27-Jun-2017 00:08 GMT.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Anonymous, there are 139 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 139]
[News] Amiga in China!ANN.lu
Posted on 05-Oct-2004 15:58 GMT by Anonymous (Edited on 2004-10-05 18:47:21 GMT by Christophe Decanini)139 comments
View flat
View list
MAI LOGIC UNveiled the SMART TERMINAL at the Modern Computing Technology and Product Demonstration Forum IN CHINA

FREMONT, CA. Sep 15, 2004. Mai Logic Incorporated, a fabless IC and system design house specializing in designing and marketing innovative chipset and platform solutions for use in PowerPC microprocessor based applications, announced the Smart Terminal architecture at the Modern Computing Technology and Product Demonstration Forum on September 8, 2004, in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

Hosted and organized by Chinese E-Commerce Association, Chinese Aviation Technology Group, and Beijing-based ARC.9 Computing Co. Ltd., the main purpose of this forum is to introduce and promote the Smart Terminal having general desktop functions to accelerate adoption of Linux on PowerPC solutions for implementations in client devices, network computers (NC), and office automation (OS) systems for governmental, educational, financial, industrial, and commercial organizations in China.

The system architecture of the Smart Terminal is based on the Teron Mini platform, a Mini-ITX form factor (170mm X 170mm) mainboard which incorporates Mai Logic's Articia S chipset and IBM's latest PowerPC 750FX/GX microprocessor. Running on the open-sourced Linux OS, the "Ready for IBM Technology" certified Teron Mini makes the Smart Terminal a robust and reliable computer. Thanks to its compact size, low power consumption, low cost, and overall versatility, the Smart Terminal is ideally suited for the rigorous demands large mission-critical users. Multiple Smart Terminals can access applications at the server while running local Linux desktop applications simultaneously by utilizing a hierarchical, distributed architecture which links hundreds of systems together into one seamless network that reduces costs, accommodates consolidations, boosts security, and increase productivity. "The small size and performance power of the Smart Terminal provide distinct advantages to both customers and system integrators," said Jason, Hou, Chief Executive Officer of Mai Logic.

With technical assistance and support provided by IBM, California-based Mai Logic Incorporated and its affiliate, Inguard Incorporated, there were 300 hundreds of high-performance and diskless smart terminals setup in this event for demonstrating video broadcasting, video streaming, 3D game application, Linux Office Suite application, and RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client application. The on-site demonstration enabled all attendees to use new high-performance/low-power PowerPC Linux based Smart Terminals and experience a verity of applications it can offer.

In addition, IBM and Xi'an Jiaotong University announced a jointly established Linux research lab in the forum. Led by Inguard, IBM and China's Ministry of Education, this is the first Linux research lab located on the campus of a higher educational institute in China. As a part of China's 863 program (National High Technology Research and Development Program of China), this lab aims at providing a Linux educational platform toward the western China.

Estimated more than 300 people attended this event, including high-profile government officials from Ministry of Information Industry, scholars and experts from Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, managers of prospective and potential customers in electricity, petrochemical, financial, and telecommunication industries, executives of ARC.9, IBM, Mai Logic, and Inguard, as well as journalists from major media such as SINA, the largest Internet News Agency in China and Xinhua, the largest news agency in China.

[snip non-english links and company info]

Source: Mai Logic
Amiga in China! : Comment 1 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Neko (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 14:27 GMT
This is no Amiga, it's a Mai Logic Smart Terminal, running Linux.

Neko
Amiga in China! : Comment 2 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 14:36 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Neko):
@neko

Half the posts on this site are about Linux being shown running on a PegII so why should it be any different to have a post about Linux running on a miniA1 board?
Amiga in China! : Comment 3 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Leif (81.224.161.149) on 05-Oct-2004 14:44 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Agima):
What ?
You mean theese ? :)

The Amiga Pegasos II is present at yet another Freescale event!

Amiga, Pegasos, Freescale & Gentoo

Genesi Scandinavia presents the Amiga CrabFire Multi-purpose Firewall

Amiga Pegasos II used during Linux workshop at Freescale's smart Networks Developer Forum
Amiga in China! : Comment 4 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (195.148.82.17) on 05-Oct-2004 14:55 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Neko):
And those Genesi+Freescale news are not Amiga news either, not even MOS news
Amiga in China! : Comment 5 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (195.148.82.17) on 05-Oct-2004 14:56 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Agima):
Because he does not like it if some progress happens in the MAI+Eyetech+Hyperion side.
Amiga in China! : Comment 6 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Terry (200.42.212.12) on 05-Oct-2004 15:00 GMT
If the mini Teron follows on from the Teron CX/PX then you can expect a buggy board.
Amiga in China! : Comment 7 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 15:01 GMT
In reply to Comment 3 (Leif):
@Leif

The standard blue response is that it is "Amiga" news because selling the PegII in Linux boxes reduces the price of the PEG boards for people who want to run MorphOS and emulate 68k classic Amiga apps on it.

So then I say this post IS Amiga news for the same basic reason. Selling the MircoA1 boards as Linux boxes will reduce the price for people who want to run Amiga OS on them.

Why do you guys have to so hypicritical?
Amiga in China! : Comment 8 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Adam Kowalczyk (24.150.70.204) on 05-Oct-2004 15:03 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Neko):
Alan Redhouse and myself were there and a demonstration of OS4 was given in Beijing. It was a short presentation that demoes booting from CompactFlash on a completely solid-state system. Yes, no hard drives and no fans.....just quiet passive cooling.

Adam
Amiga in China! : Comment 9 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 15:05 GMT
In reply to Comment 6 (Terry):
>>If the mini Teron follows on from the Teron CX/PX then you can expect a buggy board.


Lets just change a few words in your quote:

"If the PegII follows on from the PegI then you can expect a buggy board."

PegI had plenty of bugs. Some PegI bugs were patched just like on the Teron sure, but the Peg I can't even use a standard G4 card reliably with out pairing and testing.

So should we all just have assumed the PegII would be faulty as well by using your reasoning?

Again, hypocricy from the blue side.
Amiga in China! : Comment 10 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Johan Rönnblom (193.11.251.131) on 05-Oct-2004 15:07 GMT
Anyone who understands Chinese and can tell us if there's anything
more interesting in the links?

This should be very important for MAI. It will be very interesting to
see if they have finally been able to make a sellable product. I hope
we will see more about this product soon, and from other sources.
Amiga in China! : Comment 11 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Kenshiro (62.255.64.8) on 05-Oct-2004 15:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Adam Kowalczyk):
Does this mean Amiga os4.0 will get chinese/mandarin locales?
Amiga in China! : Comment 12 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Mark (200.168.30.134) on 05-Oct-2004 15:08 GMT
In reply to Comment 5 (Anonymous):
Selling broken boards is hardly what i would call sucess, Mai + Eyetech + Hyperion are nothing more than deceitful crooks.
Amiga in China! : Comment 13 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 15:09 GMT
In reply to Comment 12 (Mark):
>>Selling broken boards is hardly what i would call sucess, Mai + Eyetech + Hyperion are nothing more than deceitful crooks.

Take a look at your own camp.. Bill Buck is a crook!
Amiga in China! : Comment 14 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Johan Rönnblom (193.11.251.131) on 05-Oct-2004 15:10 GMT
In reply to Comment 7 (Agima):
Well, OS4 fans like to tell us how the various AmigaOne models are not
at *all* the same as their Teron counterparts, so if we should believe
them, there's no immediate relation. However, I don't believe them, so
I think this news is very relevant here.
Amiga in China! : Comment 15 of 139ANN.lu
In reply to Comment 9 (Agima):
Message removed by Christophe Decanini for violation of ANN's posting rules.
Specific reason from moderator: Trolling
Amiga in China! : Comment 16 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Gregg (192.223.243.6) on 05-Oct-2004 15:20 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Agima):
This is no Amiga, it's a Mai Logic Smart Terminal, running Linux.

Neko


@neko

Half the posts on this site are about Linux being shown running on a PegII so why should it be any different to have a post about Linux running on a miniA1 board?


I never thought fishing was much of a spectator sport until I discovered the Internet.

Reel 'im in nice and slow, Neko...

Gregg
Amiga in China! : Comment 17 of 139ANN.lu
Message removed by Christophe Decanini for violation of ANN's posting rules.
Specific reason from moderator: Insult
Amiga in China! : Comment 18 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Ronald St-Maurice (67.68.29.218) on 05-Oct-2004 15:29 GMT
High performance, in 2004, at below 1GHz without Altivec? Right... <_<
Amiga in China! : Comment 19 of 139ANN.lu
Message removed by Christophe Decanini for violation of ANN's posting rules.
Specific reason from moderator: Impersonation
Amiga in China! : Comment 20 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 15:39 GMT
In reply to Comment 17 (Die Redhouse):
That's right Blue tolls... keep on tarnishing yourselves.
Amiga in China! : Comment 21 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 15:41 GMT
In reply to Comment 19 (Ben Hermans):
At least the Amiga microA1 are made in factories, not some retard colony in Nevada.
Amiga in China! : Comment 22 of 139ANN.lu
Message removed by Christophe Decanini for violation of ANN's posting rules.
Specific reason from moderator: trolling
Amiga in China! : Comment 23 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Joël EHRET (81.49.191.23) on 05-Oct-2004 15:43 GMT
8 september....mhh this is OLD news....and just when there is lots of "blue side good news"... strange isn't it ?
Amiga in China! : Comment 24 of 139ANN.lu
Message removed by Christophe Decanini for violation of ANN's posting rules.
Specific reason from moderator: Impersonation
Amiga in China! : Comment 25 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by JoannaK (213.130.199.15) on 05-Oct-2004 15:52 GMT
In reply to Comment 23 (Joël EHRET):
Yep.. This has been discussed on various boards weeks ago. Definitely not really 'fresh' news item.. I can't really remember IF it has been here before, so it may well been just forgotten.

But it shows couple interesting points.. Mai does no need Eyetech, it's not on their plan. Eyetech is not part of their deal on effort on making Teron boards build/sold on mainland china.

And I well understand why.. Linux has easily over thousandfold sales potential than OS4... OS4 simply costs too mucs, hasn't decent chinise support, has no applications etc..

But AlanR needs to push (in vain) OS4 because it's the only way he could get a Cut of it. He don't get a dime if Chinese select Terons instead of AmigaOnes.
Amiga in China! : Comment 26 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by hakon (193.219.28.144) on 05-Oct-2004 15:56 GMT
i don't see amiga mentioned here.
Amiga in China! : Comment 27 of 139ANN.lu
Message removed by Christophe Decanini for violation of ANN's posting rules.
Specific reason from moderator: foreign language
Amiga in China! : Comment 28 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Seehund (81.229.105.2) on 05-Oct-2004 16:02 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Adam Kowalczyk):
There's one thing I think is odd.

The Terons are designed and sold by the companies in the Atum group (Mai Logic, Atum Tech. Corp. and Inguard, IIRC). All these entities either are Taiwanese or are represented in China/Taiwan/Asia, and they're trying to market the Terons to the Asian markets with apparent emphasis on China.

Is it just yet another example of Alan Redhouse's creative use of the words "we" and "us" when we always hear him talk about "us" selling Terons and systems built with Terons to China? I mean, why would these companies turn to a little company in the UK to sell Atum's own products to Atum's "home" market? Why would Eyetech expect to compete successfully with the Asian companies on the Asian market with the Asian companies' own products?
Amiga in China! : Comment 29 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Tryo (217.81.227.173) on 05-Oct-2004 16:03 GMT
In reply to Comment 9 (Agima):
Isn't it funny? A couple of posts above you talk of some MiniTeron as "mA1" and now when it comes to bugs, you suddenly call it "Teron" :-)
Amiga in China! : Comment 30 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by mjohnson (213.100.161.216) on 05-Oct-2004 16:17 GMT
In reply to Comment 20 (Agima):
> That's right Blue tolls... keep on tarnishing yourselves.

Did I miss something? I thought "blue" was a reference to the Pegasos/MOS side of the community?

If that's still a valid assumption, then, I must ask, how do you know the poster of Comment 17 is a Peg/MOS user? (Or even a Peg/MOS supporter, if the "blue" term is to be interpreted in its wider sense?)

I'm confused...
Amiga in China! : Comment 31 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by JKD (69.4.128.193) on 05-Oct-2004 16:25 GMT
In reply to Comment 1 (Neko):
Look mummy, an evil blue troll ;-)

Nice one - shame most missed the point
Amiga in China! : Comment 32 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Agima (199.2.42.221) on 05-Oct-2004 16:31 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (mjohnson):
I'm psychic...
Amiga in China! : Comment 33 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 16:36 GMT
Ok, after the mods have deleted nearly every post in this thread, i'll reread it, way too much pettyfull insults, spoofs & other crap inhere right now.

About the news, this seems to confirm that the Teron mini (or µA1, i don't know if there's more differences between them other then the firmware) might be a worthwhile product.

To those going on about how MAI is backstabbing Eyetech... i think it's much more simple then that, i assume MAI/Eyetech share build orders, to reduce their own costs, if this is the case, and both the µA1 & teron mini are identical (except for the firmware) this would be very benificial for Eyetech/Amiga users.

Someone in this thread mentioned Chinese & Mandarin locales, i think it might be possible to localise AOS in these languages, or that there's been made a step in the right direction, seeing the freetype support, maybe someone from Hyperion will comment on this.

Also, we know Hyperion did the firmware for MAI, wich makes it plausible that Eyetech & MAI have a good relationship (how would MAI, or inguard & their other affiliates be aware of Hyperion?)

Well, enough speculation for now :P
Amiga in China! : Comment 34 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by pixie (82.154.54.220) on 05-Oct-2004 16:48 GMT
In reply to Comment 21 (Agima):
> At least the Amiga microA1 are made in factories...
And you are any better then a blue troll by saying this, how!? Show some decency! If not at others at least to yourself...
Amiga in China! : Comment 35 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by pixie (82.154.54.220) on 05-Oct-2004 16:49 GMT
In reply to Comment 22 (Ron Jeremy):
What's your problem with how other spend their money!? :?
Amiga in China! : Comment 36 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Anonymous (80.133.148.238) on 05-Oct-2004 16:51 GMT
In reply to Comment 8 (Adam Kowalczyk):
> Alan Redhouse and myself were there and a demonstration of OS4 was given in Beijing

The costs for a two person return trip to China could have financed an IDE replacement controller or audio replacement card for a lot of Earlybird customers.
Amiga in China! : Comment 37 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by pixie (82.154.54.220) on 05-Oct-2004 16:54 GMT
In reply to Comment 30 (mjohnson):
It's 2+2, a troll it is, and if it has no interest at all in AOS4 it has to be either blue or from AROS, AROS people aren't known to be that way, or just an fanatic anti Amiga... either of those he's totally meaningless
Amiga in China! : Comment 38 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by JoannaK (213.130.199.15) on 05-Oct-2004 17:01 GMT
In reply to Comment 33 (Amon_Re):
Yep.. Anything (allmost) is *possible* but is it feasible? Consider the for eample these three (for simplicity, only three) opinions chinese have?

Chines could get Gnu/Linux for free... With plenty of aplication softwares to run with Unifoce and chinese font support. And more made each day, a lot of Gnu licensed code is made IN china allready.

And for M$ ... well lately they have been shown giving good rebates to these 3rd world countries (like 90% off) if they only purchase legal versions. Not only for OS but also on Office etc apps.

Then.. OS4 (still at works) that costs 100€/system.. Essentially No applications available (those 3.x apps don't have Unicide suppport) and IIRC OS4 itself does not fully support Unicode either. 3rd party font engine (FT2) have it, but many key parts don't.

And.. I'm not saying that governments would have any corrupted people amongs them .. But .. Just in case.. Who do you tink would have enough money to offer decent Kickbacks? AlanR or BillG ?
Amiga in China! : Comment 39 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 17:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 38 (JoannaK):
I don't see how your points contradict or invalidate mine, sorry.

I do agree with your point on AOS4, it's not mature enough (yet?), but the 100$ per licence doesn't nessesarily hold true, many software houses have diverse licensing agreements depending on the number of licences involved.
Amiga in China! : Comment 40 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 17:11 GMT
Found this in a thread on aw.net:

"Beijing-based Arc 9 Computer Inc last week announced plans to launch an industrial computer joint venture in Canada.

The venture will produce industrial computers equipped with IBM PowerPC's central processing units and Mai Logic P's Articia chips for industrial control systems of industrial and manufacturing companies in Canada.

The venture, to be officially launched soon, is expected to be listed on Canada's capital market.

Previously, the company forged a strategic alliance with US-based high-tech firm Inguard Incorporated to produce its Teron-type personal computers for Chinese and overseas markets."
Amiga in China! : Comment 41 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by mjohnson (213.100.161.216) on 05-Oct-2004 17:31 GMT
In reply to Comment 37 (pixie):
> It's 2+2, a troll it is, and if it has no interest at all in AOS4
> it has to be either blue or from AROS

Ehm, suuuure. Obviously...tsk, tsk..


> or just an fanatic anti Amiga...

You know, there is that possibility also, yeah.

Or it's some sh*t-for-brains w*nker with nothing better to do than to post cr*p wherever he sees fit. Regardless of which direction it's aimed at, for the sole purpose of stirring up some trouble. There are, after all, a few of those around in this community, in case you haven't noticed.

I just don't see the the need to jump to conclusions and immediately pin-point someone as a member of any "camp" whenever that someone wants to put their idiocy in the spotlight.
Amiga in China! : Comment 42 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Amon_Re (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 17:32 GMT
In reply to Comment 41 (mjohnson):
Just ignore all the crap, i've learned to do it, so can you :P
Amiga in China! : Comment 43 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Christophe Decanini (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 17:36 GMT
Some people don't get that some of these posts are just posted here to provocate people and to detoriate the site.
Ignore and think twice before blaming it on the other "side".
Amiga in China! : Comment 44 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Troels (80.62.224.221) on 05-Oct-2004 17:51 GMT
arrgh.. Some people just NEVER grow up.

Why don't you MOS/Pegasos guys simply stick to Morphzone and the news here on ANN that are relevant to you?
Why do we need that constant trolling and why is there no decent moderation on this site???
Amiga in China! : Comment 45 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Christophe Decanini (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 18:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 44 (Troels):
-1- The people who are trolling are:
- Sometimes blue acting as blue trolls
- Sometimes red acting as red trolls
- Sometimes blue acting as red trolls
- Sometimes red acting as blue trolls
- Sometimes people neither blue, neither red who want people to insult each others (which may happen more than you think).
- Sometimes people proud to be part of a "clean site" who like to troll here while bashing ANN an the "clean site".

-2- What is decent moderation ? Some people want no moderation at all, some people want to remove post from anyone not agreeing with them.
It looks that I'm doing most of the moderation here and I can not keep up with cleaning the comments not in line with ANN posting rules.

If you guys want a better ANN:

Post informative news in a clean manner without opinions.
Ignore the people trolling.
Try to stay on topic.
Respect each other.

Maybe user registration is the only way to control the site.
If you think that ANN is important to you, make a donation so Christian can invest spending some time on improving it.
Amiga in China! : Comment 46 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Neko (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 19:06 GMT
In reply to Comment 2 (Agima):
@Agima;

Because when we post about Linux on Pegasos, we DON'T bleat about it being a coup for MorphOS.

I don't see any mention of Amiga in the Mai press release. For all intents and purposes, Mai and Amiga are not related whatsoever.

Neko
Amiga in China! : Comment 47 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Neko (Registered user) on 05-Oct-2004 19:07 GMT
In reply to Comment 46 (Neko):
.. and is not, therefore, "Amiga in China!" as the thread title states.

Neko
Amiga in China! : Comment 48 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Troels (80.62.224.221) on 05-Oct-2004 19:28 GMT
In reply to Comment 45 (Christophe Decanini):
I know you are not that many moderators here and that I was only directing my message at the so called "blue camp".

It would be nice if both "camps" thought a little about what actually interested them and if they had any constructive comments to write.
I'm not saying that we can't comment on a MOS/PEG news item if we are A1 owners (or vice versa) but just that we should be more aware that people are likely to consider the post a flame.

It's just sad to see every thread go off topic allready from message one, because someone feels the need to troll or people mistakenly thinks its a troll post.
I feel that most of the actual troll posts are often from the same people and I guess it's a weakness of ANN. Not many forums works without warnings and banning (for a period) people from time to time.

I wish you could be more moderators, don't like user logins, often harms number of posts.
Amiga in China! : Comment 49 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Johan Rönnblom (193.11.251.131) on 05-Oct-2004 19:29 GMT
In reply to Comment 47 (Neko):
Well, of course it's funny how this "non-Amiga" is now suddenly an
"Amiga" when there's something that looks like good news (well, it's
just a press release from the maker, but anyway.. :).

But in reality, the Teron and the AmigaOne *are* the same thing, but
with different badges. Which means that this news *is* relevant. Maybe
old, but I hadn't seen it before.


As for why Eyetech care about China, well, if they are still exclusive
European distributors for the Terons, I guess they simply hope that
this will be a hit so that they can sell it here, too. It will be very
interesting to see how Linux works on this machine. If it doesn't work
properly this time, I guess we won't see much more of MAI.
Amiga in China! : Comment 50 of 139ANN.lu
Posted by Troels (80.62.224.221) on 05-Oct-2004 19:34 GMT
In reply to Comment 47 (Neko):
Come on Neko, offcourse it is related to Amiga and Mai is related to the Amiga.

The Smart terminal is the basis for the MicroA1 and therefore it is relevant to Amiga and not far fetched to write Amiga in China.
Apart from that OS4 was demoed at the same event and on the Smart Terminal.

(I don't want to discuss whether Pegasos/linux news are relevant here, I don't mind them being here).
Anonymous, there are 139 items in your selection [1 - 50] [51 - 100] [101 - 139]
Back to Top