22-Jan-2022 15:31 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 290 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 150] [151 - 200] [201 - 250] [251 - 290]
[News] Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs"ANN.lu
Posted on 23-Aug-2003 13:55 GMT by Amon_Re290 comments
View flat
View list
We're testing a patch for the U-Boot / Linux Kernel which takes care of all USB related issues and IDE to IDE DMA transfers which now work 100% reliable.

(Thanks to Adam and Mai Labs for their efforts.)

This was accomplished by tinkering with the VIA 686B settings, nothing else, conclusively proving that the issues are related to that Southbridge and not to the Articia S.

All IRQ' are routed through the VIA 686B and most if not all issues appear to be related to unserviced interrupts.

Hopefully this will end all the FUD about these issue's once & for all. Read the original post here.

Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 1 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 12:15 GMT
>Hopefully this will end all the FUD about these issue's once & for all

Excuse me but what exactly is your point? Every hardware bug (well, almost every ;-) can be fixed with software. Solutions vary from turning hardware and/or features off to running them in a "safer" modes, alas normally slower. The fact that the A1 side fixes a bug with software on the VIA side and the other side fixes a similar bug with hardware on the MAI side can mean everything and nothing. In a computer, most parts are connected soemhow. It can mean that the sofwtare fix is used because they don't have enough money and rather make something slower. Or it can mean that it is a vlaid alternative solution and the hardware fix was wasted money. Who knows. We certainly won't know while the experts describe the details with such nebulous terms as "tinkering" ;-) All I know for sure is that my Pegasos with hardware fix works nicely, so apparently they knew what was wrong and fixed it.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 2 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by LinusG on 23-Aug-2003 12:37 GMT
There is always people who will not accept the truth.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 3 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 12:52 GMT
Why one needs a patch, if everybody said there was no bug at all?
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 4 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by catohagen on 23-Aug-2003 13:06 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (Anonymous):
>Why one needs a patch, if everybody said there was no bug at all?

Genesi didnt get the Articia S to work with Pegasos and then it was crap and Genesi made a fix with the name April, and made the "There is no Mai without April" stunt and that AmigaOne is junk.

Seems there is no bug in Articia S afterall if everything works on AmigaOne.

the patch you ask for is for the southbridge i guess, if you just read the news
item before rushing out with stupid remarks and questions..

Now i would like to ask a question, what exactly _does_ the April chip do and
why are there 2 of them ?
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 5 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 13:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (Anonymous):
Please reread,

The bug people were going on about was in the Articia-S the one that April 1 fixed.

The dispute ( the FUD some would say ) was over whether it was still present in the fixed Articia-S used in the A1XE.

It is not.

The remaining problem is a VIA "configuration" problem.

Keep up! ;-)
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 6 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:11 GMT
If this fixes CRC errors like reported by "some" people and DMA is still switched on and used for transfers then this the final prove that it's the VIA southbridge. Does it come as an suprise? Nope, because it's known for years by PC users with the same southbridge. Does it have impact on the Amiga world. Yup, because:

a) A certain compagny with an expensive fix in a fast CPLD will look rather incompetent. Not solely because of the expensive hardware fix, but because of relating this issue to the northbridge and therefore upsetting one of the very few PPC northbridge manufacturers. It could even result in a lawsuit against Genesi.
b) A completely working AmigaONE will lead to an increased sale of AmigaONE's and The people will have full confidence in an AmigaTWO with ArticiaP chipset. No PCI-X to AGP hack nessecary.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 7 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:13 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (DaveP):
Remember that Bill Buck said that he tested a so called bug-fixed Articia and that the bug was still there....So there's no excuse for Genesi if this firmware upgrade fixes the CRC "problem".
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 8 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by catohagen on 23-Aug-2003 13:13 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Anonymous):
>All I know for sure is that my Pegasos with hardware fix works nicely, so >apparently they knew what was wrong and fixed it.

Here when copying files from primary ide <-> secondary ide whole machine
hangs..pegasos running mos1.4
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 9 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by itix on 23-Aug-2003 13:18 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (catohagen):
Can't say what April fix really does in detail. But without April fix DMA transfers are not safe on Pegasos. There are rumours about other Articia related problems.. But those are only rumours...
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 10 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:20 GMT
In reply to Comment 4 (catohagen):
Maybe the April 1 does a real bug-fix. The one that was also fixed in the new ArticiaS revision. But since you have no advantage over the competetive product anymore, you could "create" another bug and and release a new bugfix. This would give you a commercial advantage because it will cast doubt among the people. I know it's dirty, but you can expect anything from them.

Another option can be that they simple blamed the ArticiaS again for the data corruption issue. While it was the VIA this time. Which can be solved without an hardware fix but with a software fix. I call that incompetence. Especially when you're throwing mud and dirt to your competitor.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 11 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:23 GMT
> We're testing a patch for the U-Boot / Linux Kernel

Is it one patch for U-boot and one patch for Linux, or what's he trying to say? And what about AmigaOS?

Has anybody seen this patch? For some reason, anything made by Hyperion seems to take a very long time to return and contribute to the U-boot and Linux efforts...

> takes care of all USB related issues

What USB related issues? And didn't he say they were *testing* the patch? I suppose it's good if they can say that these issues are taken care of, even before testing is finished.

> IDE to IDE DMA transfers

What about *ALL* DMA transfers (ie. also those that have nothing to do with the old VIA bugs)? The kernel argument "ide=nodma" also "takes care" of IDE to IDE DMA transfers. ;-)

> conclusively proving that the issues are related to that Southbridge and not
> to the Articia S.

Is he dense? Does he think he needs to prove that known VIA bugs have nothing to do with the Articia bugs? Has that been in question?
He was speaking about *IDE* and *USB* - stuff handled by the VIA 686b.
Again, what about *ALL* DMA transfers?

The submitter wrote:
> Hopefully this will end all the FUD [YAAAAWN!!!] about these issue's once & for all.

Uh. So there's one guy *claiming* they're *testing* a fix to known bugs (which have been fixed for, what, half a decade in Linux for every other arch) that are unrelated to the Articia. What makes the submitter believe that this claim should prove the non-existence of alleged or real bugs in the Articia? Is it yet another case of a Bouma-like "confirmation"? ("but THEY told me they're on schedule and rocking, this and that is illegal, there are no bugs, wait - now there are bugs but they're fixed, and the Earth is flat, thus it's CONFIRMED and from now on it's an AXIOM! Anybody saying anything else is spreading FUD and being UNCONSTRUCTIVE! So there!")

Anyway, thanks to the submitter for sharing what's going on over at the Unworldly.net. It's a riot! :-D
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 12 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Remco Komduur on 23-Aug-2003 13:23 GMT
Like I said all along!

I have a degree in computer science and make it a habit of knowing what is in my machines. So I allready knew long before the AmigaOne that the 686B had a problem because both my PC motherboards have the chip. I allready knew the symptoms of the problem and are exactly the same with the AmigaOne.

The solution used in the BIOS by VIA doesn't actually hinder performance. That's why VIA chose to never make a hardware fix in the chip because that wasn't necessary.

My machine with a Thunderbird 1,4 GHz, 512 MB SD-RAM( PC-133) and a GeForce 4 Ti-4200 runs Desert Combat like a dream. And it even loads the game faster then a mate of mine who has a Penium 4 at 2 GHz with 512 MB RIMM!

My last remark; there is no single ONE solution in the computer world. A problem can be fixed in severall ways, all with the same result. The problem fixed with the same performance.

But then again, this whole business was about discrediting the AmigaOne and not sane behaviour by computer freaks who should have known what I said above! You people are a disgrase to the term computer freak.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 13 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 23-Aug-2003 13:24 GMT
In reply to Comment 7 (Anonymous):
Neither bPlan nor Thendic/Genesi ever received a revised Articia S from Mai directly.

This story is simply false.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 14 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:24 GMT
I would like to add that the IDE0 and IDE1 problem is still existing on Pegasos1. Even Laire recommends to not use the IDE1 bus. This has nothing to do with the ArticiaS problem and thus also not solvable with the April fixes. The April fixes all and alone cares for ArticiaS' problems. We all will see if there are similar problems with Pegasos2 if they switch to Marvell.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 15 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 23-Aug-2003 13:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 11 (Anonymous):
>What about *ALL* DMA transfers (ie. also those that have nothing to do with the old VIA >bugs)?

And you are the one calling me dense?

Re-read the original post.

ALL IRQ'S are being handled by the VIA 686B (A)PIC no matter which piece of hardware produces them (SCSI controller, different IDE controller, network card etc.).
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 16 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 23-Aug-2003 13:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 14 (Anonymous):
"I would like to add that the IDE0 and IDE1 problem is still existing on Pegasos1. Even Laire recommends to not use the IDE1 bus. This has nothing to do with the ArticiaS problem and thus also not solvable with the April fixes. The April fixes all and alone cares for ArticiaS' problems. We all will see if there are similar problems with Pegasos2 if they switch to Marvell."

What we want to see is both the Pegasoses and the AmigaOnes working 100% correctly. Any rumors of problems will affect the whole market and discourage potential buyers of either. Most people are already extremely doubtful about buying non-standard motherboards.

Hopefully both companies now have everything sorted.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 17 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 13:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Anonymous):
This is to stop all those anonymouses from saying that "it's broken beyond repair".

As for what solution is the best? I don't know, it depends on the impact of the fixes on performance, even a hardware fix can slow things down, so it's not always the better way.

I'm glad your satisfied with your pegasos tho :)

The important thing is, it is fixed/getting fixed

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 18 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Remco Komduur on 23-Aug-2003 13:42 GMT
In reply to Comment 17 (Amon_Re):
See my comment 12 above. On a PC there is no performance loss.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 19 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 13:42 GMT
In reply to Comment 16 (Don Cox):
Yep, Ive heard rumours that Marvel are going to drop the northbridge that Pegasos is using, but do I shout them all over the internet? Ooops just did. Point being, spreading rumours helps noone.

I have some interesting facts to post here soon ( not rumours like the above, that was just teasing you ).
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 20 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:45 GMT
In reply to Comment 13 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Well they could have bought an AmigaONE with bugfixed ArticiaS and solder the northbridge of. Do a little rebaaling like DCE claims they can, and reuse it on a Pegasos.

But unless they did that we just discovered another lie from Bill Buck??? Geesz. Is this guy prepared to do/and say everything to sell a Pegasos??
People actually trust a guy like that?? And this same people are bitching against AmigaInc??

I will ignore everything he says from now on.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 21 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 20 (Anonymous):
>Well they could have bought an AmigaONE with bugfixed ArticiaS and solder the >northbridge of. Do a little rebaaling like DCE claims they can, and reuse it >on a Pegasos.
soldered off and reballing
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 22 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by catohagen on 23-Aug-2003 13:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 19 (DaveP):
>Marvel are going to drop the northbridge that Pegasos is using

"There is no Pegasos without Marwel"
"There is no Genesi without Marwel"
"There is no buck without Marwel"

naah...i can't come up with as good wordgames as BBRV :)
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 23 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 13:53 GMT
In reply to Comment 11 (Anonymous):
*sigh*
Here goes:

>> We're testing a patch for the U-Boot / Linux Kernel
>
>Is it one patch for U-boot and one patch for Linux, or what's he trying to >say? And what about AmigaOS?

They are testing both implementations, the solution requires only one patch, it's the implementation they are still debating

(Will we throw this in the BIOS? Or in the driver/kernel?)

>Has anybody seen this patch? For some reason, anything made by Hyperion seems
>to take a very long time to return and contribute to the U-boot and Linux >efforts...

First of all, the fix isn't done by Hyperion, but by Mai & Adam (wich you would known had you read the article more carefully), and yes, there are already people using it.

It was also discussed about at the A1 lists

>> takes care of all USB related issues
>
>What USB related issues? And didn't he say they were *testing* the patch? I >suppose it's good if they can say that these issues are taken care of, even >before testing is finished.

There were issue's with the USB ports, they didn't work quite well, this patch solves the problem

>> IDE to IDE DMA transfers
>
>What about *ALL* DMA transfers (ie. also those that have nothing to do with >the old VIA bugs)? The kernel argument "ide=nodma" also "takes care" of IDE to >IDE DMA transfers. ;-)

ide=nodma is slow.

If you read the article clarefully you'd say that the problem was unserviced IRQ's (the IRQ's are handled by the VIA), this can cause problems with *anything*

>> conclusively proving that the issues are related to that Southbridge and not
>> to the Articia S.
>
>Is he dense? Does he think he needs to prove that known VIA bugs have nothing >to do with the Articia bugs? Has that been in question?
>He was speaking about *IDE* and *USB* - stuff handled by the VIA 686b.
>Again, what about *ALL* DMA transfers?

It seems you are dense, read the article again, look for the two words "unserviced IRQ's"

>The submitter wrote:
>> Hopefully this will end all the FUD [YAAAAWN!!!] about these issue's once & >for all.
>
>Uh. So there's one guy *claiming* they're *testing* a fix to known bugs (which >have been fixed for, what, half a decade in Linux for every other arch) that >are unrelated to the Articia. What makes the submitter believe that this claim >should prove the non-existence of alleged or real bugs in the Articia? Is it >yet another case of a Bouma-like "confirmation"? ("but THEY told me they're on >schedule and rocking, this and that is illegal, there are no bugs, wait - now >there are bugs but they're fixed, and the Earth is flat, thus it's CONFIRMED >and from now on it's an AXIOM! Anybody saying anything else is spreading FUD >and being UNCONSTRUCTIVE! So there!")

I have no relation to Mike Bouma, and it is wellknown that many PC systems haved simular fixes in their own BIOS and/or drivers.

The biggest problem is twofold: Getting *all* documentation from VIA and adapting known solutions for the A1, wich is a different beast then x86 eg.

I consider this part of your post most insulting to me, and Bouma, but i will refrain from lowering myself to your level

>Anyway, thanks to the submitter for sharing what's going on over at the >Unworldly.net. It's a riot! :-D

Yes, usefull info is always a riot.

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 24 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by catohagen on 23-Aug-2003 13:54 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (catohagen):
"Where the Dell is Marwel ?" :)
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 25 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 13:59 GMT
In reply to Comment 14 (Anonymous):
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=3&faq=1&Search=686B
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 26 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 14:01 GMT
In reply to Comment 24 (catohagen):
I used to live near Marwell Zoo
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 27 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 14:13 GMT
In reply to Comment 25 (Anonymous):
Interesting infor on the 686b bug from the PC world:

http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/motherboards/VIA-Problems.html
http://www.au-ja.org/review-kt133a-1-en.phtml
http://www.au-ja.org/review-kt133a-2-en.phtml
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2003-May/000329.html
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 28 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Sallin on 23-Aug-2003 14:28 GMT
In reply to Comment 13 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
bplan has no recent Articia revision ?
So, is Mai bullshiting you or are you bullshiting us ?
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 29 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 14:30 GMT
In reply to Comment 28 (Nicolas Sallin):
Or are BPlan BSing you... etc.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 30 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Ben Hermans/Hyperion on 23-Aug-2003 14:33 GMT
In reply to Comment 28 (Nicolas Sallin):
You have a problem with English Hennes.

I didn't say they don't have one, I dispute the story that Mai sent a bunch of revised Articia S to them and that you they "were thrown in the bin because they exhibited the same problems".

Which is an entirely ridiculous story if you stop and think about it because the old Articia S chips were happily used and sold.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 31 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by JoannaK on 23-Aug-2003 14:33 GMT
In reply to Comment 13 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Ben: Have you ever considered possibility that you might not actually
know everything that's going on? You seem so sure about other
companies works I really can't belive you'll have enough time tu run
your own, especially if you still have that dayjob of yours..
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 32 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Don Cox on 23-Aug-2003 14:37 GMT
In reply to Comment 26 (DaveP):
"I used to live near Marwell Zoo"

Did they have any trolls in the collection?
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 33 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 14:38 GMT
bPlan has hardware expert to find and solve problem.
EyeTech/Hyperion don't

It's clear that the problem comes from the ArticiaS.
It's just a fact.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 34 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 14:38 GMT
In reply to Comment 32 (Don Cox):
They are fictional characters Don.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 35 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DET Nicolas on 23-Aug-2003 14:42 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
With the April 1 or 2 patch ...
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 36 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Sallin on 23-Aug-2003 14:43 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
You have a problem with nicks, Ben Hormons.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 37 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 14:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 33 (Anonymous):
Wow such logic, such flair, such rubbish.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 38 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DET Nicolas on 23-Aug-2003 14:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (Ben Hermans/Hyperion):
Anyway, how can you blame Genesi while they are selling computer which acutally works.

I think that it's a fact that the Pegasos with April doesn't have problem while AmigaOne got DMA problem.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 39 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 14:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 36 (Nicolas Sallin):
Can we leave the petty insults at the door please?

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 40 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 14:50 GMT
In reply to Comment 38 (DET Nicolas):
Honest question, what is true about the primary ide controller to secondary ide controller copying causing the machine to crash?

What causes it if it's true?

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 41 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 14:50 GMT
In reply to Comment 38 (DET Nicolas):
Well you think wrong then. Next!
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 42 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Emeric SH on 23-Aug-2003 14:51 GMT
Excuse me. I have the recollection of -but I may be mistaken- that you have stated the AmigaONE Linux had all "well known" VIA issues already fixed, and there is no Articia bug. It was long before the CRC error appeared. (Which was questioned by many, and was not reproduced by even a single AmigaONE user up to this day, yet admitted by Hyperion (credit to them for that))

Is it a new bug, or you have simply released AmigaONE with an intentionally crippled OS?
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 43 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Nicolas Sallin on 23-Aug-2003 14:53 GMT
In reply to Comment 39 (Amon_Re):
Yes, that would be nice if Benjamin Hermans could strop trolling with
the same insult since several years.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 44 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Remco Komduur on 23-Aug-2003 14:57 GMT
In reply to Comment 33 (Anonymous):
Well, not a very good one then.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 45 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 15:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 42 (Emeric SH):
I don't follow you there, really, because this should be asked at Eyetech, they released the A1.

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 46 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 15:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 43 (Nicolas Sallin):
You're not helping....

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 47 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DET nicolas on 23-Aug-2003 15:21 GMT
In reply to Comment 37 (DaveP):
Do you really think Genesi would have develop a patch, produce it and then replace all the already sold machine if they could have solve the problem in software ?

Anyway, I can understand that some people wants to believe that they have a new Amiga and that it's working. But it's untrue !!
The last Amiga was the 4000.

the AmigaOne on the Pegasos are not an Amiga. Noone, will ever produce a new Amiga...
Maybe one day a really new computer (like the Amiga was) will be released but for now...

In conclusion, I'm a bit disappointed our community is totaly divided ... Some Muron, who bought the Amiga name try to kill last hope ...
I don't blame the user but the leader of some company.

Bye
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 48 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by DaveP on 23-Aug-2003 15:28 GMT
In reply to Comment 47 (DET nicolas):
> Do you really think Genesi would have develop a patch, produce it and then replace all the already sold machine if they could have solve the problem in software ?

Dont continue to try to confuse the issue. Genesi developed a patch for an earlier revision of Articia-S. Fell out with Mai after trying to make Mais name mud across the PPC arena also after claiming to be placing an order for substantially more chips than they really ever did. They then did not get access to the "fixed" Artica-S that is in the A1XEs right now.

There are second problems with how the VIA southbridge ( that t0553rs on these forums kept ascribing to Articia-S ) is initialised. This has now been fixed. This has NOTHING to do with April or Genesi.

"Anyway, I can understand that some people wants to believe that they have a new Amiga and that it's working. But it's untrue !! "

Well fuck me, I just posted using mine.


"The last Amiga was the 4000."
In your head.

"the AmigaOne on the Pegasos are not an Amiga."
A1 on the pegasos? I assume you mean "or". Thats your opinion but unfortunately for you most people think that AOS4 retains enough of the original source code and design to more than qualify branding an off the shelf parts PPC motherboard ( like the Pegasos is )AmigaONE an Amiga if the company that holds the "name" decides. AmigaDE is a different matter.

"Noone, will ever produce a new Amiga... "
Then go away :-)

"Maybe one day a really new computer (like the Amiga was) will be released but for now... "
Wishing on a star.....
In conclusion, I'm a bit disappointed our community is totaly divided ... Some Muron, who bought the Amiga name try to kill last hope ...
I don't blame the user but the leader of some company.
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 49 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re on 23-Aug-2003 15:28 GMT
In reply to Comment 47 (DET nicolas):
Your view on an amiga is different from mine, lots of people see an "amiga" differently.

For me, the defining factor is AOS, for some, it's the chipsets, etc etc.

This is a silly argument really, it's just a name :)

If AmigaOS4 were to be called YAOS i'd still buy it, because it *is* the closest thing to AOS we have, together with AROS.

I didn't mention MOS in that line because the goals of MOS are different from AROS & AOS4 their focus is the QBox, if i'm not mistaken

(YAOS > Yet Another Operating System)

Cheers
Ben Hermans about the A1 "bugs" : Comment 50 of 290ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous on 23-Aug-2003 15:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (catohagen):
>Here when copying files from primary ide <-> secondary ide whole machine
hangs..pegasos running mos1.4

Get it repaired. Unless it is a setup problem: With IDE, the cable comes to mind or a dip switch issue. Assuming that you have checked the drives' jumpers and have a good quality cable and the drives are not defective, return the board. It's your good right as a consumer to receive working hardware. I know there is no inherent problem because my Pegasos did never (ever) hang since day one. Unless of course you receive get one of those free or reduced boards with known issues.
Anonymous, there are 290 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 150] [151 - 200] [201 - 250] [251 - 290]
Back to Top