04-Dec-2022 04:58 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 226 items in your selection (but only 176 shown due to limitation) [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 150] [151 - 200] [201 - 226]
[Files] New AmigaOne firmware availableANN.lu
Posted on 06-Oct-2004 12:44 GMT by Rik Sweeney226 comments
View flat
View list
A news item on AmigaWorld.net states that Hyperion has released the update of U-Boot to 1.1.1
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 51 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 07:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 45 (Bernie Meyer):
I have updated the files to include the GPL now. I can only apologize for the ommission, and say "thank you" to Bernie for pointing it out.

Again, if someone is interested in the source code, please drop me a mail. Since the files are freely downloadable (we didn't restrict them to registered users, as you may have noticed) everybody can get it.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 52 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by kalmar on 07-Oct-2004 08:12 GMT
By the way, isn't Commodore 64 a registered trade mark of Tulip Computers? Only joking :)
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 53 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by THE REAL BOBSON on 07-Oct-2004 10:37 GMT
In reply to Comment 40 (hooligan/dcs):
I think Christian should ban some IP's which are used regularly. Start with the IP from idiot Bobson and continue banning until he runs out of proxies.

RIGHT!

Someone has been impersonating me. I hardly ever come onto this site, let alone post because the signal to noise ration is far to high. I contacted Christian via email a few days ago to register my nick, but have yet to hear anything back. The only sites I ever bother with Amigaworld.net and sometimes Amiga.org.

I think the simple solution is for me to never post here. If you happen to see anyone post with my nick please disregard it.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 54 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by JoannaK on 07-Oct-2004 11:27 GMT
In reply to Comment 50 (Hans-Joerg Frieden):
I'm Sorry. Didn't seen your reply before I post the comment.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 55 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 07-Oct-2004 11:40 GMT
In reply to Comment 53 (THE REAL BOBSON):
>RIGHT!
>Someone has been impersonating me. I hardly ever come onto this site, let alone post because the signal to noise ration is far to high. I contacted Christian via email a few days ago to register my nick, but have yet to hear anything back. The only sites I ever bother with Amigaworld.net and sometimes Amiga.org.

who hasn't been impersonated lately? :)
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 56 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs (Registered user) on 07-Oct-2004 12:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 55 (hooligan/dcs):
Ermmm... :-D
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 57 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 12:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 54 (JoannaK):
Accepted, thank you.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 58 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 07-Oct-2004 13:17 GMT
In reply to Comment 56 (hooligan/dcs (Registered user)):
Well okay NOW he list is complete heh
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 59 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by hooligan/dcs on 07-Oct-2004 13:32 GMT
In reply to Comment 58 (hooligan/dcs):
the .. the .. the .. the..
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 60 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 13:34 GMT
Who cares if someone has been impersonating you?
You might be a troll, as well.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 61 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Peter Gordon on 07-Oct-2004 14:02 GMT
In reply to Comment 60 (Anonymous):
Nahh... Bobson is a ok bloke. Met him at the Bath show, also bought some hardware off him. He's not a troll. True, he did once burn a Genesi poster two years ago, but he apologised for that ;-)
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 62 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Thomas on 07-Oct-2004 14:19 GMT
In reply to Comment 45 (Bernie Meyer):
Well....Could you comment on this to http://www.amigaab.se ...:)
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 63 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 14:22 GMT
In reply to Comment 47 (Rik Sweeney):
Sadly, while looking for examples on OS4Depot.net, I came across scummvmos4.lha, uploaded by one Hans-Joerg Frieden, which turned out to be a port of a GPL'ed piece of software statically linked against an LGPL'ed library. No source, no written offer of source, no nothing. Except for the library, a pointer to the main SDL website --- where the latest stable version of the sources, however, does not contain any reference to OS4 support.However, from the same amiga-news.de posting, "patch" by Bjorn Hagstrom (sorry, no umlauts on this keyboard) has the source package rigt alongside the binary package. The same goes for the earlier "m4" for OS4 and 68k. nrg2iso contains the source. UAE4All (UAE on Sega dreamcast) has binary and source side-by-side. xbill for OS4 has sources in the archive, as does the GNU make port.A bit earlier, the atari 800 emulator port for MorphOS by Ilkka Lehtoranta contains the sources right there in the archive.I also found swfplayer (statically linked against a GPL'ed library, thus under the GPL --- GPL text included, no source, no offer, no reference to GPL status in README). Oh well, can't win them all....
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 64 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 14:24 GMT
In reply to Comment 62 (Thomas):
What kind of comment were you looking for? "I don't speak whatever language that is"? Or maybe "There seems to be a distinct lack of content at that site, at least when browsing with lynx"?
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 65 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 14:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
You are a nitpicker, Bernie. I will ask Björn to take it down.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 66 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Thomas Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 15:01 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
> Oh well, can't win them all....

I guess you don't have anything else to do in your spare time, right ?

Sorry to say, but you are OBSESSED. The amount of GPL whining has really reached a new level. No, don't tell me about spirit of GPL or whatever. Most people so loudly complaining here are just plain whiners that want to find something to nitpick about. You give a rat's ass about the software, the most important things is that you somehow can humiliate people for whatever sick reason in your mind. You don't care about the GPL, you don't care about anything but how to piss on people not living up to your high moral standards.

Ridiculous.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 67 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Tryo on 07-Oct-2004 15:08 GMT
In reply to Comment 66 (Thomas Frieden):
Obvisously you missed the point. But well, thats common for you two guys I suppose.

Found this on aw.net:

> Unfortunately I have to ask everybody to delete ScummVM from their disk.
>
> As Mr. Bernd Meyer pointed out on ANN.lu, I violated the GPL by not providing
> the GPL text along with the binary. So this archive is illegal, and I can
> only ask you to remove it.
>
> I have also asked the maintainers to remove the item from OS4depot.net. I
> don't think I will ever upload it again, sorry.

Thanks."

Now starting some "Hetzkampagne" against Bernie, don't you?
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 68 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Tryo on 07-Oct-2004 15:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 66 (Thomas Frieden):
Obvisously you missed the point. But well, thats common for you two guys I suppose.

Found this on aw.net:

> Unfortunately I have to ask everybody to delete ScummVM from their disk.
>
> As Mr. Bernd Meyer pointed out on ANN.lu, I violated the GPL by not providing
> the GPL text along with the binary. So this archive is illegal, and I can
> only ask you to remove it.
>
> I have also asked the maintainers to remove the item from OS4depot.net. I
> don't think I will ever upload it again, sorry.
>
> Thanks.

Now starting some "Hetzkampagne" against Bernie, don't you?
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 69 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Fabio Alemagna on 07-Oct-2004 15:11 GMT
In reply to Comment 66 (Thomas Frieden):
You sound pretty pissed off, too bad it's all your own fault.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 70 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Andy Stuartson on 07-Oct-2004 15:17 GMT
In reply to Comment 66 (Thomas Frieden):
You wankers should follow the GPL rules.

Bernie is as honest as they come, you fuckers at HYPErion are dishonest as they come.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 71 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 07-Oct-2004 15:23 GMT
In reply to Comment 70 (Andy Stuartson):
Ah, the friendly amiga kommunity at work *sigh*

We would get so much further if we just were abit more friendly to eachother, but oh well, that would be to easy
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 72 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Alessandro Rubini on 07-Oct-2004 15:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 66 (Thomas Frieden):
The "amount of GPL whining" is directly proportional to the disrespect to the GPL, including your undeniable licence violations and copyright infringements.

You and your company are at fault here, not the people pointing out your faults, whether they dislike you or you dislike them is irrelevant. We did not create the GPL or expect honest developers and companies to comply to licences for "sick reasons".

Your attitude is severely disturbing. To reduce the number of licence violation complaints, you can reduce the number of licence violations.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 73 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by SlimJim on 07-Oct-2004 15:33 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
@Bernie
Fair comments and good spotted. But why air them on ANN? Do you think these omissions would not have been corrected had you informed the culprits over e-mail?

@Friedens
Removing the progs from OSDepot and not re-uploading them because of this is just childish. It might be nitpicking, but Bernie IS right. So you forgot and someone noticed -- fair enough. Just accept it, correct it and move on. Making a big deal of it is just silly. You guys take things too personally sometimes.
.
SlimJim
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 74 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by SlimJim on 07-Oct-2004 15:35 GMT
By the way, thanks for the Firmware update! Installed and works like a charm.
.
SlimJim
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 75 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 15:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 70 (Andy Stuartson):
You shouldn't call me a wanker.

Bernie is right about me being not in compliance with the GPL, but he could have been so kind and notify me in private mail, not on a forum. He didn't do it exactly to give people like you the incentive to call me a wanker.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 76 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Joe on 07-Oct-2004 15:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 73 (SlimJim):
I am glad Bernie exposes Hyperion on here, if you want a gag over mouth policy then go back to Amigaworld.net.

Hyperion act professional instead of kids in a playground breaking GPL.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 77 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by SlimJim on 07-Oct-2004 15:42 GMT
In reply to Comment 76 (Joe):
> [...] if you want a gag over mouth policy
> then go back to Amigaworld.net.

Sigh. Whatever.
.
SlimJim
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 78 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 15:42 GMT
In reply to Comment 73 (SlimJim):
> Removing the progs from OSDepot and not re-uploading them because of this is
> just childish. It might be nitpicking, but Bernie IS right. So you forgot and
> someone noticed -- fair enough. Just accept it, correct it and move on. Making a
> big deal of it is just silly. You guys take things too personally sometimes.

So be it. If I don't do anything I don't run the danger to do something wrong.

FYI, it was just this one file, scummvm. It has been removed from Os4 depot, I have asked everyone to delete the file. That is one way to react towards such a situation, and that is how I will handle it

I reserve the right to be childish because plainly, I am just simply tired of this stupid game.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 79 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 15:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
@MR. Meyer
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 80 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 15:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
@MR. Meyer
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 81 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 15:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 68 (Tryo):
> Now starting some "Hetzkampagne" against Bernie, don't you?

No, I don't. I just stated the facts, didn't I? I could have skipped the detail about who brought this to my attention, but Bernie didn't show me that favour, either, to make things private.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 82 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 15:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
@Mr. Meyer

If your looking for examples on OS4 Depot you also an AmigaONE.

Can we expect some nice programms from you ?
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 83 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 07-Oct-2004 15:46 GMT
In reply to Comment 72 (Alessandro Rubini):
I'll not respond the your whole post, as it's abit to inflamatory for my taste, except the relevant part:

" To reduce the number of licence violation complaints, you can reduce the number of licence violations."

Do you know the saying 'to err is human'? While you are right that making sure there are no violations are present is important, it's also important that we are talking to people here, they can, and will, make errors, we all do, what the problem is, the thing that gets to alot of people, is the way these things are handled by some people, i'd guess that only one or two people were serious about this issue, while the rest of the complaining people jumped on the bandwagon in order to get a shot to the Friedens (or Amidog, afew weeks/months ago).

Violating the GPL is bad, intentionally trying to undermine a person is worse.

See a violation of the GPL? Mail the people involved & be done with it.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 84 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Harold Shipman GP on 07-Oct-2004 15:48 GMT
I think we should pirate 1 product made by Hyperion for every 1 time there is a GPL violation by them.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 85 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 15:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 66 (Thomas Frieden):
I have 4 monitors in front of me. I work from home, and some of the things I do for work take a while to run. So on one monitor I was looking through the recent amiga-news.de software announcements TO PROVIDE A COUPLE OF EXAMPLES WHERE THE SOURCE WAS INCLUDED WITH THE BINARY. Did you get that? I downloaded the scummvm archive looking for a POSITIVE example to give. I was looking for Hans-Joerg to have done GOOD.

It took me the spare 2 minutes here and there over most of the evening to check through the recent uploads, and I found that most uploaders had indeed done good, and had fulfilled their obligation under the GPL. So I could reply to the poster who asked for such examples (and stated he had never seen any). Is that a nasty thing to do? Is that obsessive? Or is it just common courtesy, when you have made a point and someone asked for supporting examples, to go and dig up those examples.

Now, both you and Hans-Joerg seem to have a problem with me also listing the negative examples I found. But I am no mindless cheerleader; I do not see the point in looking if I disregard anything that isn't nice and warm and fuzzy. So in with the good I also listed the bad. Mind you, I did not go looking for bad. I went looking for good, and in amongst it, found bad. That's the way the world is, and pretending it isn't will only get you into trouble in the long run.

The fact that Hyperion seems to be at the wrong end of GPL debates a whole lot does not imply that everyone is out to get Hyperion. It may, just possibly, be caused by a rather lax attitude towards the GPL on Hyperions part (where that encompasses the company as well as the individual coders).

Last time, it was Amidog who got caught. In reaction to that thread, two people mailed me and pointed out a problem with ixemul.library for MorphOS. Accusations were flying high and wild (including in the comments of the Amidog thread). Yet when I mailed my distributor, I was pointed at bbrv; After mailing them, I received an immediate and very helpful response, and within less than two days, had the source code, an apology for the mixup, and an assurance that things would be handled better in the future. No indignation, no paranoia, no martyr complexes. Pretty much the way Hans-Joerg acted in the low-50s comments in this thread. That's the way to deal with this sort of stuffup. Actually, the best thing would be not to stuff up in the first place, of course.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 86 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by brotheris on 07-Oct-2004 15:50 GMT
In reply to Comment 78 (Hans-Joerg Frieden):
How do you look at those websites which pirate your software ?
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 87 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Fabio Alemagna on 07-Oct-2004 15:51 GMT
In reply to Comment 83 (Amon_Re):
> See a violation of the GPL? Mail the people involved & be done with it.

Why, why should people reserve for you so much friendliness, why should they do to you a so big favour, when your whole stance torwads the GPL is questionable, to say the least?

To begin with, all this started because someone said you were in violation of the GPL, and you condescendigly said that you weren't, only to be found at fault not much later on.

That being what happened, why do you think someone should be so kind torwards you, when you're not even remotely entitled to sport the "kind" adjective beside your name?
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 88 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 15:53 GMT
In reply to Comment 82 (Anonymous):
>If your looking for examples on OS4 Depot you also an AmigaONE.

No, I don't own an AmigaOne. I was looking there because (a) it seemed the most appropriate place to look for examples of well-handled GPL ports for OS4, and (b) because a site I have constantly open in a browser (amiga-news.de) regularly posts lists of recent uploads to that site, so it was easy to find.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 89 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 07-Oct-2004 15:57 GMT
In reply to Comment 87 (Fabio Alemagna):
I'll simply repost my responce to you from aw.net, i won't be discussing this any further with you after this post.

"I disagree, those posts you are refurring to were to people who were insulting/abusing them; do you think someone will just smile & nod when insulted?

Not everyone has the tick skin for that, and after several years even a tick skin wears thin.

Buttomline is, the people complaining are complaining about something valid for the wrong reasons."
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 90 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 16:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 89 (Amon_Re):
I can't speak for others, but the reason *I* looked into the GPL compliance of this U-Boot update was because of Hans-Joerg's 'The whole of this "GPL violation" crap is really ridiculous' comment. In my eyes, it was too aggressive to not be challenged (and the same goes for Thomas's so-show-me-or-shut-up kind of statement.

And you will notice that I was quite nice about challenging it, too. I did not attack anyone, I simply pointed out that the statement was wrong, and that *in this case* there had indeed been a GPL violation.
You will hopefully further notice that before posting, I checked my facts. And before posting in reply to comment 47, I checked a lot more; I probably downloaded over 10MB worth of archives to actually look and see how the authors handled the GPL. One of them I had to transfer to a different machine to look at, because the version of lha used was newer than the one on my browser machine, and a readme wouldn't unpack. It took a long time to write that reply (not the least because I was doing all this during idle-times in my work-from-home job), but in the end, you can be sure that it was factually correct.

The Friedens didn't do that. They simply jumped up and down and proclaimed moral superiority, *without* checking the facts. That's not a nice thing to do, and calling them on it is not a nasty thing do.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 91 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 16:11 GMT
Now the sad bastards on AW are slagging down Bernie.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 92 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Asemoon on 07-Oct-2004 16:13 GMT
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=7106&forum=9&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 93 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 07-Oct-2004 16:20 GMT
In reply to Comment 90 (Bernie Meyer):
This mess is a double edged blade, the Friedens have been abused for many a year on various things, so i understand their point of view, and aggressive tone, god knows i'd be even less deplomatic then they are.

I also understand your point of view, that's one of the reasons i didn't reply to you on this yet, the problem isn't their attitude, or yours, it's the noicy, abusive others that are the root of this current situation.

Some people should grow up, some should let go of past grudges, and others should just leave us alone instead of coming here & try & stirr up trouble.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 94 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 16:27 GMT
In reply to Comment 63 (Bernie Meyer):
I think I owe Bernie an apology.

It was me that did something wrong when I forgot the license files. It happened because I was careless. It was correct for Bernie to point this out to me.

It hasn't been done out of ill-will or the intention to cause harm to someone. It was just an oversight, probably founded on the assumption that most people know ScummVM and know that it is GPL'ed, and the fact that I have my hands full of work but thought it a nice gesture to release the ScummVM port that had been sitting on my disk for some time now (since I used it mainly for my work on SDL) to the users of AmigaOS 4.0.

I still think that it should have been done in privacy, if the motivation was to correct a mistake that I did. Unfortunately it was done here, and what becomes of this is already obvious. 'Wanker' was probably one of the nicer words I'd hear if I would read anything in this thread, which I will not. This will again be used as an argument or propaganda item against Hyperion, who had nothing to do with my mistake.

I have decided to correct my mistake by asking the folks at OS4Depot.net to take it down, and I will do likewise for Aminet.

I can only stress again that it was an oversight and not any sort of mischief or bad intention. I intended to submit my patches to ScummVM to the maintainers, and continue to maintain the AmigaOS 4 port, and make the source code available by that way.

It might have been childish to take down the archive, and it might be childish to have decided to stop working on this port for now, and not submit anything to the official maintainers, but so be it. The reaction of some folks here has been, mildly put, inappropriate and impolite, but I guess that is what you get when you are impolite yourself.

This is all I have to say about the subject, and this is all I will write on it here. I will link this on AW.net - it was not my intention to start a crusade against Bernie.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 95 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 16:51 GMT
Nice one Bernie, you dick head, why didn't you just email him and sort things out like an adult? ....no hang on I think I just answered my own question.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 96 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Hans-Joerg Frieden on 07-Oct-2004 16:54 GMT
In reply to Comment 84 (Harold Shipman GP):
Please read my statement. I explicitly explained that Hyperion has nothing to do with it. Condoning piracy is not an appropriate reaction.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 97 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 16:58 GMT
In reply to Comment 95 (Anonymous):
You mention the word "Adult" but call Bernd a dickhead? grow up child.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 98 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 07-Oct-2004 17:16 GMT
In reply to Comment 90 (Bernie Meyer):
Just a small question for Bernie. How come you spend so much time defending the GPL while you yourself decided not to use it but rather get yourself a special license for Amithlon?

"Yes, we are using UAE's CPU emulation. We are also using UAE's FPU emulation. Before we started work on this thing, Harald contacted the respective authors, and they agreed to grant us a non-GPL licence to these pieces of code. So while we are using code that also was released under the GPL, we are not using the GPL'ed version. OK?"

(Quote from http://byron.csse.monash.edu.au/amithlon.htm)

So at the same time as you defend it, you personally avoid it. How come? Just curious.
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 99 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 17:32 GMT
In reply to Comment 98 (Anonymous):
There are a number of answers to this. In random order:

(a) Amithlon needed to make money. I spent about a man-year programming it, and I simply couldn't have justified doing so if there wasn't the prospect of money at the end (as it is, I ended up losing tens of thousands of dollars compared to simply accepting paid employment --- but at least there was the *chance* of coming out ahead; With the GPL, that would have been impossible)
(b) Amithlon, to work as it did, needed to include non-free third party code (Picasso96, Kickstart and AmigaOS 3.9). Not as on option, not as something the user may choose to install at their own leisure, but deeply embedded into the product; You can't do that with a GPL'ed product (H&P might disagree, but then, they are known not to share my value system, which includes not violating other people's licenses)
(c) I am certainly not trying to get away from the GPL. I have released as much as I could under the GPL --- most prominent the JIT compiler for UAE. But also all the sample programs on the Amithlon CD were under the GPL. Same for PuhDerBaer (yes, that had to be GPL, just like the Amithlon linux kernel --- but it would have been, anyway). And I tried my dmandest, both during contract negotiations as well as during the product life, to make sure that H&P complied with their AmigaXL. If you know what to search for, you will find over a decade of GPL contributions by me, including the first implementation of the "noatime" mount flag for linux, a very early deamnd-loader for linux modules, the magic keyboard extensions, and much more. The RC5-64 core on many Alpha platforms was lovingly handcoded by me (yeah, it's not GPL, but its still freely distributable). I think I also released some of the code from my PhD thesis under the GPL.

I like the idea of the GPL. But I can also see that it isn't always the right license, and for Amithlon, it wasn't. For most things I release, it is, and then I use it.

Of course, in two days time, the Amithlon contract will be over beyond a shadow of a doubt, beyond debate, beyond any possible challenge, and while point (b) of course stands, I will at least have the chance to look at things anew without having to think about point (a). Considering how sick I am of work right now, I am tempted to take December off (at full pay) and do something fun that doesn't need to earn money :)
New AmigaOne firmware available : Comment 100 of 226ANN.lu
Posted by Bernie Meyer on 07-Oct-2004 17:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 98 (Anonymous):
Oh, BTW --- your link is dead. Byron is no more, and hasn't been for quite some time. I still have its hard disk in a drawer somewhere :)
Anonymous, there are 226 items in your selection (but only 176 shown due to limitation) [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 150] [151 - 200] [201 - 226]
Back to Top