Apex Designs have
released a playable demo
of Payback. The
full game is due to be released in less than a week.
If you'd always wondered what it would be like to be a master
criminal, then Payback is the game for you. It's entirely non-linear -
to complete a level you simply have to obtain a certain number of
points - how you get those points is entirely up to you; you can do
what the local kingpin tells you, uncover secret missions or just go
on a mad killing spree. There are lots of hidden surprises to
discover, so you'll have to play the game through several times to
find all the extras.
As you'll have probably guessed, the game is inspired by Grand
Theft Auto, but every effort has been put in to make sure that Payback
beats GTA in every way. The game engine supports perspective correct
texture mapping, environment mapping (reflections), bump mapping,
realistic shadows, alpha-channelling (lens flares, explosions and
shockwaves), 12 channel 3D sound and realistic physics. The game will
also be translated into several languages. This is a game that all
Amigans can be proud of.
Features of the full game include:
- Perspective correct texture mapping.
- Environment mapped cars
- Bump-mapped reflections
- Realistic physics model
- Advanced alpha-channelling effects. (Check out those explosions
and lens flares!)
- 3 huge cities to explore.
- Dozens of vehicles to drive, each with their own unique handling
characteristics. Includes trucks, cars, buses, boats, tanks and a few
- Motion captured human animation.
- Realistic real-time shadows.
- Non-linear mission structure.
- Advanced 3d audio system: Stereo, 12 channels, tracks up to 500
sounds, realistically simulates doppler effect and inverse-square
- Runs well on an 040/25 - and is even better on faster
- Multiplayer mode with support for up to 4 players.
- CD32 and PSX joypad support.
- Graphics card support at resolutions of up to 1280x1024.
As soon as it becomes available, you will be able to buy the full