönnblom):
" Anyway, with the release of an UDMA driver, it should also be possible
to finally examine the DMA issues and bring some more facts into that
discussion. "

Are you assume that the UDMA would be released without testing?
Anyway, how would you like to 'examine'? Are you going to buy an AmigaOne? Wow!
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 13 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Chip (81.205.201.39) on 10-Oct-2004 11:31 GMT
In reply to Comment 12 (Chip):
I mean UDMA driver.. sorry.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 14 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 11:36 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Almos Rajnai):
> > He asked why it isn't included.
>
> Because it is not ready for the job yet.

I only asked why not promising to do X would somehow imply having to not do X. It was Mr. Anonymous who asked why the JIT compiler isn't included.
How about actually reading posts before replying to them?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 15 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Mendoza (80.202.210.35) on 10-Oct-2004 11:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 10 (Anonymous):
I totally agree with you, JIT makes code execute faster of course. But I can't say I have ever thought that the emulation was too slow. Maybe it would be nice for heavy-duty 68k apps, like renderers or similar.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 16 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by IanS (Registered user) on 10-Oct-2004 11:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 14 (Marcus Sundman):
So you were arguing semantics that nobody really cares about? Fact is JIT for OS4 is not ready yet, nothing more needs to be said.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 17 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by derf (82.32.43.11) on 10-Oct-2004 11:40 GMT
In reply to Comment 14 (Marcus Sundman):
stop trying to create an arguement when there is nothing there marcus :)

he answered the question, move along, nothing to see here ;)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 18 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Graham_nli (81.96.74.103) on 10-Oct-2004 11:42 GMT
This is looking good.

It is taking a long time, but at least progress is being steadily made.

Glad to see that graphics is now all PPC native, that is a major step forward. As is the SiI IDE driver.

It will be interesting to see people's opinion of the new update, speed improvements, GUI improvements, etc.

Now when will the final version come out? :)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 19 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Almos Rajnai (81.182.223.162) on 10-Oct-2004 11:42 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (IanS):
IanS: thank you. Just want to say so.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 20 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Mendoza (80.202.210.35) on 10-Oct-2004 11:47 GMT
In reply to Comment 18 (Graham_nli):
Heh, I guess that is also scheduled for When it's done ;)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 21 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 11:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (IanS):
> So you were arguing semantics that nobody really cares about?

No. I just corrected one of the most stupid logical errors I've seen in quite a while:
- Why didn't you do X?
- I never promised to do X!
I would have let it pass if only one would have said such meaninglessness, relying on people seeing through the faulty logic, but there were two.

> Fact is JIT for OS4 is not ready yet, nothing more needs to be said.

And yet you talk. ;-)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 22 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by IanS (Registered user) on 10-Oct-2004 11:55 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (IanS):
That's perfectly alright - I think the majority of people understand language barrier difficulties and understood your point. There will always be some who like to correct "mistakes" for no apparent reason though... :-)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 23 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Almos Rajnai (81.182.223.162) on 10-Oct-2004 12:31 GMT
In reply to Comment 21 (Marcus Sundman):
" - Why didn't you do X?
- I never promised to do X!"

- Why didn't you complain for something stupid?
- <Because> I never promised to complain for something stupid.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 24 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Kenshiro (62.255.64.8) on 10-Oct-2004 12:39 GMT
33mb Iso image will now be used as a recovery /installation CD. So how much space does a full install of this version os4.0 take? ~33mb?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 25 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 12:46 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Almos Rajnai):
> > - Why didn't you do X?
> > - I never promised to do X!
>
> - Why didn't you complain for something stupid?
> - <Because> I never promised to complain for something stupid.

That is indeed a fine example of faulty logic. As you can see, the answer does in no way answer the question asked. The person in question could very well complain for the stupid thing even though he never promised to do that. In fact, most things people do are things they haven't promised to do. E.g., I haven't promised to write this text, yet I do it.
Now contrast that with the following logical answer:
- Why didn't you complain of something stupid?
- Because I thought it wouldn't make any difference.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 26 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by bluvi (202.152.162.207) on 10-Oct-2004 12:51 GMT
nice update...
from aw.net, there is report user encounter lockup with IBrowse, dnetc-client and Ami-pdf, and one after some minutes without doing anything .
, also several things,
but overall is good

:)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 27 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Mendoza (80.202.210.35) on 10-Oct-2004 12:53 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Marcus Sundman):
What part of...

- Why didn't you do X?
- Because I didn't promise to make X

...don't you understand?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 28 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 13:03 GMT
In reply to Comment 27 (Nicolas Mendoza):
> What part of...
>
> - Why didn't you do X?
> - Because I didn't promise to make X
>
> ...don't you understand?

Excuse me? There is no part of that that I don't understand. The problem with it is that the answer doesn't answer the question. Not promising to do X does in no way imply not doing X. Now what part of that don't you understand?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 29 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by derf (82.32.43.11) on 10-Oct-2004 13:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 28 (Marcus Sundman):
please just give it up marcus, you got your answer ages ago and are now arguing the point for nothing. keep the thread on track pls :D
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 30 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 13:08 GMT
In reply to Comment 28 (Marcus Sundman):
> Not promising to do X does in no way imply not doing X.

Note that "not promising to do X" is completely different from "promising to not do X".
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 31 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by restore2003 (80.202.207.120) on 10-Oct-2004 13:11 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (Marcus Sundman):
Sigh! Go outside your house, take a deep breath, count to 10 and go back in
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 32 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by bluvi (202.152.162.207) on 10-Oct-2004 13:17 GMT
amigaworld.net seems now more open about problem on aos4 or aone,
it seems, aos4 update resulting lockup problem on other area,


but nice to have more open forum, so other user can help others

:)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 33 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Marcus Sundman (80.74.199.60) on 10-Oct-2004 13:18 GMT
In reply to Comment 29 (derf):
> you got your answer ages ago ...

Actually I didn't. My only question was "So?", and I didn't get an answer to that. However, that doesn't matter much.

> ... and are now arguing the point for nothing

No, I took this opportunity to try to make at least a slight dent in the overabundance of faulty logic that is present in this community. I have several times seen statements based on faulty logic cause major flame wars here on ANN, and I hate when that happens.

> keep the thread on track pls

OK. I think the announcement was good news. Does someone know what was meant by "Improved Internet capabilities"?
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 34 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Chip (81.205.201.39) on 10-Oct-2004 13:23 GMT
In reply to Comment 32 (bluvi):
Or somebody can laugh on it.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 35 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Johan Rönnblom (193.11.251.131) on 10-Oct-2004 13:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 32 (bluvi):
One or two users experiencing a problem doesn't say much, though.
There are always some problems, "laughing" about it only makes sense
if there's a known reason about what causes repeatable problems and
you find this reason to be "funny".
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 36 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by bluvi (202.152.162.207) on 10-Oct-2004 13:32 GMT
In reply to Comment 34 (Chip):
they even talk about kmos, i meant about kmos and Party Pack, that kmos talk only but doing nothing they said, usually this kind of talk only at ann.lu
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 37 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by glokraw (209.102.127.54) on 10-Oct-2004 14:57 GMT
In reply to Comment 31 (restore2003):
maybe the air under the bridge isn't all that much better than the
air up by the road...8')
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 38 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden (84.128.238.248) on 10-Oct-2004 15:34 GMT
In reply to Comment 32 (bluvi):
> amigaworld.net seems now more open about problem on aos4 or aone,

Pardon? There have always been users that have asked their questions or posted their problems there.

> it seems, aos4 update resulting lockup problem on other area,

Exactly ONE person seems to have this problem.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 39 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by JKD (69.4.128.193) on 10-Oct-2004 16:22 GMT
In reply to Comment 12 (Chip):
Why wouldn't he? With all the truths and half-truths and general
mystery surrounding problems with the A1 (and Peg 1) boards it will be
great to finally 'eat the pudding...' (The proof of the...)

Whether people post positively or negatively on these topics, they
surely are interested!

As soon as there is a model of A1 for a more sensible price
(price/spec ratio) and OS4 has all key drivers/subsytems/features
working then I'll be in line too.

Steve
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 40 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (80.202.216.200) on 10-Oct-2004 18:11 GMT
In reply to Comment 36 (bluvi):
I have seen quite a few of those threads lately on amigaworld.. Is just that some certain trolls seems to ignore this threads and then only quote the pro amiga inc threads, so that they have something to bash amigaworld for..

I agree that it was a bit biased in the past, but it has changed quite a bit during the last year.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 41 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Darth_X (Registered user) on 10-Oct-2004 18:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 39 (JKD):
You could always sell your Pegasos and a Mac to buy an A1. Otherwise, why not join the growing movement to see OS4 ported to the new Pegasos platform? ;)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 42 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Darth_X (Registered user) on 10-Oct-2004 18:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 38 (Hans-Joerg Frieden):
> Exactly ONE person seems to have this problem.

re-install? ;)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 43 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by tomazkid (194.103.189.24) on 10-Oct-2004 19:02 GMT
In reply to Comment 26 (bluvi):
Since you were referring to my problems, some clarifications:
The update part went just fine.
The overall impression this far is good, OS4 is generally faster with everything. :)

The problems with dnetc-client, Ami-pdf and IBrowse, and when doing nothing (Amidock?), does not seem worse to me, than those I run into when doing apt-get dist-upgrades with Debian, so propably causedby some minor issues that needs to be fixed.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 44 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden (84.128.238.248) on 10-Oct-2004 19:22 GMT
In reply to Comment 42 (Darth_X):
Reinstall doesn't seem to do it. Strangely though he can boot from CD...
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 45 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by JoannaK (213.130.199.15) on 10-Oct-2004 19:46 GMT
In reply to Comment 44 (Hans-Joerg Frieden):
Looks nice...
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 46 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by Van_M (195.167.119.85) on 10-Oct-2004 21:58 GMT
A few seconds ago I was reading AW.net on the thread about the update and that got canceled from one second to another! WTF is going on? Are the problems so big, they had to take down the whole thread of an external (yet partnered) website?!?

/me np Angel Dust - Come into resistance
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 47 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by tomazkid (194.103.189.24) on 10-Oct-2004 22:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 46 (Van_M):
It is back again.
Seems one of the moderators accidently deleted it.
Shame, all those 120 comments are gone.
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 48 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs (Registered user) on 11-Oct-2004 01:24 GMT
In reply to Comment 47 (tomazkid):
How can you "accidentaly" delete a thread? :)

I mean.. it's not just "click oops it got deleted" :)
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 49 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs (Registered user) on 11-Oct-2004 01:25 GMT
Congrats to all OS4pre-b owners.. have fun!
Amiga OS4 pre-release update available : Comment 50 of 112ANN.lu
Posted by drHirudo (83.148.75.29) on 11-Oct-2004 02:51 GMT
In reply to Comment 48 (hooligan/dcs):
> How can you "accidentaly" delete a thread? :)

> I mean.. it's not just "click oops it got deleted" :)

You know, sh*t happens. But I am waiting someone to invent conspiracy theory from this :)
Anonymous, there are 112 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 112]
Back to Top